I'm curious about our over sea Viper owners.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I\'m curious about our over sea Viper owners.

Since you probobly don't see as many Vipers in other countries like the USA, what kind of reaction do you get? I get a ton just by itself here in the USA, I can't imagine in other countries.

Brad_Milde

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m curious about our over sea Viper owners.

I visited France for a few weeks over the past couple of summers. In many cities I visited--such as Paris, Nice, San Tropez, and Monte Carlo--nice cars are everywhere. Porsches, Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martins, Bentleys, and other high powered exotics are somewhat common to see around. I did see one Viper though parked in front of a hotel in Nice, and it was a fricking gawk-fest. A Viper is definitely one of the biggest, baddest cars you can have because they're so rare over there and inherently cool.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, here in Holland are 6 million cars. I see every day 3 Porsches, in one month about 3 Ferrari's and maybe once a year a Lamborghini. (All driving in the street , not on shows). The past 9 years I've only seen 3 Vipers.
So you can imagine when I'm driving around here, they almost bump on other people, they are in some kind off shock. They point at you, smilling, thumbs up and always want to trade their car for the Viper.(Most people don't know what kind of car it is)

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Put my snake back on the street yesterday - after a LONG, LONG winter!

Went to the gas station - people coming outside and looking.

Drove around and noticed lots of people/drivers looking on the car.

Passed a S600 and three to four other cars in a row - country side road - the S600 passed too and was "glued" to my back for the next 20 miles - I was not in a hurry - ENJOYING to drive the snake again.

Went to a bodyshop to discuss the repair of my front fascia. All the people inside the nearby dealership came out watching the VIPER...etc

The VIPER is a very rare car over here and attracts a lot of attention. :cool:

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've done some extensive travelling around Europe and have only ever came across
a red RT on the road in Monte Carlo, same reaction over here due to the lack of them. Saying that out of the blue today I was at a computer exhibition, and on one the stands was a GTS-R race spec everything carbon fibre, having to find a reason to go back tomorrow with my camera...

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm Belgian but have my snake in the US.
There are several issues to owning a Viper in most European countries :
- taxes : usually based upon engine size. Viper's 8 liter is at the top of the pyramid. A Lambo is cheaper to own...
- gas mileage : gas prices are 4 times higher in Europe
- service : who the hell is going to work on it in case of serious mechanical issues ?

Net, if I were to live in Europe, a Ferrari might be a cheaper option for me...
If you really want to see one over there, Monte Carlo or Marbella might be your best options.
Interestingly, my GF saw one on a recent business trip to Hilversum, Holland (cruising through Oud Loosdrecht). Was that you Heysie ?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just take a visit to the UK; City...Bath, it's a daily occurrence here! But, toddlers to even old grannies eye-ball and still drop their lower jaw in awe of the Viper, that's something special!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In NZ a Viper gets a lot of attention - about the same as a Lambo and about as rare.

The further away from Auckland you go the more of a spectacle it would be - but even in Auckland central where there are AMG Merc's, RS4 Audi's, Porsches wall to wall (you can't fart without facing one), Ferrari (I see one most days that I get out and about during working hours - but you won't see many in rush hour), Jag supercharged V8's etc etc. Even the Aston - of which several drive around - don't turn heads like a Viper (the Aston looks too close to a Jag and Jags are common here).

If you want attention - the Viper is it. Only the Lambo matches it - for a lot more money!

I know of about 6 Vipers here - I'm sure there are more.... but its rare to see one on the road... sadly! Up until last year - we could hire a GTS! Yeah - it was $350NZ for an hour, or around $2000 for 24 hours if I recall - I was going to hire it when the guy folded.... bummer. He had a Lambo Diablo too a 580bhp purple open top - at $580/hour. When I saw his hire fleet (Ferrari 360 Spyder etc) - I thought to myself - "self - if he's borrowed money to buy those babies - he's history" ....I guess he did... shame, it was a good idea - but there's too few of us here to make it work. Only 3.8m in whole nation - 1m of which lives in one city - Auckland.

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interestingly, my GF saw one on a recent business trip to Hilversum, Holland (cruising through Oud Loosdrecht). Was that you Heysie ?

If it was some months ago it could have been me...

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It was in September last year.
She mentioned a red Gen I with a 'Viper Club' sticker (sun deflector ?) on the front window.

ViperDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Owning a 99 Camaro, 02 C5 Corvette and now a Blue/White 97 Viper GTS (3 weeks now), all of which are pretty rare sights in the UK you get the following reactions.

Camaro - You sometimes get people looking, or you come back to the parking lot and find someone staring at the back trying to figure out what it is.

Corvette - Some will notice as it drives past and unscrew their heads as it speeds by.

Viper - Well I was not prepared for EVERYONE grazing their chin on the pavement as their jaw drops :eek: , or all the thumbs up I get. First time I stopped to fill up with gas I had a guy ask if he could take a photo of the car. I now wonder how long it will be before I am posting on the “Anyone Think That Their Viper May Have Caused An Accident?” thread.