I'm tooooooo slow. Vette's are coming up on me !! HELP !!

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m tooooooo slow. Vette\'s are coming up on me !! HELP !!

I like a man who is big enough to admit his mistakes, Thank You, apology accepted :)

vetterdstr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep, the Vettes are coming. Some of us have built them to actually pass you guys up. Its all in good fun though. :D

vetterdstr

robiferretti

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So all said and done what has this thread accomplished...if you want to play a big boys game you have to spend and not worry about your warranty, otherwise stay stock...there is no miracle mod, you have to step up to the plate, or stay stock as you are, these guys have given you great advice as to the power adders to do and you don't want any or them, if $ is a factor, just sit on the car for a few months and enjoy it as is...I still don't understand the having to be the fastest around...be happy your in the class your in... Cheers!

-Rob

vetterdstr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rob, great "Jerry Springer" final word there... :D

vetterdstr :usa:

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol, thanks guys. Its not about the money, its about the warranty. I just love the IDEA of free Tranny's and free Diff's if I break them. Heaven forbid, engine. I also VERY much respect how you guys were accepting of my apology for my mistake. Thanks guys. You guys are Class act all the way.

PS. I have NO Clue as to why I have to go fast... is it some kind of legalized drug they put in cars that no one is me telling about ??

:)

:)

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very classy reply on your part.

As for the speed thing, yes. Speed is an addicitive drug so is modding your car. You can perhaps put your self in a 12 step program to get over it, or accept it and live with it... :D

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

You seem to have some experience at the track. What is your drag setup as far as air pressure and what have you found to be the best way to launch the car?

Thanks
John

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey J Smith,

Actually, I learned from another Viper guy who is going faster. (he has done more work to his car). I took a LOT of his advice and my times got better. First, you can get a LITTLE better traction by dropping down to low 20's psi. I did like 22 one time, and showed better times than my previous week with stock tire pressure. However, again, I constrain myself with silly rules, and I decided I needed to drag with the SAME tire pressure as I drive on the street. Next thing, is I am not a huge fan of CLUTCH dumps, BUT it works. I wont do it, but I WILL bring the RPMS up to 2200-2400 and release the clutch as I would if I was at a stop light about to "launch". BUT if I didnt care about clutch and shock to drive train, doing true clutch dumps will unload the power much quicker, perhaps resulting in a better ET and 60 foot. I would recommend trying clutch dumps at lower RPMs like 2200,2400,2500, anything more then that, and I have a STRONG sneaking suspicion you will SPIN instead of launch. Also, something I have noticed, sitting and letting my car COOL off for 30 minutes DOES NOT help my times. I seem to be extremely consistent, one run right behind another. It gives me quicker time to "try" something new and LESS time for ME to cool off. Final words of wisdom.. the ones that ACTUALLY helped my times. Short shift.. just a little bit. Short shift 1st and 2nd gear, do NOT go to 6k in these gears. TRY 5300, 5500 then 5700, but MAX I would go to is 5800 in 1st and 2nd. (5300 is probably TOO short, but you have to FEEL the difference and see the CHANGE, so start by OVER doing the short shift). It will be funny how you will see an increase in mph, and decrease in ET, over something this simple. ITs all about the 60 foot, once you nail that, the rest is childs play.

-Jon

Wide Open Throttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just live with the speed addiction, cause fighting it is a waste of time. It always wins in the end. It's like crack.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jon for the tips.

Let us know how the gears go.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm not convinced I will do gears yet. It definitely sounds like a good idea. I am waiting on the guys from unitrax to get back to me. I also had a talk with a fellow viper owner who I think is a pretty knowledgeable guy at the local auto fair this Sunday, and I don't think the pulley system is worth the effort or the cost, especially when you consider that I will do Roe SC when Warranty is up. He also says the best system is the one where all the pulleys are changed, NOT just the crank pulley. So I am going to avoid the quick and dirty "crank pulley only" swap. I like to do a lot of research before just jumping into a mod. The 3.33 jury is still out, for what it does on 1/4 mile times. It would be nice if someone did JUST that swap and can say what their improvement was, IF any.

-Jon

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yeah, but thats 3.45's and that IS more gear. Thats what I am saying, not a lot of research on the 3.33's. I know of the 3.45's and the 3.54's. I think both are too much gear for the mods I have planned. Someone needs the before and after times for the 3.33's !! :)

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

S/C the car and if it breaks, take it off and take it to Tommy boy. No probs with the warranty. He's installing one on a NC car soon, or maybe as we type.

OR

Call Heffner. He currently has head/cam or just head price/performance that cannot be beat around our parts, plus he is a huge 1/4 miler with alot of experience squeezing all the performance outta our cars. I remember a thread where he posted head/cam/T&D's for 4K or so. You have the T&D's so I dont know what the cost would be. He quotes well over 500 RWHP and I think closer to 540! I am really torn with going this route or S/C. I think the head/cam would be better for roadracing longterm, but the jury is out since not alot of S/C's have seen much roadcourse time let alone a full summer season.

Again, with our Viper techs, warranty wouldnt be an issue. Especially if you just ported the head and didnt go with the lump lump lump....

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

I think my EASIEST fix for going faster is the 3.33 gear. Because I AM going to be doing the Roe SC. AFTER my warranty is up. I figure doing MORE gear then that would be a WASTE combined with the ROE.

-Jon

Jon, Note the E.T. in my sig. Roe s/c and 3.55 gears. Any faster and a 5th gear shift will be needed.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey Tony, that's a great time. But are people going FASTER with roughly the SAME set up, but with the 3.33 gear ?? I mean, what if you could ACTUALLY be faster with a 3.33 or 3.45, or 3.07 ?? Any research on that ?? I don't guess you have your STOCK box, to bolt back in for my inquisitive mind do you ?? Heck I'd come help bolt it in, since you live right in GA.

BUFF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey guys. Hate to make this my first post. But I am the Vette guy that has been coming after Jon. Me and Jon was making similiar numbers at the track(12.0s) during the winter, then I went ahead and got me the Cartek X package. While babying it for a few weekends, Jon got his viper in the 11 sec club.

Well, I finally taken it to the track and only got the car to do a 12.02@ 119 on street tires. It was very unfortunate to get some warm weather on that day rather than some of that low 50 degree weather during the winter. Oh, well.. But I am like Jon on this one, yea I could do some way better times on some ET streets, but I just like to do the real world scenarios.. What it would really do on the street for instance.

Some of guys already know about the Cartek X package and have seen there cars get into the 10.90s on ET streets with 4.10 gears. I didn't go the gear route because I didn't want it to drive any different. That is why I am thinking I am not getting better numbers than I should have. I am thinking I just have too much power up top and not in the midrange where I need it.

To finish this all of. Me and Jon has been smacktalking a lot lately on the local car forums. So let me get y'all opinion on this, because Jon says I don't have a chance and a waste of his time if we ever battled it on the street. However Jon says he never street races so we will never know...

My car is 3100 lbs and equipped with 442rwhp/403 torque verses his viper at 3400 lbs and 460rwhp/??? torque. So who would you think would win from a 60mph roll to 140mph and why...... Much appreciated.......

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would say he still would.. You won't be at the track and E.T. won't mean diddly squat.. If your car mph's at 119 and a STOCK viper will mph at 118-120 and with his mods maybe 123 mph?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

As long as "Buff" stays civilized, I am more then willing to hear Folks input on this. I am not sure why he doesn't think he knows my torque numbers, they SHOW on every POST I make here. lol !! Read my signature Shannon you will find all the INFORMATION your guessing at.

Also Shannon aka "buff" we have weighed Scotts Z06 its 3130 and my viper is 3460, they were OFFICIALLY weighed at a WEIGHT station, and we have "certified" cards to prove our weight. Just relevant data, not hype or guessing. Both cars weighed with COMPLETELY full gas tanks.

My MPH is also stated, shannons is 119, and mine is 121.85

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buff, Welcome aboard. Many many former or current Vette owners on this board. When you asked your question about who would win from a roll I already knew my answer. But I didn't know which car yet. That is when I started looking at the mph for each car. If he has you by 2.5 mph and is also quicker in the 1/4 I believe Jon will pull you from a roll assuming both cars are driven properly. I think from a roll the mph preveals in most cases. If you were slower in the 1/4 but had more mph then I would have had to study more but mph rules on the street roll. I can see why Jon doesn't want better tires.....it wouldn't be even racing then. NOW.......Buff was there on a hot day....was Jon there and was the mph spread still 2.5 ? If Jon didn't prove his time that hot day for a comparison then the mph could be a little closer and that means it might come down to the driver and the jump. It could come down to driver and jump anyway. ET's and mph are not 100% in stret racing....anything can happen. In dead stop street racing mph and et is out the window. I don't think Jon should be saying it was a waste of his time ESPECIALLY if he will not back it up (sorry Jon) Not saying he should back it up on the street, each to his own and that's a good decision (better than I would make) just don't make claims you won't (not can't) backup. Jon, I dont know of many 1/4 mile times for Roe chargers. There was some low 10.60's (I think) at VOI by a car like mine plus rockers. I will have to check the gearing. You guys need to check out http://www.streetracingforum.com/ and have him do a forum for your area. My area is Chattanooga. He will do a forum for any area, lots of smack goes on there.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Tony,

I am NOT looking to race on the street, and I say that Shannon is NOT competition, if for FOUR months we have been racing at the track, and I have ALWAYS been faster. Any given day. On a REALLY bad day, that he is NOT talking about which was 2 weeks ago, he got a 12.50 and I got a 12.02. So YES, I do consistently beat him, on ANY type of day. This whole STREET race thing is NOT what I am saying he is not competition on, because I DON'T STREET race, HE came up with this NEW race because I dominate him at the track. I think he knows I do not street race, so he can CLAIM victory now because I wont. I guess that's like saying, LETS PLAY RUSSIAN Roulette, and ONLY if you pull the trigger do you have balls. Well I think the 1/4 proves my balls, I am always there to defend what I have consistently been doing.. which is getting into the 11.70's or whatever my PREVIOUS record was for that "time frame". He wants to know the answer to STREET racing now, because its "all" he has left.

