I friendly reminder...CHECK YOUR POWER STEERING CAP OFTEN

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gut said to check it after driving on Saturday and there it was...it was loose.

And I had just checked it by hand when I got the car about a month ago/100 miles ago.

I cranked it down with channel locks but I think I am going to get the mod ASAP.

:2tu:

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The HiPo Engineering Power Steering Vent Tube clamps onto the ****** of the OEM cap stopping it from turning. It also vents excess fluid up and under the reservior for ******** driving. Made specifically to stop the above post and cheap insurance for only $20.

I've had two reports of caps coming off in the last week. One was by Superbar and the other at a Viperdays event.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Toby, get the mod. Super easy to install, blends right in, and more importantly, worth the piece of mind.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just checked mine and it was completely unthreaded and flopping around. Needless to say I just placed an order for a new Hipo Engineering vent tube.

Thanks Craig!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the HIPO power steering cap..Will this cap come loose also ?

Thanks for the heads up Toby !

Everyone should order this great little piece of insurance - there is NO REASON whatsoever not to buy it.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should be a factory recall item . . .

Hiserman, I ran that by Dodge, no luck. Only two people I know of realized the problem was the cap and Dodge bought them new cars. Not enough money paid out to warrant a recall. All other fires were just paid by the insurance company and chalked up as mechanical issues. Who would know to go to Dodge if you didn't know about this? But, I do know of one insurance company pursuing getting credited for the claim.

Can you imagine how many people just had the cap come off, melt on the headers, cause a lot of smoke, get fluid all over the place? Most buy another $35 cap and think they didn't have it tightened on. It will happen again if you don't fix the cause.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered the HIPO power steering cap..Will this cap come loose also ?

Thanks for the heads up Toby !

Everyone should order this great little piece of insurance - there is NO REASON whatsoever not to buy it.

I agree, I bought it and installed it even though:
(1) In over 50k miles, mine has never been loose, in fact it has only been a ***** to remove (and I installed it by hand, not with channel locks, etc.); and
(2) I *really* wonder how well it works, since I've installed it, because it seems like the added-on piece would just rotate along with cap, at least 1/3 turn or so, based on my own visual look at it.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just checked mine and, to be honest, I can't see how it could become loose. Feels like a normal plastic cap, and when reasonably snug, doesn't seem to be a candidate to work loose.

If you're worried about it, why not just duct-tape it? :p

Seriously, what is the incidence of this occurring? Four or five cars out of all of them made or something? I'll check my cap every time I open the hood from now on, but it doesn't seem to be a big risk item. It's what we call in the business a "high impact, very low probability" event - one that doesn't generally call for much mitigation.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not 4 or 5 cars that this happened to, maybe 4 or 5 total fires. Search this board and you'll find hundreds of posts on the topic. Most have been lucky and just replaced their cap for $35, I originally did.

It comes loose because the reservoir is right next to the headers and gets too hot. Thread design and material allows cap to works itself loose with vibration and the only place to fall is on the headers, check it out.

The tube can only turn 1/16 of a rotation or so before it hits the square side of the reservoir, it's going nowhere after that.

The tube does vent like the ****** on the OEM cap but it allows another inch or so that fluid would have to get up. You'd have to be driving pretty aggressive or have overfilled fluid. Even if so, it exits safely out under reservoir.

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I actually lost one soon after I got the car and started driving on a regular basis, now I checked it recently and it was loose again, I agree that should probably be a recall item, thanks for the heads up, Paul.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is TIGHT but I bought one anyway. Hate to allow a (5 divided by 18000) chance of burning the car to the ground for $20.

Thanks for the heads up.

Chad

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(2) I *really* wonder how well it works, since I've installed it, because it seems like the added-on piece would just rotate along with cap, at least 1/3 turn or so, based on my own visual look at it.

The cap can't be turned if you use that heavy duty tie they provide and snug it down tight on one of the nearby lines. It can't rotate in place - the cap could come "loose" but because it is fixed in position with that tie down it cannot be turned...I know because I tried to flush and fill my PS fluid last month and had to undo the thing. It worked too well! :)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The cap can't be turned if you use that heavy duty tie they provide and snug it down tight on one of the nearby lines. It can't rotate in place - the cap could come "loose" but because it is fixed in position with that tie down it cannot be turned...I know because I tried to flush and fill my PS fluid last month and had to undo the thing. It worked too well! :)

I haven't installed the tie-down, seemed like a pain in the ass when needing to change my PS fluid...plus it didn't appear evident where to install it, maybe I'll look again.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please install the tie down. You don't need to remove it at a power steering fluid change so you only do it once. The tie down keeps the bottom of the tube securely mounted to the left side of the fluid exit tube off the reservoir.

To change fluid, remove upper band clamp (very easy with small screwdriver), there will be enough play to pull tube off rubber fitting, turn sideways and remove cap. 15 seconds to put back on.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I had mine shake off on the track, scary sight, drips on the headers and smokes, gets on your brakes and you can't stop and the cap ends up on the headers and melts.

Tobes you must have some weak arms after my incident I tightened it with a set of 12" channel locks and it never shook off again.

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely for Gen I's also.

VIPER95 (Craig) - Do I get an "attaboy" for adding your tube to my signature below? :)

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy smokes Thor, even I don't have that in my signature! Thanks

Applies to all 92-02 Vipers. Cap and reservoir were changed in 03 and problem was fixed.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99GTSACR, Great picture but here's a tip. I'd rather see it installed with the tube facing the front driver wheel, not the driver like pictured. Facing the wheel allows you to place the bottom of the tube on the left side of the reservoir exit tube and this is where you zip strip it. This gives a secure, vibrate free connection. Thanks, Craig