Im def pissed !

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received my new 19 inch purner rims from JOHN B... after relocating the E-Brake w terrible directions BTW... I found that the rims DO NOT FIT the rear !! They hit the caliper. I call Mr. Purner (John B is at a fighter Jet race)... Mr. Purner sends me a 3/16 spacer.. Last night i tried to fit again... Still rims are way too close (almost touching the caliper)...So, I called Purner again..Now we are going to try a 5/16 spacer...The concern now being, running out of wheel stud ! Has anyone had this prob? I can't be the first one with aftermarket rims.. (John Purner has been a pleasure to deal with ! ) Regards John

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally would NEVER use wheel spacers on a high performance vehicle.
I went with the 20 inch HRE rear wheels to specifically avoid this problem.
You have another option. Others who went with the 19 inch wheels have ground or milled clearance on the e-brackets.
Good luck.

womsterr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terrible. Do not accept spacers in lieu of properly backspaced wheels. Its a "patch"

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I personally would NEVER use wheel spacers on a high performance vehicle.
I went with the 20 inch HRE rear wheels to specifically avoid this problem.
You have another option. Others who went with the 19 inch wheels have ground or milled clearance on the e-brackets.
Good luck.

Brian, thx for your pics of the HREs, they really look fantastic. Do you mind telling the cost?

KL

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Calm down, I had to do the same thing with my HRE’s. I used (2) .06 spacers on each side. You don’t need a mile of clearance; I probable have about .10”. you are most likely coming very close if not hitting the tubing. You can very easily (gently) bend the tubing back a tad for even more clearance.

I have put some hard driving (track driving) on them and have had no problems. There is plenty of stud and threads so don’t worry about that.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Ken.
I bought my HRE wheels from Dean Loucks who owns the ART Of Design.
He is a new HRE distributor. Give him a call at 574-532-1495.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Calm down, I had to do the same thing with my HRE’s. I used (2) .06 spacers on each side. You don’t need a mile of clearance; I probable have about .10”. you are most likely coming very close if not hitting the tubing. You can very easily (gently) bend the tubing back a tad for even more clearance.

I have put some hard driving (track driving) on them and have had no problems. There is plenty of stud and threads so don’t worry about that.

ViperGMC, in the original post prevnine11owner states he is now forced to use .312 inch thick spacers. This is unacceptable in my opinion, but again this is just MY opinion. As a general rule of thumb, you want a minimum of one and a half times the stud diameter to be engaged in the lug nut. If prevnine11owner is forced to use the spacers, I would check to see that his studs meet this requirement. He might be forced to use an extended lenght stud if they dont. :2tu:

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You make a good point. What we don’t know is what prevnine11 means by “way too close”. I re-checked my clearance and it’s about .08”, but if I wanted .25 clearance, I would need to use a 5/16 spacer. So the comfort level on clearance is the issue I was addressing. I had plenty of thread engagement, so I was not concerned, but I did not measure out another 3/16. How much do these wheels flex under load? I am fine with .08” and I have completion rubber and have put a lot of lateral load on them with no interference. Please don’t make me get out my machinist handbook and start calculating thread engagement and rim flex. I think I was out hot-rodding up my Dodge Duster on that day in engineering school when we covered those subjects anyway.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Back a few hours from F-16 vs. Viper !

1) Despite the fact we sent 4 SRT-10 sensors, the order was produced as a GTS.

2) CCW-Purner provided (no-cost-next-day) spacers as an interim "driver".

3) New wheels will be provided as soon as the 2 new sensors arrive.

4) All the shipping is on CCW-Purner for the honest-inadvertant error. I'll add our apology for the inconvenience. Their invoice did not state the YEAR...and THE YEAR MATTERS !

6) I guess I dont understand the 'attitude' some show toward 101% supportive vendors.

7) P.S. HRE and CCW are totally different products / options. NO ONE will beat PartsRack prices on HRE Wheels. No One. CCW prices always competitive.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, I get it now. Pruners don't require spacers on the SRT or GTS. You just received the wrong wheels (GTS wheels) sent to you by mistake, and the spacers were provided to you as a temporary fix so you can drive your car until you receive the correct wheels (SRT wheels). You've got to admit that providing you with a means (or at least an attempted means) to drive around on new “loaner” wheels (that will henceforth be "used") is petty dang accommodating, honest mistake notwithstanding.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote"6) I guess I dont understand the 'attitude' some show toward 101% supportive vendors."

Hi Jon B.
Glad to hear the F16 vs Viper was a good show. I would love to have been there.
Jon I am surprised to see your #6 response. I dont see any posts that were derogatory or that implied anyone wasnt supportive of the VCA vendors. If you thought my posts were, you were wrong. My first and only concern was to make sure prevnine11owner didnt mount a wheel using a 5/16 inch thick spacer that could potentially leave him with less than desired thread engagement in his lug nuts. No one wants to see a wheel come off at speed. I have seen it happen and it isnt pretty. I still stand by my opinion that a properly spaced wheel made for a specific application shouldnt require wheel spacers. Again just my opinion.
I also dont think there is any one here who would challenge the fact that you are a valuable asset to the Viper community. :2tu:

OP
OP
P

prevnine11ownr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI ! I have not heard from ANYONE regarding " a replacement set" of rims.... all i have rec'd are wheel spacers ! The 5/16 spacers work....but I would like more stud. I only can get about 7 turns on the lugs. Maybe 7 is enuff? I dunno? I do insurance, not wheels.

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I think the thread size for the lug nuts are metric, 12x1.5, I am just taking a guess.
7 turns of the lug nuts is 10.5 mm of engagement. (.413 of an inch ) I would think that you would want .708 of an inch minimum engagement. If you eliminate the 5/16 spacers that gives you .725 of thread engagement. Make some calls to people who are more knowledgable than I and ask if you are safe running those wheel spacers untill your replacement wheels arrive.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an FYI ! I have not heard from ANYONE regarding " a replacement set" of rims.... all i have rec'd are wheel spacers ! The 5/16 spacers work....but I would like more stud. I only can get about 7 turns on the lugs. Maybe 7 is enuff? I dunno? I do insurance, not wheels.

I guess you only get replacement wheels if you post about it. Maybe you also recieved the wrong wheels. "Custom Wheels" should not require spacers.