I just put my EBC Brakes on last night and i think i may have a problem???

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys, i just put the EBC Reds on my 1994 Viper last night. I also put the EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors on as well.

anyway, i took the viper for a ride around the block, 1 mile, and i came home. the car stuck like brakes big time! is this normal? also, the right rear passanger rotor was hotter than hell!

all the rotors had mettalic dust already on them just from my 1 miles trip.

can anyone here help me out? is the e-brake possible struck or something? if so, how can i loosen it?

thanks, i am kinda lost right now because everything looks fine apprearance wise.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you clean the calipers? I had the same problem the first time I changed the brakes, but then we took off the calipers and did a thorough cleaning. Now I do a complete cleaning on every brake change and they perform great.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the right rear rotor was hot, the caliper piston may not have been turned in far enough prior to putting the new pads on.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Randy. I have put 11 sets of EBC Greenstuff on our Vipers and fellow Club members' Vipers without any problems...have ALWAYS used cordless drill and 3inch 3-M rotor resurfacing kit ans sanded them WELL...a little more that "skuffing" them, but short of "turning rotors". Agree with need to FULLY seat pistons...also BE SURE that the little wire spring clip that fits on rears has BOTH of it's ends where they are suppposed to be...there is a possibility for the straight end of this clip to slip off of it's seat during installation. Good luck...and please post your findings and solutions.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does the sanding of the pads simulate the wear in period? is this why you sand them down>?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy, I think you are supposed to sand the rotors, not the pads.

As for cleaning the calipers you need brake cleaner, air hose, and new boots and rings. You will also need some new brake fluid to add once your done.

I think there are directions on the site if you want to do this yourself. I don't know anything about cars, but the cleaning of the calipers was REALLY easy to do.

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just bought some this week at Tire Rack $79 front, $69 rear. ordered Monday here on Tuesday.
yesnod.gif

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve-Indy, can you tell me a little bit more about the 3M rotor resurfacing kit, and where you bought it?

After the last track day, I have some carbon deposits on my rotors that I can't seem to sand off with garnet paper. Maybe I'm just too lazy to spend enough time with the sanding, but the resurfacing kit sounds interesting. I thought I was going to need to have the rotors turned, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Ths, Jim

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Us track guys know this - we have learned the hard way!!!!! Even with street pads you need to seat them - so what does this mean - a very helpful Stoptech guy imparted the following gems of wisdom:

1. Pads contain a resin.
2. The idea is, after installing new pads on rotors that at minimum have been sanded, but more preferably turned, you take the car our and run it up to about 55mph and gently brake to about 10mph- repeat this proceddure 5 - 10 times, then drive home and park the car ingear with the hand brake off and let it all cool down for at least an hour.

3. What you have effectively done is transfer pad material to the root by heating up the resins contained therein.

4. Now when you are braking, it is not pad to metal but pad to pad material making the contact resulting in more effective braking.

Warning - if you do not seat the pads, you could get an uneven distribution of pad material on the rotor and this will feel like you have a warped rotor. NOTE - the way Viper rotors are manufactured it is very difficult to warp them. If you do experience this warped feel you have to have the rotors turned.

SOoooooo - your short 1 mile trip was not a good thing to do and if you used the parking brake when you got home - NOT GOOD either.

Take the car out and seat the pads per enclosed instructions - then park it.

You should be ok
I have made it a habit of turning rotors every time I replace pads - I believe I get longer pad life as a result.
Hope this helps

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here,s the info, Jim. I use 3M "Brake Rotor Surfacing Discs" ("Drill Mounted Starter Kit")...part number 01410....often stocked by your friendly SnapOn man...especially here in Indy!! The discs are 3" in daimeter, and are 120 grit...9 come in starter kit...as well as "orbital" type backing plate. I generally use 1-1.5 discs per Viper...great result, big time saver (you can leave front rotors in place).

For those of you using EBC Greenstuff pads...DO NOT SEAT PADS in classic fashion...SEE the directions enclosed in the package.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this seating and cleaning isn't going to help if the caliper piston was not turned in far enough prior to putting the new pads on. I guess the question would be, were all the wheels turning free when you were done putting on the new pads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya