I'm too LOUD !! help !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So without getting into the details of the issue that caused this (probably going to be a separate post).

My Car is now 'cat less' and I have a serious concern about going back to cats after my issue, so I now have an extremely loud car.

I have a Corsa 3 inch track Cat back, stock headers and now no cats.

I want to keep the free breathing nature of the exhaust, so I want to keep the corsa track on the car, but also want to add some small mufflers.

I dont think the vortec cones by themselves would help much. But what about the dynomax bullet mufflers? What about a combination of both?

It was kind of funny, I fired my car up in a parking lot, and this woman jumped back about a foot and grabbed her chest, like a gun shot just went off. She realized it was my car and looked at me like I was some crazy out to kill her.. lol.. :rolaugh:

Help quiet the car down... there is no chance of getting me to quiet down.. sorry if you were hoping thats what this post was.. lol :lmao:

Jon

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you keep driving it, your hearing will diminsih like mine. Then you wont even notice how loud it is. Also works good for around the house, if your wife annoys you.lol

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run the same setup with a Paxton, except I have a gen 3. My wife covers her ears when in the car when I go WOT. Won't have it any other way. I am even thinking dumping the Corsa and go straight pipes. Make it quieter no way, just the opposite. I want louder

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep driving it, your hearing will diminsih like mine. Then you wont even notice how loud it is. Also works good for around the house, if your wife annoys you.lol
I worked in engine rooms in the Navy for twenty years and am half deaf anyway, or just learned how to tune the wife out. I hear what I want to :lmao:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast...

I am talking about a gen 3?? !! Notice I posted this in gen 3 forum? Notice my signature?

I started life in viper land with an 02 ACR and thats my photo of it... its historic.. so I'm keeping it.

Still this is about a gen 3, thats tooooo loud... and yes I have the paxton too.

Jon

Ps. Any help by folks that arent deaf?

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast...

I am talking about a gen 3?? !! Notice I posted this in gen 3 forum? Notice my signature?

I started life in viper land with an 02 ACR and thats my photo of it... its historic.. so I'm keeping it.

Still this is about a gen 3, thats tooooo loud... and yes I have the paxton too.

Jon

Ps. Any help by folks that arent deaf?

I'm not deaf, blind maybe :lmao::lmao: give me a break. I just got off the phone on an 1.5 hour job interview.........

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just took a look at a G3 Corsa Track photo, I don't see much room for additional mufflers while keeping the Corsa Track system. Where would you put them?

The smaller the additional mufflers, the less effective they'd be; probably not much hope there.

:drive:

Dustman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

:rolaugh:..:rolaugh:..:lmao:

Sorry, I don't have a solution but THAT was hilarious ! :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A SRT with Paxton and no muffs will even irritate the Harley guys.

Put on a set of headers and the sound will start showing up on California earthquake sismegraphs.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol. Some funny replies.

So yes, I already have corsa 3.0 inch track mufflers on it (which are 2 mufflers per side).

the only additional room I see is RIGHT after the turn out into the side sill. I think there is about 8 inches. Could I put in vortec cones AND dynomax/dynoflow (whatever they are called) bullet mufflers, and that would help REDUCE the sound down to previous CATs installed sound levels?

Anyone added any additional muffling to the corsa track w/o cats, and have a favorable reduction in sound level?

Thanks,

Jon

D

DAMN YANKEE

Simply put, your issue is very common, plenty of guys finally figure out that their loud rigs are a eventually going to cause permanent hearing loss. Everyone that tells you that they have it (loss) and want louder will end up with a desperate case of tinnitus, a depressing and ultimately debilitating permanaet state of not quiet, but awful, constant ringing. For these folks, deafness isn't an absence of sound, it an overwhelming ringing and buzzing. Any, all professional engine/shooters/machinists/equipment operators know....deafness is a disaster.

What to do?

You have some very real choices to make. If its loud, you will loose your hearing. How loud?
Well, my opinion.

1. No cats.....start there, get high flows, preferably the best quality ceramics you can (metal substartes are louder and shriller). Is there a big difference between metal and ceramic in regard to noise...not alot, but enough that you WILL be able to tell the difference. Adding cats will be a huge improvement in getting the crap sound D-O-W-N.

2. Got headers? Yes, well you just doubled your sound levels..for 15-25hp. Nuff said.

3. All the aftermarket bolt in, bolt on mini, spiral, tube mount, cone, etc`. etc. etc. mufflers are all restrictive and poorly thought through. The folks at Corsa (and others) spend huge amounts of time wrestling with the BIG TWO issues....balanceing performance with sound. Corsa does it best in their NON TRACK syste,s. They gave up on sound in the track system because they felt they were loosing too many customers to the wide open competitors. All the other bolt on systems are a deep comprimise. I have yet to see one of those bolt on systems that tune/sound well.

