Hydraulic ebrake option for big brage upgrade?

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed or considered using a hydraulic emergency brake instead of the separate cable operated caliper?

I like the look of a single caliper in the rear as opposed to two.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in the US of A, at least in my jurisdiction, the e-brake must operate from an independent system than the primary system. In other words, complete loss of hydraulics at any point in the system will still allow the emergency system to operate the pads. If you look at how e-brake systems work you'll see that is the case. Much easier to do that mechanically than with a second hydraulic system. You may be able to get away with not having that level of function in Canada.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points Dave. I was also thinking about the legality of not having a separate e-brake system, but in our motor vehicle act, it does not state that the park brake system must be a separate system, just that it holds the vehicle from moving.

Legality aside, I don't think it would be too much of a safety concern in our setup. For the complete braking system to fail, both the front and rear lines would have to fail at the same time. If the master cylinder failed completely, there is still fluid in the lines to the rear calipers and as long as there is fluid between the e-brake and rear calipers, your e-brake will still work.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had that type of set up in my modded out GTS, and to be quite frank, I didn't like it, I had to press the brake down and then I pusher a line lock button down to lock up the rear brakes, theoretically it worked but everyday application was a P in the A, I always left the car in gear anyways so it was not much of an issue when or where I parked but I never felt it was overly safe.

OP
OP
A

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to upgrade to the SRT 14" rear brake setup, (Daves Big Brake Upgrade), you need to purchase and install a second caliper that acts as a mechanical park brake only. (since the SRT calipers are from the front of the SRT10's and do not incorporate an ebrake)

Besides the 700 bucks for the dedicated ebrake setup, it's not as clean looking as just the SRT10 caliper. It's a personal preference I guess, I just think it looks cleaner without the separate ebrake.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In order to upgrade to the SRT 14" rear brake setup, (Daves Big Brake Upgrade), you need to purchase and install a second caliper that acts as a mechanical park brake only. (since the SRT calipers are from the front of the SRT10's and do not incorporate an ebrake)

Besides the 700 bucks for the dedicated ebrake setup, it's not as clean looking as just the SRT10 caliper. It's a personal preference I guess, I just think it looks cleaner without the separate ebrake.

Even the SRT-10's have a separate rear E-Brake. The DBB kit does not use 4 front calipers, it uses all 4 corners correctly. It does not however use the SRT-10 e-brake, it uses an aftermarket type instead, which are similar.

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even the SRT-10's have a separate rear E-Brake. The DBB kit does not use 4 front calipers, it uses all 4 corners correctly. It does not however use the SRT-10 e-brake, it uses an aftermarket type instead, which are similar.

Yep and instead of using the rear gen 3 rotors you have to use front gen 3 rotors for rears on your gen 2 upgrade...

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a big brake kit on a Gen 2 coupe of a friend of mine. I dont recall the brand but it was purchased through Jon B.

The kit used the original Gen 2 rear caliper as the emergency brake caliper. The kit had you install a specuial fitting where the original brake line went, and the rotor was relocated more rearward. It used the original emergency brake cable and was pretty ingenious how it all came together. Call Jon B. for more details.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a big brake kit on a Gen 2 coupe of a friend of mine. I dont recall the brand but it was purchased through Jon B.

The kit used the original Gen 2 rear caliper as the emergency brake caliper. The kit had you install a specuial fitting where the original brake line went, and the rotor was relocated more rearward. It used the original emergency brake cable and was pretty ingenious how it all came together. Call Jon B. for more details.

The BBD e-brake caliper also uses the stock cable etc. Ingenious? Yeah, BBDave was that guy.

Although the OP is pursuing NO e-brake caliper the option you refer to may be more stealthy and "factory safe." Probably StopTech kit.

Here's the back of the BBD setup.

You must be registered for see images

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another possible option comes from the street rod guys. It is a small diameter rotor that fits up between the end of the drive shaft and the diff. There is a bracket that holds a small mechanically operated caliper that serves as the emgency brake.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drift cars have massive extra calipers on the rear that are hand/hydraulic operated.

I would not go with a hydraulic setup as they tend to leak down over time, vs a ratcheting cable brake like is what is on most cars for a parking/emergency brake.

If someone doesn't like the BBD sneaky pete like logo, there is this stuff called paint, that can be filled into the engraved logo there

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hydraulic e-brakes are fun for things like J-Turns and drifts, but otherwise, they're not too safe for every day use. Think of it this way - would you want to park your car on a steep hill overnight with a hydraulic e-brake? It doesn't take much for fluid to leak while under constant pressure, and even a slight leak will decrease the holding power of the e-brake quite a bit. Even if you leave your car in gear, you run the risk of finding your car in a new location when you go out to get it in the morning...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone doesn't like the BBD sneaky pete like logo, there is this stuff called paint, that can be filled into the engraved logo there

The BBD logo does not have to be put on the e-brake caliper. Mark at IPSCO (who actually designed and makes the parking brake kit) will put anything you want on there. :D He makes and sells e-brake kits for a multitude of applications.

A clean canvas...

You must be registered for see images

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stoptech rear e-brake kit is useless. Will only hold on a level surface and when no one leans on the car. Will pass inspection however. GTS Bruce

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stoptech rear e-brake kit is useless. Will only hold on a level surface and when no one leans on the car. Will pass inspection however. GTS Bruce

Same as the DBB kit. Those are really "spot" calipers, which are designed to hold a stopped car on reasonably level ground, from rolling away. They are not designed to stop a vehicle in an emergency. But like you said, they pass the window sticker test.