How toget a Gen I to 460+ crank HP?

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a proven fromula for gettting a Gen I viper to 460+ crank HP?

Also, at this number, what would the torque be?

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bigr1 find out what a Hennessy Venom 500 or 550 package entails and those upgrades should get you the numbers you're looking for. Full exhaust, K & N's, tubes, roller rockers, etc.

Jonathan

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, that is easy; if you go to this site and look at the mods applied to Gen 1 cars, you will see many with over 395 Rear wheel HP.: 396/.85 = 464.7, Crank/flywheel HP. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mes13310/mods.htm
Mine is the second 1996 RT/10 listed there with smooth tubes and filters, and 3" Corsa Cat back exhaust, and pulled 405 Rear Wheel HP, which converts: 405/.85 = 476.85 Crank/flywheel HP.
If you think 15% loss is too much, then even only 12% loss gives:
405/.88 = 460.2
Later,

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bigr1,
After re-reading your question and your mods, you should be there now. Go to a Dyno and see.
The above mentioned site shows many 94-95 (side pipe cars) with the HP you desire.
Later,

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how true to form those numbers are??? where do you think i stand right now with the mods listed below???

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also curious at to what 1/4 E.T (est) you guys think this car will pull? How about a 0-60 mph (est)????

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have yet to Dyno my car, but give the speed through the traps (115, first time after the mods), I think I am at 410-415 at the wheels (weight of car and drive 3680). There is a formula that will help with the calculations for the number. I have one more mod to do (rockers and TB's) after which I hope to be at 430-440 at the wheels. Using the 15% loss in drive train (average) I think this puts the car at 505-513 at the crank. At least this is my guess.

Mike

Reaction score
My GENI had Edelbrock headers, Borla Cat Back, K&N filters, stock intake tubes. Rear Wheel HP 397. with a nice (20-30) improvement in the mid-range(2000-4500 RPM) HP/Torque over stock

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im Not sure abou RWHP, but with Belanger headers, 3" cat less sidepipes, K&N and tubes does my Gen1 pull down 11.85/120Mph on the 1/4 mile. I would say that I have atleast 450 crank hp.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JP,
Was that time made with slicks or street tires? At your MPH, you should be around 425 to the wheels, which at a drivetrain loss of 15%, equates to 500 at the crank. If incorrect, somebody make the correction please.

Mike

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had smooth tubes, 3" exhaust (no cats) and it pulled 410HP/476TQ. It did (with crappy Michelins) 12.2 and 117MPH.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a proven fromula for gettting a Gen I viper to 460+ crank HP? <P>Also, at this number, what would the torque be?<P>

That shouldn't be that hard. Most stock GenI's with little to no mods will pull at least 390 RWHP. I guess everyone is using the formula of 10-15% drive train loss. So one pulling almost 400RWHP x 15%=60 that would make the at the crank numbers around 460. As far as torque goes the GenI's also make the same amount of torque if not slightly more. One rule of thumb to me is Torque is just as important because torque is what moves you and HP is what keeps you going. Right? I know everyone is into being the dyno queen but dynos are not that fair to naturally aspirated motors. A motor sitting still on the dyno going 140mph is nothing but a pump sucking what it can. I don’t think a squirrel cage in the grill constitutes as moving air as much as the car can. Since Blower/Turbo cars are always forcing air they seem to benefit more when it comes to dyno numbers. Now let's talk real world. I've seen most Blower (Sean’s) cars running low 11's. Now those are the ones that are basically stock motors with just the blower. Now I'm sure someone will chime in and say they are running in the 10's but I don't think there is many out there as one might think. I'm running a GenI that's running low 11's and traps of over 125mph I have nothing but head work,GenII parts and some bolt ons. The last Dyno for me was 490RWHP and it pulled 510RWTQ. If you do the math, that’s 560 at the crank. So I'm basically got 100 more horses on tap over stock. Actually only 80 since mine is a GenI 1/2 (96's were 415hp).

I recommend Dan @ DC. He is one tuner that knows genI's not to mention he is one heck of a guy. He's posted many 500RWHP GenI cars on this site and all were NA cars. He helped me extensively with my build up. While most of it was over the phone I purchased what I needed from him and went from there.

Now here is the funny part. :bonker:
When I bought my car it was virtually stock. With me driving it, I could hardly crack in the 12's. Now if you are a dyno/bench racer and you take my stock (what it should have been) dyno numbers and now add 100 more HP. How could I be running now in the low 11's (11.27 is my best). My 60 foots are not that much greater (1.90's). Traps are over 10mph faster. That's why I hate Dynos for NA cars. They don't mean as much ! Or do they?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have nothing but head work,GenII parts and some bolt ons.

Your post caught my eye since I also have a 96 RT/10. Could you share some more details on the "Gen II parts and bolt-ons"?
Thanks.

Even though this is a 4 year old thread, seems there's still some interest in Gen I power.

My 95 made 469 RWHP and 560 RWTQ, up from the 376 RWHP and 470 RQTQ when virtually stock.

Here is what was done to it. Heads done (ported and polished intake, exhaust runners and combustion chambers, stainless 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust valves, valve job, valve springs, valve seals, and titaniam retainers), Crower stage I cam, Long tube headers, borla 3" mufflers, no cats and Gen II fuel injectors.

Total cost might be around $6500 for parts. It cost me more because I had the entire motor rebuilt at the same time. Over all I am happy with the power it makes, and when I need the big power I spray it with a 200 shot of N2O.

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
460 crank HP is easy. Exhaust and intake upgrades will get you there if not close. VEC II will also get you there and beyond when added to the other mods listed above.