How much to replace this piece?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at a viper. Pretty much a few stone chips in the front, which isn't hard to assess the repairs. This is also broken on the door. Can anyone tell me the approx price to replace it? A small fortune?
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Also, what is suppose to be on that right side of the console. looks like some badge or something used to be there?

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing stock is supposed to be there, previous owner probably had some cell phone holder or something.

What would have happened to the door to damage the stanchion?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like he said - Nothing. Looks like someone wanted to play Smokey and the Bandit.

The weatherstrip damage shown is common and a result of a window being slightly too tall and stressing the seam over time. Glue-able to save money. I bought a new one (more than $300!) but glued the old to save it for later.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like he said - Nothing. Looks like someone wanted to play Smokey and the Bandit.

The weatherstrip damage shown is common and a result of a window being slightly too tall and stressing the seam over time. Glue-able to save money. I bought a new one (more than $300!) but glued the old to save it for later.

hmmm, those holes on the armrest would drive me nuts. I'd have to find something cool looking to cover it.

I am not sure what they did as far as damaging the weather stripping. I don't think I'd spend $300 new, but maybe wait until someone has a good used set. as long as it doesn't keep damaging....

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like nitrous arming switches might have been mounted there. look around for more clues

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my guess would be cup holder for the holes towards the back...i noticed some marks on the seat and a cell phone or gps holder towards the front...if you are getting a good price on the car i would buy and fix at my convenience

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my guess would be cup holder for the holes towards the back...i noticed some marks on the seat and a cell phone or gps holder towards the front...if you are getting a good price on the car i would buy and fix at my convenience

Ya, i agree. I just know some viper parts are a small fortune and I don't want to lose my shirt on replacing somewhat simple/smaller parts. We agreed on a price, but my dad had to go, so I will see if they will take the price+ a stanchion at cost.

That stanchion looks hideous in pictures, so I wasn't sure how much it would cost to replace. is that where the weatherstripping meets the frame?

I think it's a good deal. Probably better deals in USA, but keep in mind I have to pay a number of border fees + shipping + provincial inspection (add $1500-$2000 onto the USA price and who knows how much for the Provincial inspection). There is only 25,000km ($15,000miles) for $35000US (Certified+e-tested) Does anyone know if this is a descant price for a Canadian Viper?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anyone? I'm hoping to possibly jump on this tomorrow and amlooking for some guidance. Would you consider this arm-rest as minor and possibly some emblems could go over without looking like cheese, or the holes filled and painted? Otherwise looks like a good deal from what i've seen other Canadian Vipers priced at, and low mileage

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Me again :) Have a few questions..What do you mean by someone playing smokey and the bandit

Also, I noticed in the picture that the weatherstipping on the frame is bent...I think that's what you were talking about, but look at the weatherstripping part on the black part of the door....is that weatherstripping lifted up, or some broken plastic piece? It's hard to know and you knowledgable guys might know what it is

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
About the price. What year is it? Any modds? The price seems ok, depending on the shape of the car. I just bought mine in the spring. They cost a little more in Canada then they do in the US. I looked in the US because they were cheaper, but not when it came time to pay all our taxes, border fees and gas gusler fees.
And i second the Carfax or Carproof. Those are a must.
Where in Canada are you?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But remember that Carfax can only confirm that its been in an incident.....a clean Carfax absolutely doesn't mean "no incidents".....they can be unreported or, worse yet, get reported 5 years later after you own the car! Best idea is to have it inspected by someone who knows these cars.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Smokey, exactly. Joking of course.

Re: Weatherstriping. Not sure what year GTS this is, but early models (1996 & 1997 at least) have side windows that were too tall and stretched the weatherstrip to the point that it broke over time in the fashion that you see. All of them will do it eventually. The "repair" for 1996 GTS at least, mandatorially came in a kit that included new notched or shorter side window and cost over $700. At some point they killed the mandate and the stantion became generally available, but gluing the weatherstrip provides the incremental space that precludes the need for the smaller window.

A nice warranty item if yours broke within the first year, but they typically didn't until after the orginal warranty was over and rarely did the extended warranty cover it, hence mine are glued. Not pristine, but servicable.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About the price. What year is it? Any modds? The price seems ok, depending on the shape of the car. I just bought mine in the spring. They cost a little more in Canada then they do in the US. I looked in the US because they were cheaper, but not when it came time to pay all our taxes, border fees and gas gusler fees.
And i second the Carfax or Carproof. Those are a must.
Where in Canada are you?