4. Wear plugs at all times. A good set will allow you to listen to music, hear traffic, hear your engine, ghear your passengers. Plugs cut out the background nonsense and let you safely hear what is going on.

The very best sounding system I have ever heard belongs to Steve RT00. It is a great sounding system. I would love to be on the 10th floor of a building as it goes by wide open.....Ride in it all day.night long? Nope.

I run stock headers, stock cats, stock side sills, Corsa cat backs....on a supercharged rig. It sounds great, its more than enough. I've got perfect hearing.

YEs, I know it all personal opinion. You asked for sound (pun) advice, trust me, you just got some.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simply put, your issue is very common, plenty of guys finally figure out that their loud rigs are a eventually going to cause permanent hearing loss. Everyone that tells you that they have it (loss) and want louder will end up with a desperate case of tinnitus, a depressing and ultimately debilitating permanaet state of not quiet, but awful, constant ringing. For these folks, deafness isn't an absence of sound, it an overwhelming ringing and buzzing. Any, all professional engine/shooters/machinists/equipment operators know....deafness is a disaster.

What to do?

You have some very real choices to make. If its loud, you will loose your hearing. How loud?
Well, my opinion.

1. No cats.....start there, get high flows, preferably the best quality ceramics you can (metal substartes are louder and shriller). Is there a big difference between metal and ceramic in regard to noise...not alot, but enough that you WILL be able to tell the difference. Adding cats will be a huge improvement in getting the crap sound D-O-W-N.

2. Got headers? Yes, well you just doubled your sound levels..for 15-25hp. Nuff said.

3. All the aftermarket bolt in, bolt on mini, spiral, tube mount, cone, etc`. etc. etc. mufflers are all restrictive and poorly thought through. The folks at Corsa (and others) spend huge amounts of time wrestling with the BIG TWO issues....balanceing performance with sound. Corsa does it best in their NON TRACK syste,s. They gave up on sound in the track system because they felt they were loosing too many customers to the wide open competitors. All the other bolt on systems are a deep comprimise. I have yet to see one of those bolt on systems that tune/sound well.

4. Wear plugs at all times. A good set will allow you to listen to music, hear traffic, hear your engine, ghear your passengers. Plugs cut out the background nonsense and let you safely hear what is going on.

The very best sounding system I have ever heard belongs to Steve RT00. It is a great sounding system. I would love to be on the 10th floor of a building as it goes by wide open.....Ride in it all day.night long? Nope.

I run stock headers, stock cats, stock side sills, Corsa cat backs....on a supercharged rig. It sounds great, its more than enough. I've got perfect hearing.

YEs, I know it all personal opinion. You asked for sound (pun) advice, trust me, you just got some.

Great technical post as usual.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my opinion might not matter with mine being a gen2 but mine is SC'd,catLESS,muffler delete in back and only a small bullet muffler in the sills from roe. mine is freaking loud when driving normal and just silly when WOT. DLM told me to add a set of burns SS mufflers in place of the cats. i dont know the dimensions but he said they were small and made a decent difference. not cheap but the best quality too.

you must have "some" room in there if ya took out the OEM cats. maybe look and see what the burns look like ?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He had hi-flow cats. As most are finding out, if you drive your car alot and hard, the cats plug up. Then you have a crappy running car with no power. This is probably the 20th post ive seen over last few months of cats plugging up on Gen 3's, some with big mods, some with minor mods. As much as Id like to quiet mine down some, I dont want cats that will just plug up and fail.

D

DAMN YANKEE

OK.....plugged cats....here we go.....anybody. everybody....each and evey one of them.....that has a plugged cat has something else too....an absolutely crappy tune. Why? because the fact is that LAMBDA is LAMDA....and your cats.....a good quality high flow cat can handle LAMBA tunes ( or close to it) for a long long time. I have seen O2 sensors go in ONE hour on some rigs.....I have seen cats go in ONE week....why? Fuel being dumped into them....TUNE IT or LOOSE IT. Track car? No Cats.....Race Car, same thing. Road Viper.....not an issue.

You must be registered for see images

In "Golden Collection of Viper Tricks and Traps" thread....(just use the search function). I wrote the following...

Selecting Exhaust system, Cats and Headers...

