HP Numbers

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddie,

The unknowns in your combination are the ported heads and the cam. They could improve your power as much as 80-100 hp over stock, or they could do you no good at all. It all depends on the rest of the combination and the quality of the headwork.(in my 20+ years of drag racing mopars and other name brand cars, I have bought and tried many, many camshafts that didn't work as advertised.......the cam needs to be suited to the rest of the combination.) The stock cam is GREAT for nitrous as it is long in duration with a tight lobe centerline. What are the specs of your cam?(duration at .050 and lift both intake and exhaust.

Considering the above, your Gen 1 car should make between 450-500 rwhp. My only concern with your combination is the Edelbrock headers. They add little to no power and may in fact hinder your performance as you continue to add mods to the engine.

0-60 times are hard to tell without that type of timing equipment, 1/4 mile trap speeds should be in excess of 120 mph. 60 foot times will vary with tires. Remember that just because you add power, your 60' times may not improve without either better tires, and better driving skills as the viper is already on the outer edge of traction in 1st gear from the factory. It is imperitive that the power gets to the pavement in a 1/4 mile run during the first 60 feet of the race or elapsed time will suffer extensively.

With nitrous, again the combination of mods has to be considered, but expect at least 600 rwhp and 700 ft/lbs torque and consistant 10 second 1/4 mile e.t's even on stock tires with proper driving technique.

I will have a video available very soon that is a complete and comprehensive look at drag racing the viper.( the drag strip test is the ONLY REAL WORLD METHOD of determining actual rear wheel horsepower)

best of luck,

tom
Http://btrviper.com

Reaction score
FastFreddie -
I love the older roadsters....
Just wish they were as easy to get down the track as their predecessor the GTS. For years I fought hard to get the most power from them and never had more fun doing it.

I estimate your current trap speed for the mods you have; 118 - 119 MPH on motor.
ET - for street tires approx. 12.1 - 12.2 . on motor.

On spray (lets say 125 - 150 shot) about 123 - 126 MPH.
ET - low 12's or high eleven's on **street tires**.

Print this post and bring it along with you the next time you visit the track. I would like to know how far off I am.

You've got a great car and enjoy the power,
Doug

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you did a good job scouring the Performance Parts page! It is nice to see someone willing to put the pieces together on their own. We are seeing more and more folks buying the components and building the car "their way"....... and loving it!

As long as your cam/computer are spec'ed for the intake/heads/exhaust changes, it should be hot... the cam and and engine controller will be the things that really need to be right to make all the components work together

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FastFreddie:
Doug
Thanks for the input. Im wondering how the mods im about to finnish are any different than HMS 550 package. HMS claims 11.2 1/4 ET. with no nitrous. Im thinking it has to be way better than that on the bottle.

FastFreddie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> IMHO, I'm not sure by means comparison to one of John Hennessey's cars. I can certainly say we have seen some 500 - 550 and other HMS cars pass though our shop and they are WELL capable of posting respectable track times; So an 11.2 with slicks/skinnies and a good 60' time should be obtainable.

Keep in mind when you assemble an engine package to run strong on motor, It may not be as efficient on spray. So set your sights on what would best suits your needs and GO FOR IT!

Doug

Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jay Herbert:

As long as your cam/computer are spec'ed for the intake/heads/exhaust changes, it should be hot... the cam and and engine controller will be the things that really need to be right to make all the components work together

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well said Jay!

We see too many DYI engine packages not well planned that are either over-cammed or over-ported that prohibit good engine performance. Hence, the PCM will not properly recognize signal inputs to allow for proper engine mapping. Therefore, engines that lack proper mapping tend to run either too rich or to lean, lacking any happy medium and causing poor engine performance. All the mods in the world can't be utilized without consideration of this theory.

A well planned performance package is a
You must be registered for see images
package.

Doug