It is a 1997. No mods noted. The shape of the car is good, except for the front bumper having some stone chips and the lip below is missing a some paint. The bumper needs a repaint for sure. I agree that after alot of studying up, the Vipers do cost more in Canada, or perhaps there are alot less so people tend to high-ball them a bit. There are air-conditioning fees, tire levey fees, etc etc at the border. Add privincial inspeaction and $1500'ish in shipping and it's not really a better deal.

My dad took is for a test drive and said he was very let-down about the speed. Said his 96 Vette was faster (he no longer has the vette so it wasn't a vetter/viper rivalry jab)

The a/c doesn't work, but they said they'd have the sanchion fixed by a window shop (not replaced, but fixed) and they will repair the a/c for the price.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would do like Drumrboy said and bring it some where so they can have a real good look at it. They will see and find things that wouldn't. Kinda like a home inspecter. But IMO there are quite a few vipers out there in that price range, so you should be able to shop around and compair. Take your time and when you find the right one you will know it.

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
But remember that Carfax can only confirm that its been in an incident.....a clean Carfax absolutely doesn't mean "no incidents".....they can be unreported or, worse yet, get reported 5 years later after you own the car! Best idea is to have it inspected by someone who knows these cars.
I bought mine in the states, the only extra cost compared to buying in Ontario is the RIV fee ($207.00). If it has a rebuilt title you will need to have a structural safety certificate (approx $650.). Ontario does not recognize rebuilt titles from the states. I agree don't trust the CarFax!
I am sure a fellow club member would look at the car for you before you decide to commit.
Doesn't sound right that your Dad thought his Corvette was faster???
Good Luck

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a 1997. No mods noted. The shape of the car is good, except for the front bumper having some stone chips and the lip below is missing a some paint. The bumper needs a repaint for sure. I agree that after alot of studying up, the Vipers do cost more in Canada, or perhaps there are alot less so people tend to high-ball them a bit. There are air-conditioning fees, tire levey fees, etc etc at the border. Add privincial inspeaction and $1500'ish in shipping and it's not really a better deal.

My dad took is for a test drive and said he was very let-down about the speed. Said his 96 Vette was faster (he no longer has the vette so it wasn't a vetter/viper rivalry jab)

The a/c doesn't work, but they said they'd have the sanchion fixed by a window shop (not replaced, but fixed) and they will repair the a/c for the price.

No disrespect to your dad but I have owned about 30 Corvettes, still own a big block 69, I owned several C5's including a 96 and there is NO way 330HP feels faster than 450HP. If it really did feel slower you have an engine problem and need someone to really go over this car.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried "glue" twice and it didn't hold up. Too much pressure from the window.

It set me back a grand to replace both stanchions (parts and labor).

Needless to say, I drive a lot now with the window down.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Gorilla Glue and so far it's been fine. Messy since it expands as it cures but with careful trimming with a razor and a black permenant marker, only noticable to me.

MontrealSoft

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just tried to glue mine and it doesn't want to stay. I might give up and drill a small hole to put a plastic plug like the bottom one has.

As for the Viper slower than a Vette, I think I can understand, it probably is only a "feeling" and have something to do with the power curve.
I used to own Eagle Talons(Mitsu Eclipse)... actually 8 of them. The thrill I used to have while the turbo kicked in (3000-5000rpm) I don't have with the Viper.
The "seat of the pants" feeling is not there, but there is no question, only a few, well dressed DSM can succeed outrunning a stock Viper.

I am from canada too, and a friend of mine just imported a '99 Viper. The importation stuff is quite basic and easy, unless it's a wrecked car.
I imported a car and a bike in the past years and beside having to pay can&prov taxes, both inspections and adding daytime running lights, that was quite easy.

For your info, mine was a canadian wrecked/rebuilded '2000 RT/10 for much cheaper than the price you mentionned. (but lacking a few cosmetic parts)

Good luck with your purchase !

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, good to see that the sanchion is a common thing, and not from abuse on the car i'm looking at. A replacement sancion in Canada is $1200 at teh Dodge dealer...gotta love being ripped off as a Canadian. That's why I buy online/American every chance I get to save some $. They are bringing it to a window shop to get them to do what they can, and then I guess it's something I can worry about down the road.

The a/c is a must fix though.

On another note, the only Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/Jeep vehicle that we cannot import into Canada is the 1996 Viper R/T. It has me confused as to why..