HPDE Spin Out 5/19/12

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to an HPDE at Putnam Park in Indiana this past weekend, had an absolute blast. This is my second one, so I'm still learning a lot about the car and about driving it at its limits. Spun off track twice, but got video footage of the first one, both from the car behind me, and from in-cockpit. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

Nothing damaged, no problems afterwards. Thankfully Putnam is a very forgiving track!

In-cockpit of the spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZFLTOB3Sg

The same spin as seen from the car behind me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie7g2wX4pEk

Some just semi-interesting laps with some other cars like a GTR, BMW M, and Porsche:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl81bxVjYfY

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like a very nice track. Crazy how it seems like everything is fine, and then all of a sudden it's not. Tough lesson to learn how even these monster cars have limits, and so do we as drivers................don't ask how I know. Keep it up and it only gets more addicting though. Have a great season, stay safe, ......and when driving home, watch out for cops. .....don't ask how I know.

lmcgrew79

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lift-off (snap) oversteer, these cars are prone to that with the heavier rear, 911s are worst, i just seen another video on here as it looked to be the same thing. Early apex a little hot, was the result in the lift i would say.

I noticed you are in lexington,ky you should start running mid ohio with us. There are about 6 of us vipers owners that run there alot!

Last edited:

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Couple things..

First, we actually have a section for track events, etc.. I'd be great if we could get more participation from other active road racers:
http://forums.viperclub.org/forums/162-Viper-Racing-Dyno-Results-Time-Slips

Secondly, when you moved the car back into position to re-enter the track, you put yourself in a very high-risk situation to get t-boned. You're right on the outside edge of the racing line. Someone could panick as a result of you there, lift, and have the same result, but boom right into you.

Oh, and dude.. turn off the radio on the track, lol. Listen to your car and the cars around you.

Other than that, cool vids, thanks for sharing. :)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats a hpde event-????? next time leave the tunes off boss....lol

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a great place to learn the limits....lots of run-off area. Hey if you never spin out you'll never know where the edge is right! Just do it in a decent spot so you don't bend the car or collect someone else. I tend to think that lifting may have caused the oversteer on the correction. Live and learn. Go git 'em!

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing that makes me hesitate about the road course part of VOI. Doesn't really look like much runoff area at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I've never been on a road course...much less been on one in a viper.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah, don't let it put you off. My spin was ***** driver error....I was on new Goodyear slicks (bad idea #1....I have since thrown them away, they **** but were the spec tire for the WC back in the day), took a pass in the Esses at Rad Atlanta (bad idea #2) and went way too deep into that corner before turn in (trying to leave room for the car I thought was on my left rear quarter....turned out to be one of those "imaginary cars"!).

I imagine that at VOI, and I know for SCCA, NARRA, NASA etc, first timers get an instructor who guides you in learning the line and keeps you at 8/10ths to prevent you from doing dumb stuff like the above :)

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing that makes me hesitate about the road course part of VOI. Doesn't really look like much runoff area at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I've never been on a road course...much less been on one in a viper.

You won't be running hot laps at VOI. Closer to parade laps. It's not a timed event and there are no prizes. Don't get crazy and you'll be fine.

drlee50

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also-- dont ride the "LINE" as soon as you get back on the track. make sure you are not leaking anything before you get back on the line.