Hunting for another GTS

KFactor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently sold my 2000 GTS, solid red, with about 20k MIles on it. I bought it two years ago. Was my dream car. Always has been, always will be (Gen2`s).
Now, it`s been about a month since I sold, and I cant stop thinking about what a HUGE mistake it was. I actually almost went into an anxiety attack watching it roll away.
I have looked at numerous other vehicles, unfortunately, nothing compares. Anyone of you who have driven one know; The Viper is in a league of its own.

I have now decided that only a GEN2 GTS will suffice. As I am starting to look again I think I have it narrowed down to two choices.

1. 2002 FE (20K Miles or less) - prefer stock or mild mods
2. 1996/7 B/W (20K Miles or less) - prefer stock or mild mods

I have been looking around all over, there are some out there that look good, I just thought I would put a feeler out through the VCA.

I would not like to spend more than 55K.

The reason behind those two choices is that, in MY opinion, those are the two most desirable years. (for me anyways)
I am leaning further towards an FE as I do slightly prefer Red, however still quite open minded.

I went and looked at an `08 coupe. Very nice, love the 8.4, however, it just does not have looks of the GEN2.

I live in Canada, but looking for an american made car (MPH dash etc....)

Any info is appreciated.

Thx,

K

kblake905

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have now decided that only a GEN2 GTS will suffice. As I am starting to look again I think I have it narrowed down to two choices.

1. 2002 FE (20K Miles or less) - prefer stock or mild mods
2. 1996/7 B/W (20K Miles or less) - prefer stock or mild mods

I would not like to spend more than 55K.

The reason behind those two choices is that, in MY opinion, those are the two most desirable years. (for me anyways)
I am leaning further towards an FE as I do slightly prefer Red, however still quite open minded.

K

I agree the Gen II GTS was always my dream to own, even after purchasing an 04 first!I enjoy driving the GTS over the SRT mainly because I am a short ass and there are more blind spots in the convertible. However my air conditioning has quit in the GTS (freon leak I suspect because it stopped working slowly???) So right now with 90 degree temps here the convertible is the more desireable.
I would think with the financial problems in the states right now a 55K budget would get a fine GTS. Good Luck

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would go with a 96 0r 97 B/W, they have the aggressive cam, forged internals and no ABS (IMO a plus), FE has the milder cam due to the non forged internals and ABS (negative IMO), a 96 B/W are and will continue to be the most desirable GTS in the years to come followed by the FE then very closely behind the 97 B/W IMO, you are very realistic with you price range and should have little trouble finding a clean 96 B/W GTS in that range and the other two options will be less expensive

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1 owner, original 96 B/W with 8K miles. Email if your interested.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would go with a 96 0r 97 B/W, they have the aggressive cam, forged internals and no ABS (IMO a plus), FE has the milder cam due to the non forged internals and ABS (negative IMO), a 96 B/W are and will continue to be the most desirable GTS in the years to come followed by the FE then very closely behind the 97 B/W IMO, you are very realistic with you price range and should have little trouble finding a clean 96 B/W GTS in that range and the other two options will be less expensive

There is no pricing difference between a 96 or 97 BW GTS with equal miles.
I know, I shopped for one for a long time.
In fact, the 97 were generally more, being newer not to mention forged rims versus cast on many '96's.
Very few would be willing to pay any significantly higher price because it's the first year.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
......However my air conditioning has quit in the GTS (freon leak I suspect because it stopped working slowly???) So right now with 90 degree temps here the convertible is the more desireable.

do a search, your a/c may be an easier and less costly fix than you think

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the first year is exactly why it brings more money, a very low miles 96 has been shown time and time again to bring more money the a very low miles 97, if its a 96 and 97 with 25-30K on the clock I would agree with you neither is considered a prime candidate for a collector and both are considered drivers and all bets are of in paying a premium for a first year 96

There is no pricing difference between a 96 or 97 BW GTS with equal miles.
I know, I shopped for one for a long time.
In fact, the 97 were generally more, being newer not to mention forged rims versus cast on many '96's.
Very few would be willing to pay any significantly higher price because it's the first year.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the first year is exactly why it brings more money, a very low miles 96 has been shown time and time again to bring more money the a very low miles 97, if its a 96 and 97 with 25-30K on the clock I would agree with you neither is considered a prime candidate for a collector and both are considered drivers and all bets are of in paying a premium for a first year 96

You're wrong. have you ever actively searched for one and compared prices?
I'm not talking about a car with 10 miles on it. A '96 or '97 with 5K on it will bring no difference in price.
I spent a year looking at them comparing prices before I bought mine.
Did you?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stay with your choice number 1. 02 FE best of the best IMO. May take some searching but they are out there and sometimes with very low miles.

OP
OP
K

KFactor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. I wish I just could just get both. ha!

I have a date with the judge here in two weeks, re: viper destroys ferrari and then runs into police officer = come to court........So that was the reason behind selling the first one; Tell the judge I've sold my car and I am thinking that should be ice breaker that'll let me keep my license, then I will go and get another one.

Frank, email should be sent.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well you are wrong and yes i did, a first year viper WILL bring more money if all things are equal :push:

I'm not talking about a car with 10 miles on it. A '96 or '97 with 5K on it will bring no difference in price.
Did you?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my first choice when I looked for a year and some months for my viper was a 96 b/w but ended up getting a red 97 because of an unbelievable deal, my opinion is what I observed and my willingness at the time and still now to spend more for a first year b/w, in the end i guess we will have to respectfully agree to disagree

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was looking, I found that all things equal, 97 B/W's were bringing the most money, even though the 96's are a first year car. Better wheels plus didn't the 96's have a frame recall?

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you put toms rears on you wont lock up or flat spot and you will have a near perfect balance, better than abs (this upgrade particular upgrade is not available for abs)......abs helps you turn a corner in a panic stop however some tests show longer stopping distance with abs, its just another nanny option that has been forces on us

Okay, I'll bite... explain.

You prefer to lock up the brakes in an emergency, flat spot tires and have longer stopping distances?

OP
OP
K

KFactor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the PM's guys. It's appreciated, however, I am dead set on a B/W or an FE.

ABS - Not a huge concern for me either way. I learned the hard way on the old one '00 GTS. Was playing with an M3 and hit em too hard, locked up at around 205 km/h, managed to stay straight, but I think it was about 45 mins before I could stop my legs from shaking. Just need to respect the beast.

Alot of the B/W's I have found, it seems the hood gap is a little off on all of them....was this something that was prudent on the very early models?

Thx,

K

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are actually fewer '97 B/W cars out there, so that makes up for some of the price difference between a first year car and a second year. '97 also had some refinements that were desireable. Many '97 B/W owners are like me - wanted a '96, they were tough to order, and ended up with a '97 after waiting a year for the car. Personally, I like the '97 better than the '96 - the forged wheels alone and the (very) slightly better fit-and-finish makes it my favorite. I'm biased, though...

I'm also religiously opposed to buying the first model year of anything new - although that doesn't matter now that these things are 15 years old and must have had all the bugs fixed by now.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, $55 Canadian, that's what, like a half a million US or something? :rolaugh:

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to throw my $.02 in here... I too looked long and hard for a B&W GTS and ended up with the 97 model because this particular car had excellent history and maintenance. I do agree that the prices were no different 96 to 97 and sometimes higher on the 97's. The better wheels was the reason I heard the most.

Get the B&W... you won't regret it! This is my 3rd Viper , and it is my favorite and gets the most comments by far!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B/W is the iconic GTS for all time.
Worth the premium over all colors.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you?

What he said...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4