I hate my box truck feel shifter HELP!!

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutly hate the stock shifter in my GEN III. It rarely goes into reverse on the first try and it usually gives me problems on 2nd to 3rd shifts under hard acceleration. I finally got fed up with it today. I was getting on the highway with my brother following me in his vette. And just like i was affraid of i tried to slam into 3rd and it caught 1st instead. Lets just say thank god i didnt wreck or break something. I know its possible it could be driver error. But ive been driving stick for years. I never had problems getting my vette into the gear i wanted. And my mustang was a little clunky but a steeda tri-ax short throw shifter fixed that problem. So im thinking A MGW shifter and some poly tranny mounts should fix my problems im having with the viper. Correct or no? Anyone have any advice or know of a better shifter than the MGW. Is new mounts and a shifter the fix or am i missing something else. Please help im tired of my shifter i feel like im driving a ups truck. :peod:

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MGW shifter should help quite a bit as will the new mounts, there are a couple of vendors here that can help you out with the parts you need as well as some advice on installation if you are going to do it yourself...

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the hurst shifter in my 04. The Tranny was very hard to get into reverse. It would not go into 6th unless you pulled 2 x's. The tranny was replaced with a brand new one. It is still truck like. And you have to fully disengage the clutch or it will slightly grind. Maybe it is the syncros or the gears are a straighter cut for horse power. It will never be as easy as the vette or mustang. IMO.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You may want to try different synthetic oils. I don’t remember what oil my brother put in his Porsche. He had to change it because he could not get it into any gear at all. Crazy to think oil made that much of a difference. I have a Brute Force rear in a 442 if I run anything but Mobil 1 it chatters like crazy when I take turns at slow speeds. I have not tried Royal Purple in it yet. That seems like pretty good stuff. Maybe another board member has tried diff oil.

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to try different synthetic oils. I don’t remember what oil my brother put in his Porsche. He had to change it because he could not get it into any gear at all. Crazy to think oil made that much of a difference. I have a Brute Force rear in a 442 if I run anything but Mobil 1 it chatters like crazy when I take turns at slow speeds. I have not tried Royal Purple in it yet. That seems like pretty good stuff. Maybe another board member has tried diff oil.
I used successfully Royal Purple syncro. Expensive, but working well.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly, Mark!!

While is is only speculation on my part, I suspect THREE potental problems...all gleaned from a CLOSE reading of the initial post:

"ShifTER" OEM may be loose...good time to check as well as inspect motor/tranny mounts: can find better designs for all.

"StifTOR" Quote: "i tried to slam into 3rd "...seldom good over the long haul in my CONSERVATIVE (I'm old!!) opinion...NOT meant as a slam, just an inevitable outcome of certain "applications".

"ShifTEE" These trannies are not bullet proof; more than one 03-05 tranny has blown in first few hundred miles...would have experienced "T-56 shop" open it, consider rebuild with upgrades...often around $2500.00.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW helps out a lot. Just got the woodhouse motor and tranny mounts installed. Man they are sweet. The shifter doesn't move at all under load. One of the better mods for a Gen III or IV.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4