I FIGURED OUT WHY MY VIPER WOULD NOT START. READ THIS, YOURS MAY BE NEXT!

onebadviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, after four days for talking, testing, probing and racking my small brain, I have figured it out. First and four most, I would like to thank everyone who got involved in my problem. I would like to especially thank Jon Brobst for all of his help, and for all but insisting that I must recheck that positive battery plug, as it powers the fuel pump. Jon was kind enough to even phone me to discuss my problem. Thanks again Jon! OK, now that the thanks are in order, here is what happened.

My Viper is a 94' RT/10 and my factory battery just went out. Six years from the factory Mopar battery isn't bad! I am convinced the battery lasted so long because when not in use I always kept it charged by the use of a battery tender, but not my the trade mark "battery tender". The positive battery cable has a wire that runs off of it, splits into two fusable links to a female plug. I guess when I unpluged the plug, the wire broke inside the wire shield. This is something I could not see, so I did not catch it when the old battery came out and the new one went back in. The small wire that comes right out of the positive terminal along with the large battery cable had corroded from acid that had leaked out of the battery and run down the wire into it's jacket. I guess removing the battery went ahead and caused the wire to snap. This was a nightmare to figure out because you could not see anything wrong with it. Not until Jon asked me to check the plug one more time did I notice just a little swelling in the wire up very close to the positive battery terminal. Understand that my battery and battery tray were not in bad condition at all. When I pulled on the wire with just a touch, it snapped. Instead of wire in the jacket all there was was dust from corrosion. The large battery cable will now have to be cut and a new terminal with an extra wire coming out of it will have to be installed. To bad the wire snapped right at the terminal, so it left me nothing to attach the new wire to. Anyway, I'm on the road to recovery and hopefully will be driving her tomorrow. Sorry this was so long, but maybe it will help someone else in the future.

Warren

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great post...thanks to you and the rest of the "advisors" for tracking this SNEAKY problem !!! I'll be putting this one in my notebook.

OP
OP
O

onebadviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the scoop on the relay Jon's speaking about.

When my Viper would not start, I assumed it was the fuel pump or the pump relay. No one had the relay Dodge called for, #4643528, which costs $34.00. After pulling the relay out of my car, I find out it has a differant part number, #4557538, which costs $9.20. Guess what Dodge says that's part number is for? A 1994-1997 Dodge Caravan. Strange? You bet! So when I figured out that it was not my fuel pump of pump relay causing my problem, what did I do? I put the origional relay that Dodge says fits a Caravan back in, and she's purrrring like a kitten! I maen TIGER! Better check yours and get back and let me and everyone else on this board know.......