If price was the same, would you go Coupe or Vert??

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i saw a documentary the other day about racing. it covered NASCAR, funny car, pro stock to name a few.

it appears that at one time those cars actually looked like the cars we drive on the streets!

the whole film looked photoshopped to me. ;)

ViperKSA

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have to say the coupe looks more aggressive IMO, but something else that bothers me about all convertibles (not just vipers) is the feeling of being overly exposed and/or begging for attention (I know this might seem ludicrous to many, but I truly feel I’m putting myself on display “to see and be seen” when I drive a convertible) I wonder if anyone shares this feeling?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my Vert. In San Diego the ability to drop the top for a cruise is huge. Can put the top back up for the chilly drive home at night.

Makes the car a totally different experience.

If you are looking for a track car, the coupe might be a better choice. The coupe also looks terrific.

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to say the coupe looks more aggressive IMO, but something else that bothers me about all convertibles (not just vipers) is the feeling of being overly exposed and/or begging for attention (I know this might seem ludicrous to many, but I truly feel I’m putting myself on display “to see and be seen” when I drive a convertible) I wonder if anyone shares this feeling?

I already feel like I am on display when I drive any Viper. But when I had the convertible, it felt like the 10 0' clock news had a helicopter watching my every move. I felt like I was scoped out more than an Iraqi in an assassins sight.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my second convertible. As scary as it sounds to me, if the Viper wouldn't have come in a convertible, I wouldn't have bought it, as that characteristic was non-negotiable in my search for a new toy. Lucky for me it did, because looking back, I can't imagine living without all the fun the SRT has made possible. And I’m still pleased that she goes ******* both on and off the track.

Recognizing that a convertible is not ideal for the track, does anyone know of anyone that can fabricate a custom roll cage that could be assembled inside the SRT-10 convertible for track days and disassembled for the street?

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No question - convertible. You get the best of both worlds... Considering I never owned a convertible before, I was not looking for a convertible. I was looking for power, torgue and a rigid race-ready chasis. The Viper conbines all of that with a convertible top. A great bonus. While I have heard of the additional rigidity of the coupe, I dont think it makes much of a difference on the street. In addition I am now spoiled with the option of topdown motoring.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a Gen 1, GTS and now SRT, I would have to say the vert. I have had hard tops for both the RT and SRT so it really hasn't been an issue. The new Coupe does look more like a traditional Viper--from far enough away I have trouble distinguishing it from a GTS. I still think the best Viper look is a rear shot of the RT with no top.

OP
OP
V

ViperCrazed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, ok. appreciate all the answers. But, put yourself in my situation. I live in Alabama.(Do I have to tell you how hot it gets down here?) Would driving a black coupe in 95 degree weather be ridiculous? I had never even considered a vert but after I recently got my first ride in a Viper (04 vert) I feel like I can get spoiled on that top down feeling. I think my best bet might be to get a vert and then in the winter/night time driving put on a hardtop. Whatcha think??????

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm days away from my second Viper Coupe, and I have bought a Viper Vert too (still in the family). Setting aside the fact that they have by far produced more gen 3 Verts then gen 3 coupes, and the rareness of a coupe, I still would pick the coupe, because of its track usability, the fact that when it gets too hot out, the top HAS to come up on a vett, or you sweat your *** off, or when its cold the top has to come up on a vert, I chose a coupe. So unless its ONLY going to be used for 70-80 degree sunny days (relatively speaking there are far less of those in a year, then the remainder) I think practicality of the coupe is actually greater. Can you put the top up on a vert? Yup, and visibility is not as good, and regidity isnt as good, and you get more road noise.

In short for PERFECT days, with cruising, Vert no doubt.
For whats left when you dont have perfect days or if you dont want bugs on the perfect days, or you dont often go through the hassle of taking down the manual top on the viper, Coupe wins.

I luv 'em both, like children, each one should be appeciated for its uniquenesses, one is not BETTER then the other. Get both !

Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like having a lid. But that's just me.

Anyone know what the rollover protection is in the coupe? I'd like to see the cutaway / body and frame diagram from the repair manual. Hopefully they went back to the stout roll hoop design like in the Gen I/II cars in the coupe.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the snake is a weekend car, I'd be hard pressed to buy a car whose top doesn't come off or go away. It doesn't really matter that many days in the summer are not really that comfortable *******, or that bad weather means putting a top on or up. It's just so worth it on those perfect days and I'd always hate being confined by a coupe when they come around. I had Vette before with the removable glass roof, have an RT-10 now with both roofs, and would love to have an SRT-10 vert someday.
Only coupe I'd want is a comp coupe! (dedicated track car.):)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
For anyone who can afford the Viper, the difference in price is meaningless....

for me, living in south Florida, it should be against the law to buy hardtop cars when there is a conv. available!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far a rigidity goes, I think 95% of us wouldn't know the difference, even on the track, that is to say if it even sees the track. However I agree that if it is too hot the top goes up and too cold it goes up as well. As far as road noise, my car is extremely quiet at speed, more so then I ever assumed. I have heard that there have been issues with excessive road/wind noise with the coupe just not sure if that has been addressed or whther it was just one instance.

In the end it is great to have the option to drop it on those days and nights in between. That is just my preference.

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone who can afford the Viper, the difference in price is meaningless....

for me, living in south Florida, it should be against the law to buy hardtop cars when there is a conv. available!!

Amen, except replace Florida with California.

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Convertibles, are worth more to people driving cars not racing them.

I wouldn't consider a coupe, even if it were $10,000 less expensive. I didn't consider an R/T 10 or Corvette Z06 because neither is a full convertible.

I currently own 4 convertibles, and they all provide great driving pleasure.

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the way a coupe looks more than the vert (although I love any Viper)

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Convertible ! I live in Central Illinois and previously had a 2001 Vette Convertible. I never used the AC once. I've had my Viper since early April and haven't used the AC in it either. In the winter if the temp is 40* or above and the sun is out the top is down. With the heater on of course.
CB

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Convertible=Best of both worids.

Go from vert
You must be registered for see images
To coupe in minutes..

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nice job! I really like that "track day" conversion.

Does the spoiler just bolt on? What happens to the mounting hardware/positions/holes when it's a vert?

Please post details or a link. :)

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Does the spoiler just bolt on? What happens to the mounting hardware/positions/holes when it's a vert?"

Every thing added to the car uses exsisting holes and hardware( Wing uses 2 brackets mounted under the trunk lid), no mods are required...Totally reversible. :cool:
Check with Tony at AUTOFORM