I thought I had a 3.55...

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long story short. The first thing we did 4 years ago, was put a different gear in. Local Viper tech (whom I found out shortly thereafter had a reputation of "swapping parts") quoted me a price to put in a 3.55. He said it was a 3.55, invoiced me for a 3.55, I paid for a 3.55. For a couple of years now I questioned it (basically because I couldn't get thru the 1/4 mile w/o shifting to 5th), but never checked it. After doing some logs and checking with some of the guys in the "Roe Supercharger" thread, I decided to check it with every gear calculator I could find online. Today I jacked rear end up and did a definite check. IT'S NOT A 3.55. I've got a 3.73, and that's what all the gear calculators revealed as well. Anyway, I'm gonna get it done right this time. Dropping the car off with 1Tony1 this weekend for a few other things as well.
Well maybe it wasn't a "long story short".
My question is, would you go with a real 3.55 or a 3.33. I'm leaning towards the 3.33. Anybody in need of a 3.73?:D
Mods: 6.5 Roe, H/S's, K&N's, 170 stat, no cats

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an option: you could also get 19" or 20" rears (i think i read that 20's w/ 3.73 = about 3.55)

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long story short. The first thing we did 4 years ago, was put a different gear in. Local Viper tech (whom I found out shortly thereafter had a reputation of "swapping parts") quoted me a price to put in a 3.55. He said it was a 3.55, invoiced me for a 3.55, I paid for a 3.55. For a couple of years now I questioned it (basically because I couldn't get thru the 1/4 mile w/o shifting to 5th), but never checked it. After doing some logs and checking with some of the guys in the "Roe Supercharger" thread, I decided to check it with every gear calculator I could find online. Today I jacked rear end up and did a definite check. IT'S NOT A 3.55. I've got a 3.73, and that's what all the gear calculators revealed as well. Anyway, I'm gonna get it done right this time. Dropping the car off with 1Tony1 this weekend for a few other things as well.
Well maybe it wasn't a "long story short".
My question is, would you go with a real 3.55 or a 3.33. I'm leaning towards the 3.33. Anybody in need of a 3.73?:D
Mods: 6.5 Roe, H/S's, K&N's, 170 stat, no cats

You might could round up a reasonably priced 3.07 complete. I have a 4.10 I was having set up for the 1/8 mile..........hmmmmm........3.73

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a similar setup as yours and I am running 3.55's. They work fine for me, but if I was doing it again, I'd probably go with the 3.33's instead as it seems like the best compromise when you are running more than stock power.

Rim size doesn't affect gearing, but tire size does. I have 20's on the back and the tire diameter is the same as stock, so there is no net effect. I did just buy a set of MT 345/18 drag radials for the stock 18" rims for the drags and they are quite a bit bigger in diameter, so that should help with the gearing somewhat.

In my case when I go from a stock 26" size tire to a 27.5" tire like the MT that takes my gearing from a 3.55 to a 3.36 (26 / 27.5 * 3.73)

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
an option: you could also get 19" or 20" rears (i think i read that 20's w/ 3.73 = about 3.55)

I originally considered that. And although I'm looking for a set of 18/19"'s (for other reasons), I rather would want to change gear.

You might could round up a reasonably priced 3.07 complete. I have a 4.10 I was having set up for the 1/8 mile..........hmmmmm........3.73

I still have my original 3.07 ring/pinion (supposedly that's what tech gave me back, but who knows:D)
Are you saying you may be interested in the 3.73...hmmmmm....:drive:

What's wrong with the 3:73? How much? Do you have the doo dad that fixes the speedo?

Yes, I have the re-calibrator, but will need to re-set it based upon new set up.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning even more to the 3.33

OP
OP
U

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock gears are 3.07. I had 3.73s on my first car(96RT/10). Perfect gear for the old Gen I cars :2tu:

Agree. I always thought a 3.73 would be too steep a gear for even a stock car. When we were N/A with a few mods, the gear seemed pretty nice. Or as you say, perfect. When we had the gear changed our thinking was "we'll NEVER do anything else to the motor, so lets change that and be done with it".:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yeah right! :D

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the 3.73 really wakes up the car. It will naturally run hotter so a diff cooler would be a great addition. I ran 3.73 at the track and it is at or near redline at the end of the 1/4. I switched to 3.54 gears and run better 1/4 mile times 11.7 123 mph. My thoughts are the perfect 1/4 mile gear for a basically stock 04 would be around 3.62 just in between the two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4