Its funny how the competition must CHANGE the situation in order to TRY to GET a victory. And IF I was stupid enough to street race, I don't really believe he WOULD win. But again, here nor there, I don't street race. Of COURSE a certain friend of mine who OWNS a viper and DOES street race is ALLLLL about racing SHANNON for money. But Shannon is NOW backing down from THAT, because he KNOWS this guy will. Shannon is TRYING to monopolize on my intelligent decision to NOT street race. Sad…

-Jon

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Calm down Jon :) From the times and mph it looks like you would win on his 60 to 140 race. I think everyone will agree to that. Well, maybe not Buff. You just can't say much if you aren't willing to prove it (not that you ARE saying anything at all). DON'T TAKE THAT THE WRONG WAY. You are doing the smart and right thing. I am stupid and would make him eat his words (or not). You say you don't street race and that's it....case closed, he can think whatever he wants to. You can't help what he thinks. Anything can happen in a street race but if you went to the track today and ran a 11.70 and he went 12.00 today with 2.5 mph difference then he would really have a tough time keeping up. Dead stop on the street and anything can happen, 3/10th's is nothing. Personally if someone wants to do a dead stop then the strip it is.....a roll and I will play on the street. I admire you for not taking the risk. breath deeeep.....breath deeeeep :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

lol, thanks Tony. Your right, in the end what does it REALLY prove ?? I get sooo worked up sometimes, and I LOVE to compete.. man its in my blood. But I like to do it intelligently, and well.... some people don't. In the end, does it really matter ?? Racing doesn't pay my bills yet, when it does, then I will start worrying... lol.

Thanks for the insight Tony.

-Jon

PS. I am BREATHING INNNN.... BREATHING ... OUT.. lol.. :)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just being devils advocate....What about a race from 80-160....Would the Snake still be the victor or would they be even or would the Z pull slightly because of better aerodynamics??? It seems like only an 18hp advantage for the Viper and the Vette is over 200lbs lighter and more aerodynamic....Or does the Snakes huge tq advantage over the Z negate the Vettes advantages???

Ive never had the experience to see Viper vs Vette on the highway yet so Im curious.....

BUFF

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Tony. It is a pleasure to be on the board with a great bunch of euthasists. Hope to talk to you more in the future...

I am not trying to add anymore fuel to the fire, but I got to say what is the truth. I don't understand why Jon got to misconstrue the facts to make his car the dominant car. Let me say right now that I think his car is bad [******] and would most likely beat me in this race, but I am just curious to know. I am a big competitor also.

The day we race a couple of weeks ago. yes, i did get a 12.50 and he got a 12.0#. But if I remember it right, you redlighted that run. In turn reacting to your great jump, i nailed the gas too much and spined the first 30 feet or so. Again, I think your best that day was a very low 12 at 119-120. i don't remember. I think my best was like a 12.1-12.2 at 118. At last and not least, that was my VERY first day out with the car.

Giggle.Giggle. Oh another thing. If I remember right, the first or second time i met you at the track. I ran you when I was practically stock and beat you. That was the day you were saying the vettes were whooping up on you that day.

Guys, please don't look at the track numbers right now because they don't really mean too much right now. I think by looking at power-to-weight ratios we give you the best answer regarding the race..

Jon, no hard feelings dude. I really mean that. I am not going to mention about street racing you again. I was just very curious in seeing what our great cars would do. I see a lot of videos on the net and most of them were very good battles. Peace

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Shannon (aka Buff),

Yeah, our silly argument is just that, silly. Both cars are great. If you want to win anything, say "power per dollar baby !!", and you got my Ars. lol, admittedly I don't remember you beating me my second day draggin (and I have one of the best memories of anyone I know), but I COMPLETELY remember red lighting with your 12.50 and my 12.02. So officially you won. But our real ******* contest has been over which car is faster/badder. I have my BEST reaction time posted on this board and it was a .509, However, I am never consistent. I bounce between .4xx (aka red-light) and .7xx (very slow reaction). You probably got me beat in consistency. And if your able to actually REACT to my .4548 red light, with your .5700 reaction that forced you to spin your tires, then that's amazing reaction skill. I'm such a newbie, I just watch the tree. lol. Anyway, Scott's got some stuff in the works that he is claiming he is going to PROBABLY beat us both. And that's a Z06 as you well know. Take care, see ya at the track.

-Jon

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will fly over and Race Buff on the street with Jon's car.....problem solved !!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will fly over and Race Buff on the street with Jon's car.....problem solved !!

C'mon Tony. Just drive your beast over there and take care of business once and for all. :laugh:

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

based upon what youve listed in your post, you have few options left. i suggest taking your bucket to the road course where its meant to be and let it shine like a star. 1/4 mile is not viper property, its ten thousand doller fbody 9 second sled territory. only way you will keep up is by droppin a buttload of cash and even then; all itll take is some little old vega with some good engine work and a big old bottle of NOS to slap ya one. im with ya, it saddens me as well. but hey, on the road, in the parking lots and car shows and on the road courses; vipers are king