I need some expert advice!

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a 2004 and located one at a Dodge Dealership that according to the saleman, was a "Replacement Vehicle" buy back from Dodge. He said that the vehicle was purchased new and that the car exhibited "engine vibration". Dodge bought the car back (lemon law) and then replaced the whole engine. According to the salesman, Dodge was the one who replaced the engine. The car only has 3k miles on the odometer and is spotless. The car has two years left on the manufacturer's warranty. Excellent price (due to the circumstances). My question, is it worth purchasing a car that was bought back and had the engine replaced? What am I getting myself into? I figure I'm saving about ~$5k from comparably vehicles that I've considered (2004's with the same mileage). I appreciate the input!

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it has a new engine in it the engine was most likely rebuilt at Arrow Engineering. Assuming that is the cse which it always is the case you can't go wrong with an Arrow engine. I have one in my car and they always come back BETTER than new. Arrow engine are assembled by engineers not UAW workers. BUY the car and have fun.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would also add that while the resale could be slightly diminished based on the history, it sounds like that "hit" is already being taken up front. Buy it! :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Buy it. I'm in so Cal too. Which dealer by the way? Some are better than others.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, and I am 90% sure that the 2004's (and 2003's) have a 7/70 powertrain warranty. They discontinued that for 2005 and they only have 3/36. With a 7/70 what is not to like?

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my'03 under similar conditions and I am very happy. Mine however had a tiny oil leak which I found after I bought it.
It was fixed under warranty, someone forgot to put teflon tape on the oil sending unit. It is the best way to get a few more hp and tq for nothing. I also actually saved a couple of bucks because of the arrow rebuild. Buy it!

eagles

OP
OP

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! You guys are on the ball! It actually IS the car in Peoria but I wasn't aware that it was on ebay. When I checked out the site on ebay, it stated a BMW dealership but the guy I contacted was from Sam Leman Dodge. He did state that the car has the 7/70 power train warranty. He also said that the in-service date was 12/03 however the ebay add stated 08/03??? However, the VIN's match. It's obvious that there's a wealth of knowledge concerning the Viper on this forum. I've been "trolling" this site for the past year and I really appreciate the input and look forward in being an "active" member soon!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960