I need a viper... but I have a couple questions

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 1996-2000 GTS to buy as soon as possible, but I have some questions for people.

I'm most interested in a buying a car for a good price (40k-50k valued appropriatly to the miles/year/condition), which will hold as much value as possible if I were to try to sell the car a few years down the line. I'm intending to use the car as a daily driver, at about 5k-8k miles per year.
I think it would be best to buy stock, or am I wrong?, in reference to the car holding more value. I see some TNT vipers and Hennessy ones, but I figure since they are modified they won't hold as much value as a stock viper. I won't be doing any modifications to whatever car I do buy.

As far as color and options... I was wondering. I see a steel gray with Connolly leather steering wheel and interior, which looks nice for me, but I doubt a great one for resale. Most viper fanatics are into blue and stripes or red and stripes, not with that Connolly leather? Whats the best color to buy as far as having a car that is easy to sell down the line, and what ones do you all personally recommend?

Lastly - Anyone happen to know anyone with a nice 96-02 GTS for sale with atleast 15k miles, and under 40k miles? This is about the range I think I should buy. If theres any other recommendations you have for an immediately interested newbie buyer (hoping to buy within 2-3 weeks), just post them up I guess. I'm 19 years old from the Philadelphia area - looking to step up the level of attention I get with this car, LOL =)

-Chris (New forum member)

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHeck out the classifieds on this site, autotrader.com, cars.com, and ebay of course...

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you wanting to buy one so quickly? Spend some time researching first. These arent your "every day" vehicle. As far as color goes, its your choice. A Viper looks good in any color. If your looking for the tan interior, Saphire is probably the color to choose with that interior. Check this website www.dodgevipersforsale.com. From what I know, they ONLY sell Vipers that have NO bad history and that are in almost, if not, perfect shape. The Steel color is a VERY nice color as well. It has a bluish/purple tint to it in certain light. It was only a '00 color. By the way, the Saphire was also a one year color, '01. Choosing the color of Viper should be what YOU like, NOT what you think others will like. Everyones going to like it anyway, its a Viper! Also, one quick note: These cars CAN, DO AND WILL BITE! Be careful and RESPECT it. Its VERY unforgiving.

Austin

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 19 years old from the Philadelphia area - looking to step up the level of attention I get with this car, LOL =)

Hi Chris,

I'm a 16 year old Jewish girl from Long Island...And I could give you all the attention you need! I like long walks on the pier, crab cakes, Vanilla Ice, and VIPERS!

Please call me!

Signed,

Amy Fischer

OP
OP
C

ChrisXoxide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did talk to the guys from DodgeVipersForSale.com, he was very helpful, and I'm hoping I get a phone call soon with some more potential leads on cars. He had one I was interested in he offered at a fair price, but I may want to wait and see if I can find something a little less in price from him, and maybe a few more miles on it. Definately though, they seem different than a regular car dealer when it comes to straightforward business dealings.

Chris

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I need a viper... but I have a couple questions

Have fun insuring a Viper @ 19...hope you have zero accidents or tickets...

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
which will hold as much value as possible if I were to try to sell the car a few years down the line.

Consider the Corolla, I hear they have excellent resale...

It's obvious you really don't know what your getting into. This car is not an investment and I guarentee if you are buying one under that pretense you'll loose your shirt and be p1ssed. If you're only interested in looking sharp you really should consider something more along the lines of a Benz, vette, or even top-end suv - far better options for you.

The viper is a firecracker, once lit it will amaze you, but not too many will want it after your done.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude I would advise you to listen to Bonkers... If there's anyone who would know about the Viper being like a firecracker, it's him...

Just kiddin Bonk! :)

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The 96/97 blue/white's do hold a premium value, but if your just going to clock on the miles they all depreciate faster. If your going to drive it that much I'd get one with an extended warranty. Good luck and welcome.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

are you buying the car b/c you like it? or to impress the chicks? you need to get a life :rolleyes:

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm 19 years old from the Philadelphia area - looking to step up the level of attention I get with this car, LOL =)

Ask yourself why you need extra attention. Funny thing is I could give a rats a$$ about this. I (and alot of others) ride these things in ripped Levis and t-shirts. I have followed the Viper for 10 years...took 1 year to find it...studied this sight for 3 years...and THEN bought the car.

