How to keep your garage floor dust free

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my car in my warehouse at work. The floor is coated in epoxy and we mop it every month or so. Even after mopping the floor, as soon as it dries you can see a super fine layer of dirt/dust left behind. I'd park my freshly detailed car and withing two days, the car is very dusty.

Trying to find a better solution, I grabbed the mop and sprayed it with Pledge furniture polish. I then proceeded to "dry mop" the entire floor. It totally pick up all the dirt/dust and left the floor squeaky clean. My car stayed dust free for over a week. Soooo I figured if Pledge did that good of a job, why not try something that's designed for a dry mop situation. I picked up two aerosol cans of dry mop treatment spray. One is oil based, one is water based. I also picked up a couple of new mop heads from Home Depot and treated each to see how superior this stuff would be. Well, I am suprised to find out that I really think the Pledge actually did a better job. They are all priced within a buck or two of each other, but you can buy Pledge just about anywhere. The speciality product was at a janatorial supply house.

So now instead of wet mopping the warehouse floor, we just dry mop it weekly with Pledge and get it dust free and clean that way. I do find that having the mop just slightly damp with water makes the whole process even better. Saves huge amount of time, works better at grabbing the dust and my car stays cleaner longer (plus the warehouse is cleaner from airborne dust). We wash the mop heads, retreat and they are ready to go.

I don't see why this wouldn't work in the home garage, etc. Keep the car clean, shoes coming into the house clean, etc.

Just FYI.

Cheers,
George

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be afraid to try that on my Epoxy finished garage floor. I'd probably have a skating rink after the Pledge was put down.:omg:

Sounds like a good idea on a concrete floor though.;)

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Pledge will work for a while, then the small build up will actually trap dirt and dust, not to mention making the floor very slick.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, not slippery at all. You spray the mop, not the floor. The mop becomes a giant dust cloth (like a swiffer). The floor was actually more slippery with the fine film of dust/dirt than being squeaky clean. It is actually grippy when it's clean.

Now that I think back on it, the floor was actually very slippery when it was dirty and got wet. When it's clean, it is no where near as slippery when wet. We drive a forklift, move pallets, boxes, etc on this floor, so even though it is epoxy, it does have "hairline" scratches in it that do make it less slippery than a pristine polished floor.

I do not recommend spraying any product directly on the floor...that would get slippery.

Cheers,
George

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a type of plastic sheeting over fine birch plywood to make camera moves on movie sets. In between set ups (the two layer floor is picked up and moved for each camera angle) I use pledge on a dust mop to remove all the stage dirt that ends up on the plastic during our camera moves. It works great.