I drove my 94 nsx: Comparison with viper

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sold my trusty 94 nsx to my brother and got the viper in November of last year. I was down in S. CA and drove the nsx again to see the difference now that I have driven almost 2k miles on the viper. Here goes:

1. The initial impression: After you drive the snake, there is NO GOING BACK! My God, the nsx, although fast, has nil torque. I redlined it a couple times and it was an dissappointing ** hum. Don't get me wrong, the nsx is fast...faster than most American Drivers would need. However, you don't feel fast. A mustang 5.0 with its V8 torque feels faster.

2. Sound: Again, no comparison. However, this is where some would prefer the nsx over the viper. The nsx is like your honda accord if you don't rev up the engine. Once that thing goes above 5.5k rmp, it snarles no less fierce, albeit not as loud as the viper. The viper on the other hand is in your face, get out of the way, I mean business LOUD from idle. On the freeway, the nsx on 5th gear is like a lexus. The viper is well.....like a viper. I can listen to my music, talk on the phone in the nsx. On the viper, I can hear the music blasting, but it's mixed in with the noise....this is not a fair comparison because the nsx is not a convertible whereas the viper is. However, I have driven my friend's 01 GTS, and it is still much louder than the nsx.

3. Ergonomics: This is where I have to say the nsx wins BIG TIME. The seat feels right. The steering is just right. The knobs are within reach. Unless you are taller than 6'2", you will find a good seating position. I still think the viper needs power seats so that you can find that "right" position between the manual clicks.

4. Handling: The nsx is an incredibly good handling car. One thing that I do feel more comfortable with is the handling of the nxs....NOT because it can outhandle the viper, but because you know where the limit is with lots of squeaks from the tires and such. On the viper, it seems that the handling is definitely better, but will give out without much warning, or maybe I am not used to the viper yet.

Summary: I love my viper and now that I have driven my nsx again, my only question is, "why did I wait so long?:))" The drive reinforces my decision to get the viper. I think that if I had put a supercharger in the nsx (which I almost did), it would be more of a "balanced" comparison. Most supercharged nsx dyno between 360-380hp to the rear. All in all, I think that vipers are a different breed of sports car. I would not recommend the viper to your typical "I want to buy a sports car" crowd. The viper with so much power and no traction control, esp,and such would be very dangerous. I have had friends with porches and nsx ask me, "so have you floored your viper yet?" Most of these other sports car would not be dangerous when you floor it.....and so that's why we have so many viper crashes!

PS: One other thing is that although the nsx is very nice looking (to me, at least), it never garnered more than a couple of looks every few drive or so. The viper on the other hand, will get waves and looks and thumbs up EVERYTIME I drive. Here in N. CA, there is no shortage of expensive and nice cars, but I have never gotten so much attention in any other cars. Now, that could be a positive or negative, depending on your mood and your personality.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good analysis. I've always liked the styling of the NSX, but unfortunately now both the Honda S2000 and V6 Accord are approaching it's power level. And in my opinion, power upgrades are long overdue to keep the car competitive in the $80K+ performance car market. :p

The Viper's handling is actually great, but you do need some seat time (and maybe a training school course) to get the most out of the car. :cool:

Flooring it in a straight line poses no real threat (except scaring passengers), but you definitely don't want to floor the gas in a tight corner without a real understanding of the Viper's handling traits. :eek:

The NSX has good looks, reliability, and drivability. Plus it's relatively rare compared to SL500s, Corvettes and 911s. But it's definitely not a Viper, for those of us who love the unique traits of our cars. :2tu:

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote from Vincent Esq: "Here in N. CA, there is no shortage of expensive and nice cars, but I have never gotten so much attention in any other cars. Now, that could be a positive or negative, depending on your mood and your personality."
:p

Nah, everybody in Northern California has a Viper, and at least one law license in his pocket. Not a big deal.

Larry Wallerstein :eek:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same things can be said of my 308GTSi Ferrari. Except the fast part. Hell, even a Nissan Altima would give it a good race these days, but the sounds....wow. The handling 'feel'...wow. You could balance that car right on the edge and feel perfectly safe. Yes, a much lower edge than the Viper. The seats and driving position were odd, but seemed to fit me ok. Others complained.

I loved my Vipers, and still love the SRT but as I grow older I think about getting a comfy fast car to add to the garage. An F430 with the paddle shifters would be nice. Maybe a Caddy XLR-V would do. A nice clean NSX, hmmm.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great writeup!! One of my good friends is trying to decide whether to buy a NSX or Viper. I will be sure and forward him this link.

He has driven both my 95 and the 2001 so he should have a good feel for the power. I will try and bring him to the dark side!! But either way, I don't think there is a wrong decision, two different cars with unique qualities.

Thanks for the writeup.
Ed

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned both and the NSX is almost the complete opposite of the Viper is almost every single category. I love/ loved both cars. The analogy that best compares the two is a surgical scalpel compared to a chainsaw. They both cut really well but the approach is entirely different.

OP
OP
V

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard friends who own both nsx and motorcycles say they are very similar....high reving...so you can go all the way to 8k and then go again and again, whereas on the viper, you are all out of steam at 5k. However, and maybe because I never had a motorcycle and never liked them, I prefer the torque pounding on your chest when you accelerate of the American V-8s. :) Ed, since your friend has driven vipers, he needs to drive an nsx first before making the decision. If he is like me, he will definitely be disappointed with the lack of torque on the nsx. The car has 224 pounds of torque. The viper has almost 2.5 times that!!!!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the earlier Vipers didn't have much breath left after 5K, The SRT's seem to be different. After 4K the engine comes alive and it still has great low end grunt. At the dragstrip, I usually launch OK, but then too much throttle after 4K the tires will light up right to the redline.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960