How to Drive a Viper

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave it sounds like it would be well worth the trip. Now do you drive your own car or can they provide one?

Mike, you will drive your own car. A few years ago, ViperDays provided an SRT-4 Neon that you could rent, and I hear rumors that this program might return. Some might laugh at driving an SRT-4 Neon, but these cars are simply amazing. My wife tracks her SRT-4 Neon and I love watching some Viper owners figure out how they were beat by a 4-cyl car.

When you attend a NARRA event, I would highly suggest that you take a ride(s) with some accomplished drivers. Many of the racers will take you for a ride, particularly on Fridays or Sunday afternoons. This is a great way to feel the car at its limits, learn techniques, and simply just have fun. One of the reasons that I instruct is to learn. When I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I can see things from a different perspective. When I'm racing, I then have two "views" that prove very useful.

Also, make sure you go to class! In the pits, don't hesitate to approach drivers to ask questions. NARRA is a family! You'll find everyone is very helpful!!

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that I am a first time new owner of a new Viper and after reading all of the warnings everyone has posted I would like to learn how to drive this car safely. I live in Wisconsin and I would like to take a class that I can drive to if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions on driving classes for Viper owners? I would prefer to dive a Viper in class.
When the spring driving season begins, before you take your new Snake out for the first time, remember to go back and read the "Keeping new Viper owners safe-a how-to" thread again. Then re-read it, and believe what you have read. That should keep you safe on the street until you have the opportunity to get some training from a qualified instructor (which you definitely should do!).

The unfortunate reality is, that most Viper crashes occur on the street, not the track, and that the majority are due to driver error. Remember:

Smooth - every input, every time!

Attitude - the vital difference between a safe Viper driver and an accident waiting to happen! Before you drive the Snake, PARK the ego!

Focus - hands on the steering wheel and shifter only, and brain fully engaged at all times!

Experience - if you don't have it, go easy until you get it! New Vipers need a break-in period; so do new Viper drivers!!

Tires - Critical! Make sure they are fresh, properly matched, properly inflated, and warmed up!

You - Serious, Responsible, Courteous, and Self-disciplined! The last word in SAFETY!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I'm convinced! NARRA Viper Days are here at the end of February. I'll get some new tires and the suspension set up. There isn't any event info on the NARRA site for MSRC.:dunno:

What is the typical cost and which track will be used?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude