Ignition key blank questions - what is OEM & why so much!

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) why is a blank key without fob $125 from Dodge! Ouch.
2) I have only ever had one key and it does not look like this $43 key for sale on e-bay. What did the keys you got with your car when you bought it new in 1998 look like?

You must be registered for see images attach

My key has a logo like below, but is shaped like the profile view of a countersunk screw head:

You must be registered for see images

I think I will visit Ace Hardware and see if they can cut me something for $2

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 2 came with a black Y-157 key (Dodge Ram Key) and I found a Gen 3 "Fangs" key blank on ebay for only $10. It came brand new in a Mopar package.

AndyMac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 95 had the same key as an old dodge shadow and cars of the era. I got a couple of the gen 3 keys off of ebay for 30 bucks and had them cut. They work ok, but I found the heads of the keys to be almost too thick to fit in the ignition.

Later,

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These came with my '01. I've since bought more remotes and blanks off eBay NOS stuff. $25 for the blk/gry keys and $45 for remotes.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's nothing special about the old Viper keys except what they go in to. Myself, I like the Viper logo on the head, but it's not necessary.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05102103AA GEN 3 key list is $24.00. I am sure you could even get it cheaper if you get a discount with a dealer. We have customers with neons that buy gen3 viper keys and cut them for there own car. ( have not checked if a blank will fit in a gen 2)

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is what my remote looks like so looks like that is OEM, but my key does not looke like that. I got a second key cut at Ace Hardware for under $3. It has the rubber-coated wings, but no logo at all.

These came with my '01.

spikeone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can anyone confirm if Gen3 Fangs Keys fit in a Gen 2 viper?

my car came with only 1 Sneaky Pete key and 1 FOB so looking into purchasing another set of each and it seems Sneaky Pete keys are almost 2-3 times more expensive then Gen 3 Fangs key

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) why is a blank key without fob $125 from Dodge! Ouch.
2) I have only ever had one key and it does not look like this $43 key for sale on e-bay. What did the keys you got with your car when you bought it new in 1998 look like?

You must be registered for see images attach

My key has a logo like below, but is shaped like the profile view of a countersunk screw head:

I think I will visit Ace Hardware and see if they can cut me something for $2

Your pic of the key looks just like mine for my 99 GTS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang