I need help with 2 issues

songsbybutch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RT/10

Issue #1 No matter what vent I have selected, air comes out the "defrost" vents.
Issue #2 When I hit the lock button on the key fob, the horn beeps 3 times. The doors lock but the alarm does not arm.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like the mode door or actuator is busted for issue #1. Don't recall how involved of a process it was to pull the dash on a gen 1 (I pulled my mom's 94 to paint it, but it was a while ago) or if you can even access the actuator when you get it off. On my gen 3 the tip of the door where the actuator attaches sheared off on my temp door, so no matter what I set it to I got hot air all the time. Sounds like a very similar problem, though it could be the actuator just isn't moving at all on yours. Can't really tell without taking it apart to watch it.

Not sure on number 2. Sounds like maybe a faulty sensor? Like it won't arm the alarm because one sensor still shows as "open" to the computer. Do your curtesy lights work when either door opens? I think there is a hood switch as well if I remember correctly. You might check those with a multimeter and see if they are opening and closing correctly. I think there was a test procedure you could do with some variety of key switch on/off thing and the fob that would let you test the switches one at a time. Something like turning the key on and off a few times would put it into test mode, then every time you open a door or switch the horn is supposed to honk once or something like that.

OP
OP
songsbybutch

songsbybutch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "courtesy lights". Hood switch seems to be working fine. If you could find out more about putting the car in "test mode", that would be awesome. Thanks

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I mean overhead or floor lights, like what normally comes on inside a car when you open the door so you can see the interior. I don't recall if the earlier cars had them though now that I think about it. My gen 3 has them in the rearview mirror and some bulbs just hanging loose under the dash in the footwells. I'll see if I can find what I was reading before. I think it might have been in my mom's 94 service manual, so no 100% sure if it would still apply to the later cars, but guess it can't hurt to try.

OP
OP
songsbybutch

songsbybutch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes sir. My interior lights are also on the rear view mirror and they come on when I open the doors. Also, the lights on the lock buttons stay on after I close the doors. They turn off when I hit the lock button on the key fob. It's my understanding that they should turn off after a short period of time whether I lock the doors or not.

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also own a 2001 RT/10 . I had an issue with my alarm , would not arm , can’t remember how many times the horn beeped . I traced the problem to a broken wire on the key disconnect in the glove box. The wires were very tight and it pulled loose from the back of the key switch . Possibility. Good luck.

ThunderRoad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any updates on the issue causing the horn to beep 3 times when locking, system not arming, along with LED on lock buttons staying lit?

I have the same symptoms on my 2001GTS, and the only things I have not checked at this point would be the key switch in glove box, and replacing the EEM. Tried unplugging and reinserting connectors in case they were loose. No luck. All switches are working.

Any ideas of how the key switch would impact these issues? I thought it was simply a pulse reset?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One wonders if there is an internal short inside the reset switch...thus preventing the alarm from engaging.

ThunderRoad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's an interesting posibility Steve, and I appreciate all of your help and input on this issue as it relates to my GTS.

I wonder if the DRB3 scanner would be able to give any info in that regard. Would there be a different fault for a short in the key switch vs a failing EEM?

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how the key in the glove box works but as my post states that was my fix. My door led lights stayed on all the time.The rear panel the glove box is in is easy and quick to lift forward to access key switch. Good luck.

ThunderRoad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, it was the VTSS key switch after all. It was sending constant power to the EEM, which illuminates door lights and prevents the system from arming not to mention a noticeable power drain. Simple test is to check for power at the C11 wire of the C1 plug (large blue plug) going to EEM. If you have 12v there, switch is stuck closed.

Cheers!

GregVP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see you replied with a fix. Good to hear it was a simple and inexpensive fix.Nice explanation on how to troubleshoot.