I'm tooooooo slow. Vette's are coming up on me !! HELP !!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m tooooooo slow. Vette\'s are coming up on me !! HELP !!

lol, im with both you guys..

tony you come over and RACE my viper against Buff, I'll let you do it, but im CLAIMING you STOLE it, and I was AT HOME the WHOLE time. cool ?? (j/k)

Rdustman, I KNOW the viper is NOT a drag race car, and I have disrespected it by bringing it there. But I had to do SOMETHING while the winter closed down all the REAL tracks (aka road tracks). I am going to do Viper Days events so maybe I'll let my baby SHINE where she is supposed to.

Take Care.

-Jon

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have some getto trash waiting for you at Pocono. I really am not taking this to serious. I love Vipers and Vette's. Glad to meet your ACR for some friendly competition. :) I now see your other post after your statement. :cool: But the track events is where the car should be. Warranty? Will I be alive next week? No warranty there. Plunge forward. :D

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

One thing that I was thinking is that the Vipers have a real sweet spot between 60 and 150MPH. I haven't felt that in any other car, so far. I've driven a couple Z06s, but nowhere that fast, so I don't know what the top-end pull is like.
But I think that the Viper would win a 60-160MPH pull, mostly because the weight benefit of the Z is not as much of an issue at speed, and the GTS has an extra 100FT TQ available.

One thing is that even though the GTS doesn't have great aerodynamics, they have been run up to 192MPH, whereas the Z06s are aerodynamically limited to around 175MPH stock.

And the new MT test had the new Z06 do the standing mile in [email protected]. Whereas the last GTS tested did it in [email protected].

I don't know about your local areas, but here we don't really have that many good roads or conditions that would support sustained speeds over 140MPH on the local freeways, even late at night.

So it's wise to keep this competition safe, at the track.

I just put in 3.55 gears, and they feel great. Similarly, I had put in 4.09 gears with my last Corvette and 100Shot of N2O and loved the feel. I figured that the 3.55 gears would actually be a nice ratio compromise, even though I'm probably going to add a 150 shot to the Viper. 3.55s still go up to 130MPH or so in 4th, and on street tires I doubt that I will be pushing that, even with the extra power added.

-Dean.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"As an example my 2002 Z06 is bone stock. On ET Streets I have run a 1.69 60' - 11.691 @ 117. Best 60' on the stock radials"

Wow, that's a fast bone stock ZO6.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey

All cars I have had,These are the basics for more power.....
if under warranty
1)intake---k&n with increased diameter than stock inlet
2)exhaust--headers,cats,y-pipe,cat back
3)MAF(+/-.10)
4)O2 sensor
5)suspension--it will help hook up(you don't need drag shocks)
6)LINE-LOCK---MUST HAVE FOR A STICK SHIFTED CAR!!!!!!!!BETTER LAUNCHES!!!!!!
7)mild gears---go with the 3.33's.IT WILL HELP!!you don't need to see a time slip.We would put on 3.73's on our f-body's,b-body's,y-body's,c-body's....won't affect warranty,unless it is the diff/gears.(AFTERMARKET ASSOCIATION has seen to that.)
8)most tuners will give you a warranty,LPE does 2 years/24k miles.The rest of the warranty is still honored by manufacturer.

I forgot.....upgrade ignition(MSD),plug wires,get good set of plugs,you overgap
them. :eek:

If you upgrade your rear,with 3.55's++,have your 5th and 6th gears changed :rolleyes:
Also a good shifter :p

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey what about you guys out there that have installed aluminum flywheels. That seems to be a relatively low dollar upgrade. Has it helped with performance? Quicker ET's? You save in weight, doe's it rev faster? Thanks

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
clutch

Clutch,pressure plate,and flywheel spin in circle(creating centrifugal force).
Lighter aluminum flywheel will have less weight,less force,easier to engage/disengage.
I've never only done a flywheel,would not really recommend it.
Would recommend aluminum flywheel with new(aftermarket)clutch and pressure plate.(Aftermarket throwout bearing depending on application).
:smirk:
Won't rev higher.
Performance benefit is based on above factors,better shifts,add shifter for better performance.
Performance benefit based on driver.(i.e.-get alot of practice shifting)
;)

