I TOO GOT MY NEW 05 SRT YESTERDAY !!

Reaction score
I'M NOT A ****** ANYMORE.(by a show of hands, who likes caps?)

Yesterday was the first time I drove a Dodge Viper, and it was MINE.

First let's go back in time.....

One day, about 6-weeks ago, a buddy and I went to look at new vettes (C06) at three local vette dealers, we thought we both wanted NEW vettes. He's owned over 10 vettes, and I've owned one(a used 1980, paid like $10K, mine must of been a real lemon for some odd reason, every time I drove it, it kept running into things, and when it rained, forget it, my date would get all WET, but not from excitement, from the leaks in the tops.

Well anyway, after looking he decided he didn't want to spend all that money for a new vette, and I only like new cars(insert smell here).

I told him, sure, like I'm going to spend $7,500-$10,000 over MSRP for a market adjustment to boot. No way.

After finishing up looking, on the way to get a bite to eat, we drive pass a DODGE dealer, and my buddy sees a used 04 Z06 on the used car lot, let's stop real quick and look. After a closer look, the car reveals being beat to (insert dirty word), with lots of miles. The salesman says, the guy traded it in for a new Viper. And I believe everything a salesman says (please exclude Bill & Chuck). I say okay, thanks.

As we were driving out of the lot, I saw on the showroom floor through the window two cool looking cars, center stage on the showroom floor, I said Tom, those look cool, lets go in and take a closer look. But I'm really hungry, please just for a minute. We go in....

Well there were these two hot looking babes.... oops sorry, two hot looking Vipers, one yellow and a silver Mamba. A mamba, how do you spell that?, what is a mamba? After spending an hour there, and negotiating, though not seriously,
(sorry, I am anal and like to do my due-diligence before I jump in HEAD first) I remember the salesman saying initially, we don't discount the Viper.

Well we get back into my car, and I said to Tom, I like that a lot better than the new vette. I'd rather have a Viper. Vettes are a dime a dozen, we see them everywhere. Vipers, I never see. I always wanted an exotic looking car. I decide then and there, I want a 2005 yellow Dodge Viper SRT 10.

ANOTHER SHORT HISTORY LESSON-I've only known one guy who ever owned a Viper, he had one of the first ones when they came out, and it was really primitive, like no a/c, no real roof, no real windows, just raw power and kind of a cool look to it.

What do I need to know about Vipers? What price should I be paying? What do I need to know before I do something really stupid that I might regret later?

WELL THANKS TO ALL YOU VCA MEMBERS, this forum and site helped me tremendously.

Here goes my journey:

Like others, I never got the chance to test drive one, though if it counts, I have sat in many at several dealerships in our area (and I did once stay at a Holiday Inn).

I am 6' and weigh 200 lbs, and work out at the new gym, Body By Realtor.

What the hell was I thinking, I'm a lot bigger than a lot of these guys
(I said bigger, nothing about penis size) how will I fit and feel driving the car for real.

Well after reading all the post recently, I was concerned that maybe I did make a mistake buying the car, and not yet having received it (almost five weeks now).

What did I do? I buy a car from an out of state dealer, never seeing the car, never driving the car, and a manual transmission as well. Oh brother what have I done?

.... and I have to buy, a what, a lowering kit to fit in the car. After spending all this money, I have to modify the seats.

....and another newbie just gets his and wants to GIVE IT BACK several hours after he bought it and mine is coming soon, AND HE GIVE IT BACK FOR A VETTE, Oh, what have I done?

Well here's my short and sweet review.

Please note my disclosures:
I bought the car, because I fell in love with the looks.
It is not and will not be a daily driver.
I did look at new vettes, the difference to me was I see vettes everywhere, and not Vipers, exclusivity, you know, kind of like the Camry effect.

I got it yesterday, LOL I was nervous and forgot you had to push the RED button to start it. Oh, delivery driver, could you help me, it doesn't seem to start. Oh, the red button, thats cool. I like buttons.

THIS BEAST IS SMOKING HOT, its so fricking cool to drive, you don't want to put in down. Its like a new toy at Christmas, and baby I unwrapped it.

I heard you had to be careful to drive it, MY ASS, this thing rips, handles and steers like a dream, around turns, in the straights, it gets it, and I got it.

In addition, I picked up the kids from school (one at a time, do you believe it, there's no back seats). My 12-year old said dad, this is cool, its like a long roller coastal ride, it pulls you back in the seat and makes your stomach feel good.

I said you think thats cool, I turn on the after burners, the NOZ kicks in, I floor it, (The litle guy on my shoulder, says Steve, its Bill Pemberton, no more than 4000 RPM during the break-in period) Okay so I had it up to 4000 RPMs and I was in a school zone and all. The kids love it, the wife loves it, and more important, I love it. Its time for mods, and the track for me.

After a quick 40-mile drive, it started looking like rain, can't get it wet now can we, into the garage it goes, with little time left (11:30PM) to complete my Race Deck yellow and alloy checkerboard floors to go with my Gladiator garage system.

