I Cured My Idle Hang!

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had worsening idle hanging problems. It was to a point where it hung about 75 percent of the time. I could actually let off the gas and still cruise down the freeway at 80 mph .

I tried cleaning out the idle air contrl assembly and it didn't help.

The solution for me was the one posted by Sean Roe a while back with taking a 1/2" wooden dowl and drilling a hole in it (11/32" I think). Then you place it in the hose going from the airbox to the IAC acting as a restrictor. I did this and have not had one idle hang in over 1,000 miles of driving over the last 3 weeks.

Cost me only 2 bucks and a 20 minutes of time.

To those having this problem, try it-you have notheing to lose. Do a search for his thread.

THANKS SEAN!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only thing about that is, why was it getting worse?

Seems like the fix just cures the symptom and not the root cause. Its a weird problem - my car did it too and it was getting worse.

OP
OP
V

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Don't know why it was getting worse. I first noticed it about a year ago. It stuck a few times when it was NA. Didn't happen much, but would crop up every so often with increasing frequency, I replaced the IAC and it didn't really help. The blower went on and didn't really change the problem one way or the other. As time went on it started hanging more and more. Mostly after full throttle applications for about 10 seconds. Then about 2 months ago it got to a point of hanging just driving around. I drive pretty slow and am not in the boost much, but it hung at almost every interesection.

Don't know why and it seems on the other thread everyone has different ideas as to what causes it. I'd like to know what it is too, but figured the car ran well outside of this problem ad was pretty fast at WOT, so car seems to be okay outside of the idle problem.

I figured for 2 bucks, why not. Since it has over a 1000 mile with no other adverse effects, I am happy with the result.

Oh, and my gas milage went up since I no longer idle at 2000 rpm :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960