I drove in the rain today and...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...it was a blast. It was normal...the paint is still on the Viper, it didn't melt away. The Viper didn't short out from the rain, the wipers worked flawlessly, traction was good and no drive ability issues. I don't see what the big deal is about driving in the rain.

But best of all...for those of you who were worried about the air filters getting soaked and rain water working its way into the intake because I removed my air intake rain baffle...the filters are dry as a bone, the air box was dry as a bone, no water made its way into the intake. I drove for 3hrs in heavy rain, light rain and at various speeds on the highway as well as side roads expecting my filters to be soaked...but they are dry. What did I do wrong? :D

I drove in the rain with the Viper and nothing happened. That's my story. Don't be afraid of the rain.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i skipped an autocross today because of the forcasted thunderstorms, but looknig at the radar determined that i had a couple hours untill it would start raining. So to get my kicks i picked up a freind and did some backroad riding. Lost track of time and ended up getting caught in the rain :) go figure. now i wish i had the balls to go to the autoX, im sure it would have been fun.

just spray her all over with QD once you get in the garage and wipe down with a big fluffy microfiber and your set.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The next thing, I believe, is "go and sin no more", but you will, won't you?:nono:

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am believer...I have turned to the dark side. :D I can't wait for the next down pour. NOT. It was no big deal...it took me 20 min to wipe down the viper with a little Speed Shine. Most of the work involved removing the bug jerky from the front end. Unfortunately, I got caught in the rain during my ride back home from Tator's BBQ today otherwise the car never sees rain.

I tried something different today though. I cruised in 6th gear to see what kind of MPG I'd get. Although the MPG was higher...it felt like pushing a wet noodle. I cannot justify cruising at 1500RPM in 6th. However, I did find a sweet spot. Cruising at 100MPH in 6th around 2K RPM. More enjoyable but the state trooper didn't agree with it today. :D

propsail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A real man would have driven w/ the top off in the rain.....:D

but of course, who am I to talk, I'm hardly a real man since I drove to the BBQ in my friends truck. :drive:

It was good to meet ya, Tony.

~Craig

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

but of course, who am I to talk, I'm hardly a real man since I drove to the BBQ in my friends truck. :drive:

It was good to meet ya, Tony.

~Craig

LOL...I was contemplating taking the top off but then I reminded myself what a PITA it is to get into the trunk...in the rain. Next year...I'm going ******* rain or shine. It was a pleasure meeting you today Craig.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been caught in the rain a few times in the snake and it was no biggie, mustang ANOTHER story, the VERY wide tires on the snake save the day in the rain LOL

rocman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to drive the 06 in the rain on occasion. Hell, I drove my FGT in the rain at least half a dozen times. :D

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is great fun! Done it several times, nothing like cruising down the highway in a downpour, being throughly soaked yet continuing to cruise along, while the other people driving along are gawking at you!

FATHERFORD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my viper in the rain 2 days after I got it. Had no choice. I have the k&n intake system and it had a few drops of water in it. No big deal at all.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you mean to tell me you drove a CAR in the rain and NOTHING happened ?

I call TOTAL BS

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I contacted your insurance company and they were making a notation on your policy regarding "diminished value":D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "fun".
Driving 30-35 MPH in the rain....not so much.

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I leave my house in a bright and sunny sky :). About 40 minutes later and 5 minutes from the place, the sky went dark. :omg: Thought about turning around, but I've driven the car in the rain before, even on a track. So I thought no big deal. :dunno: Then the sky let loose. :crazy2: It was flash flooding. Still I had just put new ps2's on so I thought I'd be good. Well I was wrong. I don't know if it was the amount of rain or the fact that I went up to 295's on the front, or both but IT SUCKED. :censored: My car was darting left and right so much I thought I had a flat. Cars were pulling off the road all over. It turned into a real white knuckler. I made it without incident but it wasn't fun. :mad:

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, you mean to tell me you drove a CAR in the rain and NOTHING happened ?

I call TOTAL BS

You know Plum...no BS. But I do now understand why we had a poor turnout yesterday. To quote a very wise member yesterday "bunch of queens saw a few clouds this morning and got their ******* in a *** and stayed home". I think that pretty much sums it up.

I see a sprinkle coming, i'm heading out. :)

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only issue I have with rain is cleaning the car afterward. It get's dirty as all get out when it rains and I work to hard at keeping it clean. I'll wait for the sunny days to drive mine.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only issue I have with rain is cleaning the car afterward. It get's dirty as all get out when it rains and I work to hard at keeping it clean. I'll wait for the sunny days to drive mine.

caution: extreme thread drift ahead

Fast Too, I've had several people harass me lately about my use of the phrase, "as all get out". Because of that phrase, I've been called a redneck and hillbilly. While I must admit there is a bit of truth to both, I don't know where "as all get out" comes from and up until now I've never seen it in writing.

Maybe it's a Virginia thing. :dunno:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To think my Beast has never seen rain after 3-years is a pretty amazing thing

You and me both. Mine is 9 years old and the only time it ever sees rain is if I open the garage door and let it peek out when it's raining. The previous owner said it never saw a drop of rain in all the years he owned it and I'm doing my best to keep it that way.

I'd gladly pedal my bike in the rain before I'd EVER subject my Viper to that kind of treatment. In fact, I have before.

Anyone interested in an unused set of wipers? They're a few years old but only a few swipes during the state inspection. :D

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove mine in the rain for about 5 hours the first day I had it. No choice. Had to get from Tampa to Phoenix in 3 days.

All I can say is the hydro-planing is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Fun? I wouldn't go that far, but it was definitely a "driving experience"."

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
caution: extreme thread drift ahead

Fast Too, I've had several people harass me lately about my use of the phrase, "as all get out". Because of that phrase, I've been called a redneck and hillbilly. While I must admit there is a bit of truth to both, I don't know where "as all get out" comes from and up until now I've never seen it in writing.

Maybe it's a Virginia thing. :dunno:

Must be a VA thing Dan. I must admit I'm probably some what of a hillbilly too as I do live in the Blueridge mountains. There is even some stills around here, not that I would know exactly where. Just heard about them. :D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driving the Viper in the rain is no big deal. I just HATE the clean up afterwards. If I get stuck in the rain no big deal. Heck I drove the car everyday for a year. The car handles fine in the rain as long as you are not racing everything in site.

V

Venomiss

Tony you have just entered the Viper fun zone. The ability to drive your car in any weather and face all obstacles in your way. Even the ones who don't appreciate your exhaust. ( I got to shoot this one from the chase car). Rain is nothing.:D

standoff.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc