I drove in the rain today and...

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
man you guys that are afraid of taking your cars out in a lil bit of rain crack me up... :rolaugh:
You must be registered for see images

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is Black. PITA to keep clean. I avoid driving it in the rain.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.:smirk:

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Living in florida means you either put your car in hibernation for the rainy season or you occassionally get caught in the rain.
before I bought the viper I read a post that said drive in the next higher gear than you normally would, great advice.

man that bison picture has me cracking up. he knows a cool car when he sees it.
I sure won't complain about the racoons and opossums anymore.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i skipped an autocross today because of the forcasted thunderstorms, but looknig at the radar determined that i had a couple hours untill it would start raining. So to get my kicks i picked up a freind and did some backroad riding. Lost track of time and ended up getting caught in the rain :) go figure. now i wish i had the balls to go to the autoX, im sure it would have been fun.

just spray her all over with QD once you get in the garage and wipe down with a big fluffy microfiber and your set.

You guys need to get out more! Over the last 80,000 miles, our car has seen LOTS of rain, mixed in with some sleet and snow. We've been caught in some nasty snow storms early in the year....white out sort of thing. I've autocrossed in rain several times and once in a driving rain at 46 degrees. Not much fun manning the cones in those conditions, but it definitely made a memory! We did a road track event in the rain for the first two sessions one year as well. One thing I've discovered over the years.....amazingly...... like all other cars, Vipers don't melt in the rain.

BTW........the new PS2s are an excellent wet weather tire. No comparison to the older MPS tires

Steve

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what happens when 3 Vipers get together on open road...w/out rain!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah Tony, I was surprised how well my Viper was sticking even in the rain. When we pulled out of the town off Rt 8, you got on it pretty good, and you had good tration...so you now I followed suit!:D I was shocked how well I was able to accelerate in wet conditions, but I aint get get too cocky with that!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, to our good buddies Mike and Julie which led us to the best tasting BBQ a country boy like me as ever tasted!

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony you have just entered the Viper fun zone. The ability to drive your car in any weather and face all obstacles in your way. Even the ones who don't appreciate your exhaust. ( I got to shoot this one from the chase car). Rain is nothing.:D

standoff.jpg

Buffalo in Kansas City? Hope you were able to avoid his leavings... Love that yellow!

V

Venomiss

Buffalo in Kansas City? Hope you were able to avoid his leavings... Love that yellow!

That was taken on our trip home from Jasper-Canada Via Glacier National Park and this picture in Yellowstone last summer. Notice the plates-a buffalo.
Now that Tony's Viper has seen rain he can join some of those long trips in his Viper.:)

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was taken on our trip home from Jasper-Canada Via Glacier National Park and this picture in Yellowstone last summer. Notice the plates-a buffalo.
Now that Tony's Viper has seen rain he can join some of those long trips in his Viper.:)

LOL...that would be fun. Someday I am going to embark on trek across the country in the Viper. Instead of buffalo maybe I'll come across a polar bear or platypus.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Polar Bears ... Playpus?" Not likely south of Alaska or the Yukon. Not sure you'd enjoy your Viper along the Alaska Highway (deep potholes).

But ... here in BC we have lots of wild animals other than P Bears and Platypus.

Hit a Deer last Wed. in the wife's Escape, wrecked the front end and transmission barely made it the last 90mi. home. Saw about 30 Deer and 4 Black/Brown Bears along the highway since then. Martins, Bald Eagles, Barstormer Owls, Lynx are not uncommon along highway 20 although Domestic animals are more prevalent.

You must be registered for see images

Pic is towing my old modified Daytona with the Stealth R/T TT to car show in Kelowna (500mi. each way). Figured I'd show 2 cars instead of one at a time, lol. Both cars cover in cow poo and after nighttime rain I ended up washing both cars 3 times over the weekend.

Ted

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL...I was contemplating taking the top off but then I reminded myself what a PITA it is to get into the trunk...in the rain. Next year...I'm going ******* rain or shine. It was a pleasure meeting you today Craig.

