If I unplug all my 02 sensors......

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What would happen?

Would the car just throw a check engine light, but still run fine?

Go into some sort of limp mode?

Run like shicaca?

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes a check engine lite will come on and I assume under open loop it will run ok but once it goes into closed loop it will run like crap. Why would you do that? OBD2 cars have heated o2's and are more sensitive when they dont work than obd1 cars

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL run like shicaca??? That was funny!

I'm still getting familiar with these cars, but if it's anything like OBDI, my guess is that the car will trip a check engine light, and will not run right because the PCM doesn't know what the AFRs are, and therefore, cannot adjust injector pulse widths accordingly, particularly in closed loop operation.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you leave the O2's in place and just unplug them, you can damage the sensors.

I tried an experiment to run the car just using the VEC2 to control everything and no O2 sensors. It ran pretty good on a dyno, but after about 20 miles of street driving, it would barely run anymore. PCM definitely got all confused.

OP
OP
D

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am getting ready to put her in the shop. I haven't hardly driven the car in the last few months since I noticed the problem, and haven't had a chance to work on it. To make a long story short, after I got pulled over by the state trooper this morning and sat and idled for about 10 minutes, it ran terrible the rest of the way to work. Just now on the way home, ran almost fine the entire way (5th gear, 2000+ rpm).
I am suspecting a faulty 02, and I have to drive 40 miles to the Dodge dealership, thats why I asked the question of disconnecting the 02 plugs.

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Which dealer are you taking your car to? And what's the outcome with the State Trooper?

OP
OP
D

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rockville Dodge. I pulled over to check my car out when I "thought" I got past N.S.A. property. Within 20 seconds of getting out of my car, I had a state trooper pulled up behind me. He ran my license and registration. When he brought them back to me, he informed me I did nothing wrong, but if ANYBODY stops along that stretch of highway, they get checked out.

Still didn't look good for me to all the cars going past!

Oh, and on the way home I ran across an EVIL looking Z06- cowl hood, lowered, boost guages on pillar. We both took the high road and gave eachother the thumbs up.

I must be getting old. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960