I broke my Roe, dammit...

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was on the roadcourse last week, got in a little scuffle with the mud and noticed a clunking from my blower after I got back in the pits. Went to a friend's house, threw on a stethoscope and yep; it's in the blower. Took the belt off and rotated the pulley by hand and there something unnatural going on in there. I'm taking it off to send to PSE for a rebuild.

A few things:
1.) How long does it take to pull one? I'm handy but haven't done a Roe before.
2.) Has anyone had a refresh done? Turnaround time and price?
3.) How do I get my blower casing black? Is it anodized or is it powdercoated? How hard is it to get the blower apart enough to do that? Can I just buy a new casing?

I'm stealing Simms' idea and doing my valve covers like his; powdercoated black and sanding down the ridges. It's too damn hard to keep them clean!

JST2CRZY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt by PSE in April. Repalced all bearings, seals, and two gears. Refinished rotors due to slight imperfections. $1,500. Turn around time was approx two weeks. They will strongly advise you not to keep your 10 lb pulley. In fact, they will not install it and void your warranty if you do. The owner thinks that the Roe is too small for the Viper and Sean should have made a larger unit, blah, blah. Just one mans opinion.

Mine only has about 1k on it since the rebuild. No complaints so far. I am running the 8lb. My engine builder removed it and said it was a *****. It is siliconed to the intake. He had to use a engine hoist to break it free. Bill

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had the car since August 1, but I have no idea how long the previous owner was cramming 10 lbs of boost into the motor prior to that. The car has 26,500 miles and I bought it with 23k on the clock, so there is no telling.

I could just pull the Roe off and go NA but NAAAAAH...I'd go hairdryers before I did that :D

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Roe S/C's have two tapped holes in the front corners of the aluminum plate that sits on the intake. Run bolts in those holes to break the seal. If yours is an early unit, a couple of screw drivers tapped between the plate and intake on the front will get it. Those two tapped holes are not the ones that the bolts are currently in.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without extra replacement parts cost the rebuild was a $750 value. Did you send Sean an email and see what her recommends?

Sorry to hear that Jason. Mine has 50,000miles on it. 40,000 miles with the 10# pulley.

Ted

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had heard that the 10# pulley spins the blower faster than it should, so I talked to Sean before I stepped up from 8 to 10#'s. Many have and are continuing to run 10# with tens of thousands of miles with zero issues. I think there are some running 12# pulleys also. Jason, I would have it rebuilt, and then slap that 10# back on and enjoy it!! Pulling the blower is not hard at all, but the sealant is a pain in the ****. A six pack of your favorite beverage and you should be ready to ship to PSE.

martyb

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was it something you did or was just time for the blower to be rebuilt? You said after you messed about in the mud, did that cause the issue?

I think it was just time, but I first noticed it after a 70mph spin off of the track. Maybe they're related, maybe not; I just know it be broke!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you been checking the oil regularly? They have a tendency to blow oil and dry out. Do a search and you'll find many discussions.

Install and reinstall is a simple job. The worst part is getting that bolt underneath the air intake plenum and aligning the injectors. Also make sure the plenum is on with the right orientation. PSE put it on upside down and I didn't notice until it was already finished and had to tear it all apart again. :mad:

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you been checking the oil regularly? They have a tendency to blow oil and dry out. Do a search and you'll find many discussions.

Install and reinstall is a simple job. The worst part is getting that bolt underneath the air intake plenum and aligning the injectors. Also make sure the plenum is on with the right orientation. PSE put it on upside down and I didn't notice until it was already finished and had to tear it all apart again. :mad:

I checked it just a few weeks ago for the first time and it was full. I did notice that there is some oil coming out from around a bolt on the top of the snout that wasn't there before. I'm gonna pull it apart today and see what the eye can see.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its still going strong here in the UK with a 8lb pulley:drive:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its still going strong here in the UK with a 8lb pulley:drive:

I'm sure it is... I think it's probably in much better shape today then when I had it. :D

I checked it just a few weeks ago for the first time and it was full. I did notice that there is some oil coming out from around a bolt on the top of the snout that wasn't there before. I'm gonna pull it apart today and see what the eye can see.
It's actually a good sign when a little oil seeps out of the snout vent. That means there's still oil in there. But you still need to check it and top it off periodically. The manual that comes with the SC never mentions any of that. It only says that changing the oil is not necessary for 50k miles. It never mentions to check the level because it can consume oil. That's how PSE gets a lot of business from Viper owners.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bummer. :(

It's not hard to pull the unit off, at least it was not on my Gen1 when I went back to N/A. If you let me know when you want to make the attempt, I can head over and offer some help.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason, that is a bummer. Like I said, please give me a ring and I will come over and give you a hand. Have a good, "rest of your vacation."