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: clutch

Thanks gthomas,
I've seen the flywheel in some catalogs but wasn't sure the advantages. Would the lighter weight allow the motor to rev quicker in the same way a smaller torq converter on an automatic lets it rev quicker?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Think of the flywheel,steel circle.Now an aluminum flywheel,will have the same mass(area),though less weight.Yes,spins quicker.Same mass,less weight,see the advantage? :)

Gotta say, your leaving out the important part.. MASS in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by another force. In short, the steel flywheel DOES take more energy to get MOVING,but once its moving, it takes MORE energy to stop it from moving (dumping the clutch at 2.5k at the track). AKA, CHECK 60 FOOT TIMES from a steel flywheel viper VS an aluminum flywheel viper. I have MONEY on the Steel one having better times. and its going to be HARD for that Aluminum flywheel to make up for it down the 1/4 mile. Where the ALUMINUM flywheel DOES pay dividens is in ROAD course, or HIGHWAY roll racing. But NOT drag racing.. not STOP LIGHT TO STOP LIGHT. Unless those stop lights are 1/2 a mile apart. You can MAKE UP for the aluminum flywheel at the track BY adding GEAR to the diff, like a 3.33 or a 3.54, but stock 3.07 is NO friend to the alumium flywheel at the drag strip. (I drag against a FELLOW viper owner with aluminum flywheel, this is NOT hearsay).

-Jon

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well,when opining,keep it pithy.
As noted above,I've never just done a flywheel.It has been done as a complete package(flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,throwout bearings,and shifter).With those alone,I have noticed a difference.
So what does a flywheel do?It stores energy to dampen compression and power pulses.The less mass,the less stored energy.
The lighter fywheels will allow the engine to rev quicker,and improve throttle response across the band.
However,when cold,it will be more prone to dieing at idle(until you've warmed it up)because it will affect idle characteristics,and yes,it will affect ONLY low speed drivability.Once you dump the clutch racing......it's all good. :D
When you by an aftermarket aluminum flywheel,it has been developed to ensure it is not too light.And if it didn't help,it wouldn't be such a popular upgrade.The benefits far outway the minor drawbacks.
Steel(20+lbs)vs aluminum(9-10lbs).That's like taking off over 200lbs in weight in 1st gear,about 70 in second.
EQUIVALENT WEIGHT=0.5x(flywheel weight)x[(flywheel radius x gear ratio x final drive ratio)/(tire radius])above 2(that's squared)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well,when opining,keep it pithy.
As noted above,I've never just done a flywheel.It has been done as a complete package(flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,throwout bearings,and shifter).With those alone,I have noticed a difference.
So what does a flywheel do?It stores energy to dampen compression and power pulses.The less mass,the less stored energy.
The lighter fywheels will allow the engine to rev quicker,and improve throttle response across the band.
However,when cold,it will be more prone to dieing at idle(until you've warmed it up)because it will affect idle characteristics,and yes,it will affect ONLY low speed drivability.Once you dump the clutch racing......it's all good. :D
When you by an aftermarket aluminum flywheel,it has been developed to ensure it is not too light.And if it didn't help,it wouldn't be such a popular upgrade.The benefits far outway the minor drawbacks.
Steel(20+lbs)vs aluminum(9-10lbs).That's like taking off over 200lbs in weight in 1st gear,about 70 in second.
EQUIVALENT WEIGHT=0.5x(flywheel weight)x[(flywheel radius x gear ratio x final drive ratio)/(tire radius])above 2(that's squared)

Dont take this the wrong way, but I'll see you at the track with your aluminum flywheel, while I'll be sluggisly spinning around my steal one :D Over 200+ passes on the track in a steal flywheel and a buddy doing both with steal and aluminum, and even HE says steal is the way to go at the track, UNLESS you have a 3.55 gear or HIGHER !! Road track loves aluminum, Drag loves steal (unless you gear it and you can use aluminum at the drag).

-Jon