You will be disspointed with the car, I can tell you right now. You do not fit the profile (imo).

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Believe me, you WILL get A LOT of attention in a Viper. But, a lot of Viper owners get tired of it real fast. Thats what I have noticed.

Austin

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Geez, you guys are brutal! Buy one, you'll love it! Chicks dig Vipers!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I (and alot of others) ride these things in ripped Levis and t-shirts.

Michael...You should see my White Trash t-shirt...Wear it in my RT all the time...Plain white tees and jeans suits me just fine...Hell, I don't even think I own a tie...and I am positive I don't own one pair of khaiki dockers...Then again, I am a bit of a heathen!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I live very near to Philly and do not/would not use my GTS as a daily driver. (I use a Mustang GT for that.)

If you are looking to lose as little of the money spent on this car as possible...you should be looking at other costs associated with owning, maintaining a Viper..insurance for a daily driven Viper at your age (no disrespect intended) is gonna be rough.

If you are looking to sell your Mustang to help finance this purchase you may also want to double check what the Stang is worth. Currently, Mustangs (except SVT & Mach 1) have a $3000 rebate and this has hurt the used Mustang values.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow you guys are hard for the most point but I must say just about everything you all are saying is true. Chris I just sent you a Personal Message and E mail. Send me a response after you read it.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I (and alot of others) ride these things in ripped Levis and t-shirts.

Michael...You should see my White Trash t-shirt...Wear it in my RT all the time...Plain white tees and jeans suits me just fine...Hell, I don't even think I own a tie...and I am positive I don't own one pair of khaiki dockers...Then again, I am a bit of a heathen!

Or is that a Redneck? ;)

Austin

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

G; nice one bro

resale?? stupid. no offense its not an investment its a car and one helluva car IMO. buy it cause you want it not cause you want to be whinning about resale. Bonkers gave damnn good advice if you want resale

as for level of attention,(hmmm 19yoa) heres an idea; bulk your asss up, get a mohawk, get an attitude, and youll get all the attention (and asss) you want,(not that i know from experience, LOL) if you still want to add a viper to the equation, you better have a strong back ,LOL

fe155

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What all you guys said , my sentiments exactly , and im only a six month viper owner . But i had a feeling it would be this way cause i had some exotics .But not this crazy. When i have my car parked and where i can see it i have idiots try to open the door and look inside like there at some car show. Then they follow you down the highway for miles , honk horns , yell out loud and i just want to be left alone, im waiting for someone to ask for my autograph , yes im tired of it . These cars change in the blue book value just like everything else . If you get a good deal ya you could be ahead for a while but not with high miles (by the way i have a used car dealership in S.D. )I paid 63k for my 02 "fe" from the orig owner with 800 miles on it,i plan putting 15k into it to make it the way i want and then plan on losing 10 to 15 when i sell it. But you cant put a price on a good time , and every time i drive it thats how i feel!

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A bit of a slide from this thread, but the most attention-getting car I ever owned was a '71 Challenger convertible, cloned into an R/T (no R/T convertibles in '71, just in '70). VERY healthy 440 w/915 heads, 509 cam, etc., 727, rallye hood, black R/T stripes, legendary interior, hood blackout, R/T side scoops, quad R/T exhaust extensions, "Go wing"...you know, the works.

The car was originally a 318 car, and ugly green. When finished into the R/T clone, it was Panther Pink.

Females would follow for miles and make dates at traffic lights. The convenient "one night" kind of dates. More police attention than the Vipers I've owned, combined. Pain in the ass, but great for the sex life. Or maybe it was the Groucho glasses I wore in it...or the kielbasa I stuffed in my trou?

Nice sound, too. I wish Viper V-10s could sound like those V-8 Mopars.