Impact bubble on my rear tire, advise please!!

mp3plc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
I bought my SRT-10 no long ago, with 2500 miles on it :2tu: .

Now, one of the rear tires Michelin ZP has an impact bubble on the outer side :mad: . I would like if you guys can give me some advice about it...
Do you think the tire will explode at high speeds? how much time do I have to replace it before is too late?

thank you in advance

Mg.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An impact bubble? I'll be briefly stupid... Is that from something that hit the tire? Or is there some jargon I'm not aware of and it means something else? Because, if that is just a plain old defect, show up at a tire dealer and say we have a problem here Houston. Stand firm, and demand a free (or at least prorated) replacement.

OP
OP
M

mp3plc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thank you for the reply guys....

what the tire has is like a tennis ball coming out of the side wall of the rear tire. It wasn´t like that before but once I started to drive the car, this bump came to life.

Has anyone had this issue before? did michelin replace the tire for free??

I am asking to have some ideas before going to the michelin dealer.:drive:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Briefly???:dunno:

Yup, just brief moments of stupidity. Yourself?!?

thank you for the reply guys....

what the tire has is like a tennis ball coming out of the side wall of the rear tire. It wasn´t like that before but once I started to drive the car, this bump came to life.

Has anyone had this issue before? did michelin replace the tire for free??

I am asking to have some ideas before going to the michelin dealer.:drive:

That tire has a manufacturing defect. Michelin should replace that for FREE. If they balk, ask for the number to their corporate office. Ask how much product liability insurance they have. Tell them you can't afford to replace it, and really must drive on it. The PUBLIC forum that everyone has heard about it on says the manufacturer should replace it or the liability to them could be disastrous. I could go on. Starting to get some ideas?!? Good luck.

BTW, if you lived close, I'd dress up real sharp, walk in with you, but just stand inside the door and act like I'm listening. Kind of creepy...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deal directly with the place you bought it from.

My experience with Tirerack, Jon B and Michelin for standing up to the warranty has been very good.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thank you all for the advices.
I guess that you work for tirerack... do you know if Michelin will replace this tire free of charge??

thanks

Michelin give away a tire :lmao: not likely ... not a warranty issue and even if it was you wouldn't qualify for warranty coverage since you did not buy the tire ... you bought the car ...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin give away a tire :lmao: not likely ... not a warranty issue and even if it was you wouldn't qualify for warranty coverage since you did not buy the tire ... you bought the car ...

OK Luke... You sell the things and I give you respect for that. But a sidewall blister is a manufacturing defect. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. And I'd put my money on a company like Michelin replacing a tire with a manufacturing defect. Correct me again if needed.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the tire under warranty? Should not matter who bought it (warranty transferable).

If not then I think you are stuck with it. If under warranty coverage will depend on the warranty provided and if the "defect" resulted from damage or a defect. Some warranties include road hazard. So the bottom line is is it under warranty? If so take it to the warranty provider.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the tire under warranty? Should not matter who bought it (warranty transferable).

If not then I think you are stuck with it. If under warranty coverage will depend on the warranty provided and if the "defect" resulted from damage or a defect. Some warranties include road hazard. So the bottom line is is it under warranty? If so take it to the warranty provider.

Might be a play on words, :bonker: but I'm still sticking with a description of manufacturing defect. Said manufacturing defect being irregardless of mileage to 2/32", and irregardless of how many owners.

So, that said, here it is straight from their web site:

What’s covered

All Michelin® tires have a limited warranty, which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first.

http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-US/pdf/tires/michelin-2007-limited-warranty.pdf

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.) tire warranties are not transferable and only can be redeemed by the original purchaser

2.) a sidewall blister is not a defect it's impact damage and considered a road hazard ... if you ran into a tree is the bumper defective?

3.) look on page three at the list of exclusions which includes road hazard issues and that you must be the original purchaser ... it's all right there ... http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-US/pdf/tires/michelin-2007-limited-warranty.pdf

not trying to be a thorn in the foot of the OP just stating the facts based on what has been posted

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tire with bubble was replaced under warranty. There was no impact but rather a defect. How about helping him out by getting him a discount on a replacement tire?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21