Wow, no SHIRT in the rain and 60 degree weather, Tony?????? :omg: ~juli

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, to our good buddies Mike and Julie which led us to the best tasting BBQ a country boy like me as ever tasted!

Why, thank you Keith!! I didn't know this pic existed...MUCH better than my RED-faced one at the dinner with Chuck...thank you!!! And, with Chuck and KEITH behind us too, and I believe, the winning Viper?? It was our GREAT pleasure to dine with you, Crystal, Tony, Jimmy and (?) friend! (SO bad at names, so sorry!!) We were DE-lighted you'all showed up...albeit a TAD LATE....:rolaugh:...but you made it! Sorry about the rain-drenched drive home...as Tony said, YESSSS...the VIPERS CAN drive in the rain! A simple clean-up, wet dryer sheet for bugs, wipe off with detail spray~~! ~juli

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blasphemy! Driving in the rain should be cause for forfeiture of the Viper!

And really? Wet dryer sheet does a good job on bug goo? They are horrible here in the spring and I hate trying to "scrub" them off with a microfiber.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blasphemy! Driving in the rain should be cause for forfeiture of the Viper!
And really? Wet dryer sheet does a good job on bug goo? They are horrible here in the spring and I hate trying to "scrub" them off with a microfiber.

OH MOST definitely!!!! Get the dryer sheet THOROUGHLY wet...scrub down those lil buggers, and then detail spray and wipe clean (microfiber is used HERE!)...EASY AS PIE~! ~juli
(I use unscented, and don't know if scented is any different)

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shortly after I joined the VCA I read an analogy on here about driving a Viper in the rain and a nice piece of artwork. I'd repeat it but I don't know if it would offend anyone.

"You're worried about offending someone, RoadiJeff? LOL"

Yeah, well, sometimes. ;)

Anyway, those dryer sheets are like magic for removing bug guts off your car. Someone else says he uses hydrogen peroxide and claims it doesn't damage the clearcoat. I've never tried it myself.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, just gotta make sure the dryer sheet is SOAKING WET when using it...then it leaves a residue that needs to be cleaned with detail spray and microfiber cloth~~! *VOILA-MAGIC* ~juli
(Never tried the hydrogen peroxide, and probably would not...we'll stick to what works!)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyway, those dryer sheets are like magic for removing bug guts off your car. Someone else says he uses hydrogen peroxide and claims it doesn't damage the clearcoat. I've never tried it myself.

I've used both the sheets and hydrogen peroxide the last many years. No problems at all. The sheets do make a little mess. The peroxide is easier to use, although the sheets cover a bigger area and are quicker to do a large area. If there are just a few bugs, I'll either use the peroxide or just some detailer.

BTW....there's nothing like driving in a good rain to get the bugs off

Steve

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW....there's nothing like driving in a good rain to get the bugs off
Steve

NO truer words were ever spoken~~tho I will say, I prefer to drive in weather that DOES collect bugs...:rolaugh:!!! LOL...then just clean 'em up! ~juli
(WHEN will that happen to us here in Upstate New York???? :(...80's this weekend :drive:)

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO truer words were ever spoken~~tho I will say, I prefer to drive in weather that DOES collect bugs...:rolaugh:!!! LOL...then just clean 'em up! ~juli
(WHEN will that happen to us here in Upstate New York???? :(...80's this weekend :drive:)

There was reported snow falling on both ends of the UP yesterday morning. I've yet to cut the grass.......but we got over 1800 Viper miles under the belt so far.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Tony,
I just drove mine out to Mid Ohio on Sunday for a Viper Days in the pouring rain on sport cups:omg:
I don't recommend this at all! Driving in the rain is OK but not on spot cups

Dave

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was reported snow falling on both ends of the UP yesterday morning. I've yet to cut the grass.......but we got over 1800 Viper miles under the belt so far.

Not too surprising, for where you're located! We had frost still...I DID mow the lawns on Monday tho. Let's hope for a great-weather weekend for all~~! :) ~juli