Hang out long enough (5 minutes) around here and you will be asked to comment on which cat, cat back, header, muffler, etc. etc. etc. is the right one for you. You've seen 'em, they come in droves. Hey, its a bolt on and it changes something fast that everybody can hear......

Regardless of which brand, what materials, which component to start with, there is one Golden Rule that is so grossly overlooked that it deserves special mention....

If you are going to select your exhaust system or any of its components by the way it SOUNDS...judge it by WHAT IS HEARD FROM THE DRIVER'S SEAT. Do not select your system by how it sounds as it drives by as....you got it...you won't be hearing and living with it from there...unless you left your rig running in San Fran and forgot to pull up the parking break......then..that would be your rig you hear just before it hits the trolley...But, it sounded SO good before the screaming started.

Sound great outside.....best bet is that it will sound grating on the inside......Sound great on the inside....best bet is that YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH IT.....

endchasenorm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No bad tune, Woodhouse installed the SCT DC Performance tune for my setup.

DLM told me to add a set of burns SS mufflers in place of the cats. i dont know the dimensions but he said they were small and made a decent difference. not cheap but the best quality too.

I'll look at those Burns SS mufflers. Possibly add the vortex cones too.

Jon

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Sean Roe and ask him about his high flow cats. I have a set and 100% happy. I doubt he would selll product that underperformed or clogged.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw the title of the thread and thought "wow....he finally gets it" Then I opened the thread and realized you were actually talking about the car. Oh well.

As to your problem and possible fixes....

I've tried the following

Dynomax race bullets in different lengths - did little to muffle the engine

Burns Stainless - beautiful mufflers, same as dynomax for noise reduction, not very robust - these mufflers are intended to be placed at the back of an exhaust system and will not support other exhaust components for very long also the bolts that hold them together are very small and vibrate loose

Magnaflow - muffled good enough but the packing blew out after a while

Roe racing mufflers - muffled quite well and might even suite your needs but I don't see them listed on the roe site any longer....also they may be a bit on the long side for your project ( they look very similar to the dynomax 6" diameter ultra flow mufflers)

Aero turbine - these also muffle quite well. the 3030 would be the one you want to try.

The Roe (if you can get them) and the Aero turbine might work for you but I bet you have to cut most of the piping off them to get them to fit in front of your corsa. It will be a lot of work to get it all to fit in there and not contact the side sill.

I'd say get another set of cats in there. I have Talamos 3" LG motorsports cats(talk to him if you want them) that were on his car for 2 days and I have a set of stock SRT cats that were opened up to 3". Both sets are metal substrate.

your friend,

..!.. ..!..

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Sean Roe and ask him about his high flow cats. I have a set and 100% happy. I doubt he would selll product that underperformed or clogged.

I'm pretty sure Jon had random tech metal substrates.....those are supposed to be the best cats out there right?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used long (30"?) 6"OD Dynomax SS on my cat-less '94 Viper, trying both 2.5" and 3" ID. I think the packing's guaranteed for life. You'd never call it loud, though my car wasn't supercharged. That RT/10 had a nice deep and well muffled tone. If your Corsas are the type with no packing inside-just the RSC technology, you might consider using a muffler with as large an OD and as long a length as you can.

A guy who lives about a mile away makes these mufflers and swears they sound great. Haven't heard them on a car myself.

- If you've got access to a welder and want to experiment I've got an idea that might quiet it down and not restrict power at the same time. Something gleaned from Gordon Jennings' Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook of all places..

:drive:

Last edited:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the moroso spiral flows, one on each side and it takes the harshness out but still sounds good.

Note: no cats for years, and the dynamax bullets barely did much.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Moroso spiral flows would be a great choice and cheap too. If you have the room up front go with the Dynomax Ultraflows. Not sure of the 6" round muffler will fit though.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at a Corsa Track photo, if the in and out tubing shown there is 3", then it looks like their mufflers could be at least 6"OD.

You must be registered for see images

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my GTS/R with a B&B full system and hi flow cats the Vortex Cones seemed to make no difference

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He had hi-flow cats. As most are finding out, if you drive your car alot and hard, the cats plug up. Then you have a crappy running car with no power. This is probably the 20th post ive seen over last few months of cats plugging up on Gen 3's, some with big mods, some with minor mods. As much as Id like to quiet mine down some, I dont want cats that will just plug up and fail.

This is what I'm worried about as I have 2 cats removed. How do you tell when the cats start to go bad?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put your hand behind the tail pipe and feel the pressure. if its less than another viper, you got a problem. DONT ASK HOW I KNOW THIS...lol

a tuner i know doesnt like cats on cars with 700 or more rwhp.