Great decision, great car, everything I hoped for and more............special thanks to all for helping make it real.

Ps-I now have to save $$$ for my 2nd Viper purchase, maybe a coupe this time. Thanks for reading.
SELLSHOMESandnowDRIVESVIPER

Reaction score
Congratulations!

And welcome to the Viper addicts of America.

The handling capability of a Viper is impressive in the hands of skilled pilots. Watch adding power and braking while turning. The Viper has massive grip but there is a limit and when the limit is exceeded things(rear tire grip give up) happen very fast.

Enjoy your car!

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard you had to be careful to drive it, MY ASS, this thing rips, handles and steers like a dream, around turns, in the straights, it gets it, and I got it.

It is a great car, but in the hands of a cocky driver can be dangerous. Just take your time and learn the car. I would hate to see another wrecked Viper thread ... or worse. :2tu:

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations for both getting your new car and "getting" the Viper ownership experience. May you have many thrilling drives!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this was Alice...LOL
Congrats....................

That was the first thing I thought too....Good read! When it's broken in and you REALLY get on it just make sure you're not going around a corner when you do it, be VERY careful of cold pavement in the fall, and don't miss a shift, the Snake will bite you right in the **** under any of those circumstances. Good choice with Pemberton.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have it hooked up Nitrous?

Have fun, but seriously those big fat tires hook up real good on a hot day, but with all that torque, you can get wheel hop or break loose in a heartbeat and when the tires "grab a hold" you will launch in whatever direction you are currently pointing.

The snake will KILL you (or worse your passenger/other bystanders), quicker than you can blick an eye.

But it enjoy it.

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just wait until you start making the modifications... then you will really wonder if you've gone over the deep end

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought this was Alice...LOL
Congrats....................

LMAO

Same here. Thought she had one of them thar pseudonems.

Congrats on your new Viper! Hope you've seen one of the numerous threads from an owner who has wrapped his/her SRT around a telephone pole. Take 'er easy at first.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks again to all who replied and the many on this forum that assisted me greatly on my new endeavor.

I will drive it safe, real tight and to the normal limits of the car.

Until then stay the HELL out of my way, as there is a
NEW VIPER DRIVER ON BOARD.

HANS, I shout at you as soon as I wipe the smile off my face and it stops raining. I scheduled an appointment with Pepi for a Clear Bra.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
welcome to the dark side :2tu:

for some reason i think you and alice or is it alice and you (lol) will have
some interesting conversations on this board, only thing i ask is if it seems
of importance to the rest of us rewrite it in laymens terms.(lol)

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CONGRATS,

THANKS FOR GIVING DETAILS OF YOUR FIRST DRIVE IN THE CAR! I TOO WAS WORRIED AFTER READING OTHER NEWBIES STORIES ABOUT THEIR NEW PURCHASE, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO DRIVE THIS FINE PIECE OF MACHINERY EITHER.

I HAPPEN TO BE IN THE SAME BOAT YOU WERE IN A FEW DAYS AGO. I'M NOW WAITING FOR MY 05 SILVER MAMBA WHICH SHOULD BE ARRIVING IN MIAMI THE WEEK AFTER MEMORIAL WEEKEND. MY CAR IS COMING FROM OUT OF STATE AS WELL. I COULD HAVE HAD AN OPPORTUNITY FROM A DEALER IN BROWARD TO DRIVE EITHER A YELLOW, RED, OR SILVER MAMBA THAT THEY HAD IN THEIR SHOWROOM, BUT THEY DID NOT WANT TO DISCOUNT THE CAR. I SINCERELY THOUGHT THEY WOULD, ESPECIALLY AFTER I REALIZED THAT THE CARS HAVE BEEN IN THE SHOWROOM FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR MINE TO GET HERE! MY 6 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WHO IS TELLING ALL HER CLASSMATES AND TEACHER THAT SHE CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE IN HER DADDIES NEW CONVERTIBLE CAR THAT HAS A SNAKES NAME :laugh:

IF YOUR CLOSE TO MIAMI, MAYBE WE'LL RUN INTO EACH OTHER!
ENJOY YOUR YELLOW SNAKE!!!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mamba20 (name in all lowercase) are you related to EXECMALIBU? Use of lowercase would be nice. Caps indicates shouting and is harder to read.

mamba20

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mamba20 (name in all lowercase) are you related to EXECMALIBU? Use of lowercase would be nice. Caps indicates shouting and is harder to read.

When I registered, I did it so quick that I didn't even realize I did mamba20 in all lowercase. I don't think I can change it to caps (at least the M that is). Also about my post in all caps, it was done at 1:16a.m. and was falling a sleep and didn't even realize it until now that you mentioned it....... Sorry about that!!! Oh, and I'm not related to EXECMALIBU.

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats glad to hear it went well and it was certainly worth the wait. After two months behind the wheel of the SRT I have learned one thing Aretha Franklin had it right RESPECT the torque. ENJOY!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte