how to install B&M short shifter (ripper shifter)

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a relatively easy job to install from under the car. I have a write-up that gives step by step instructions. E-mail me and I will send it to you in a Word file.

There is another way to install it from inside the car, but this requires drilling out some very hard rivets and can make a big mess inside the car. My way is easier if you have some jack stands, a floor jack, and basic wrenches.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We recommend that you drop the tranny when you install it; that's what we do. It eliminates any drilling in the tranny tunnel getting through those TOUGH stainless rivets.
No better time to upgrade the Flywheel and Clutch! We have both in stock.
Call me if you have any questions or trouble with the installation.408.562.1000.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a short throw shifter from SVSi and performed the installation myself. I spoke with SVSi regarding installation and learned that they remove the transmission to R&R the shifter. If you have the resources and equipment, I suppose that may be a reasonable alternative. If your an "at home do-it-yourselfer" as I am, that's not a realistic option.

The shifter can indeed be effectively and relatively easily R&R’d from above. The console is easily removed, then comes the shifter boot. Not the leather one which is simply there for ascetic reasons; the rubber one that insulates the passenger compartment from noise and outside air (fumes).

Tip #1 - The factory uses hardened metal rivets to secure the rubber boot (eight as I recall) so be prepared to remove them with a good 3/8" drill, an assortment of sharp drill bits, and lot's of care and patience. This is the most difficult part of the job. Cover the seats, carpets, etc. to avoid metal chips from embedding themselves into the interior and have a vacuum cleaner standing at the ready.

Once the boot is removed, open up the holes in the boot and tunnel (just a bit) to just a touch over 0.310". This facilitates the use of "nylon screw rivets - 0.310" diameter, grip 0.100" to 0.240" (available from Pep Boys). They work incredibly well, look absolutely factory installed, and allow for easy R&R should that become necessary in the future.

Tip #2 - There are four 13 mm hex bolts holding the shifter assembly into the transmission. The two on the left are easily removed using a ratchet, extension and socket. The right front bolt is moderately easy to remove with a flat wrench. The right rear bolt, however, is in a relatively inaccessible location, hence the reason some would rather R&R the transmission than deal with this one bolt. Not to worry; here's the key.

Using a 7/8” hole saw, drill an access hole in the transmission tunnel (almost directly) above the right rear shifter bolt. The hole should be located between the ash tray cavity and the tunnel reinforcement rib. This will allow you to easily R&R the subject bolt and is in no way detrimental to the structural integrity of the tunnel or console. After reinstalling the right rear shifter bolt, install a thin 7/8” plastic body plug (available at most paint and body shop supply outlets) to cover the hole. This is a totally acceptable and effective method of plugging the hole.

I spent an inordinate amount of time gaining this knowledge and completing the job. As a result, your installation time should be about 50% less than mine was. Everything works perfectly and I’m extremely pleased with the result.

Good Luck ………. ACR Joe

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what's involved in installing the B&M short shifter/ripper shifter in the Viper? Is it a major job? Or can a do-it-yourselfer type do it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala