I think my belt broke ... dark out. Lost power steering after taking a turn ---

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh i see that is how you escaped from Alcatraz:lmao:
Yea, :rolaugh: Sadly we don't have good tool shops like Harbour freight in the UK so having to go out and purchase a puller that I would hardly ever use just seemed like an additional cost I could do without ;) There was no way I was bothered about keeping a cheap plastic pulley for sentimental value so just cut it off.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just went out to look at the situation.

The power steering pump pulley is wobbly at the shaft ... its not cracked or anything ... and the bracket is still fine.

Kicked the belt completely off...

The OEM pulley has a metal hub, and I'm thinking the plastic has pulled away from the metal hub on your pulley. Seen this before.

Don't toss your old belt if it looks okay. Very few places stock spare belts, so this would be worth keeping as an emergency spare.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Post a picture when you have the pulley out. I replaced mine a few years ago after reading some threads like this. Mine had 3 cracks in it just waiting for the optimum time to let go.

You should also take a look at the tightness of your crankshaft/harmonic balancer bolt just in case that's loose and allowed the balancer to wiggle and caused the belt to move around and then break a weak pulley. A loose crankshaft bolt is not as common as a cracked PS pulley; but, people do come on here and post about bad things that happen as a result of a loose bolt.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will definitely check that bolt. What is the spec to torque it down to? I appreciate the tip ---

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Socket size it 1 1/4" or 31MM. You probably will not be able to torque check it without help.

I didn't try to torque mine to spec, I just torqued it as high as I could with what I had. All I really wanted to do was verify it wasn't loose like some have experienced. It didn't move, so, I'm assuming that it was installed at spec.. One of those things I did when stuff was out of the way during other activities.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
250ft lbs is a lot..so if you didn't use a long breaker bar then it's probably not to spec. I'm sure it'll be fine though. I would add torque strip or paint a line on the bolt so you can do a visual check everytime the oil is changed.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The crank pulley bolt is a one man job. I use a hub tool I built to hold the axle. IIRC the best fit socket is a 31mm 6-point. I have both a 32mm and a 31mm but the 31 has a few marks on the inside and the 32 does not so me thinks 31 was the ticket. A 7" 1/2 dr wobble extension (5" wobble, 2" std) helped clear the steering box.

You must be registered for see images