Impact on RT Factory Spoiler on Value

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that a spoiler will make it more desirable. That being said, I may add one to my RT/10 in the future...it's further down my mod list. I'll make that decision when it pops to the top.

When I was shopping, I was more interested in a mostly stock viper (bolt on mods like headers/exhaust were okay by me). My reasoning was that I didn't want someone elses problem viper. The more mods, especially engine upgrades, the more that I expected there to be problems...this may be unrealistic, but that's how I felt. It seems to me that even a good viper tech has a better chance of finding issues on a stock viper. Once it has been worked on...superchargers, twin turbos, ported heads, CNC parts, etc...I doubt that even viper techs can find everything that might be wrong.

A spoiler wouldn't have changed my mind either way. You should add one if you like them :2tu:.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents: Spoiler makes the RT10 rear end look much better, it is Crysler not aftermarket and adds something to the value of the car, not many RT10's have them (reatively speaking)which makes it more unique,and lastly, when, not if, you drive the car at speed it will aid traction and stability. A win - win situation.:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify my question, I was curious if (in everyone's opinion) adding a spoiler would hurt the value of the car, being a stock body low mileage clean car. I did not buy it to sell, nor will I sell the car at some point to buy a GTS.

It was only a question, to get perspective from other members who know more than me. It just helps when making the decision and, at this point, I am kind of undecided.

I'm not selling my car.......:nono:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wouldn't mind, could you post pictures of the back of your RT's with and without spoilers (whichever you have), as it will help me make the decision as to what to finally do.

Thanks much.:2tu:

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of the back end of my RT:

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!:headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, just to clarify my question, I was curious if (in everyone's opinion) adding a spoiler would hurt the value of the car, being a stock body low mileage clean car. I did not buy it to sell, nor will I sell the car at some point to buy a GTS.

It was only a question, to get perspective from other members who know more than me. It just helps when making the decision and, at this point, I am kind of undecided.

I'm not selling my car.......:nono:

then it does not matter, do it.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, okay....I'm not going to continue this thread. Guess I'll decide on what I want more, performance mods or the wing. Eventually (hopefully) I would be able to do both.

Thanks to all (and, oh, you too Tony!:D

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all (and, oh, you too Tony!:D

:D If you haven't seen Chucks spoiler, check it out and it's on a slow Red Viper. :D

Call JonB at Partsrack to get a quote on the spoiler. Order it and do it.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhhhh, thanks Tony...I followed Chuck up to the Saratoga Springs show a few weeks ago. Yup, pretty familiar with it...main reason I started thinking about it again.

Is your car running yet? Though, on a yellow car, goes just as fast when not running as when it is, that's why you follow red ones...to use the draft to pull you along! Looks good, especially down hill:rolaugh::lmao:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car running yet? Though, on a yellow car, goes just as fast when not running as when it is, that's why you follow red ones...to use the draft to pull you along! Looks good, especially down hill:rolaugh::lmao:

Touche! LOL. :rolaugh: Nope, it's not back together yet. Apparently the owner is as slow as the yellow Viper. :) My cam is not degreeing in properly so I need to get a couple of things done before buttoning it up. Hopefully next week. But I am adding Red radiator hoses...i'm hoping to pick up a few more HP with them.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just to clarify a bit further:

"Factory Spoiler" is a misnomer, because NO Gen 1 Viper was ever installed at the factory with a deck spoiler. And it was never a factory option. This part has always been a dealer-added "MoPar Accessory" item. Found in MoPar accessory cataloges/accessory pages. The old cataloge reads "Designed by Chrysler to complement Viper's good looks.....wind tunnel and race track tested......."

Would I stick one on a pristine original '92? Nope. But it sure makes the RT look a lot less like a Miata.

PS: There is a wedge-shaped deck spoiler option that is "No Drill" thru the paint.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Miata???? Ouch, that hurts, Jon!:crying: But then, its red, so its faster than the other Miatas....:D

I've seen both spoilers and I prefer the one called "factory spoiler". I'm not concerned about drilling through the trunk, as once I make the decision, I'm committed to it. I do like the one on Chuck's RT, which is the one we're talking about.

Thanks for the "factory misnomer" information. Good to know, but I assumed that this is the spoiler that the RT racing teams used on their cars like the (only one I know of) Rent-A-Car Systeme out of France or Belguim. But, I just checked my harddrive and I stand corrected:

Does it come painted or gelcoat paint ready?

When I'm ready, I'll call you to discuss pricing. By the way, do you have a xerox or scan of that accessories catalog that shows the spoiler?

Thanks much.:headbang:

Peter

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just grab the drill and let's get this party started already:rolaugh: It's pretty split on who likes it and who doesn't so don't worry about resale. Just my 2 cents... Some cars have spoilers that integrate nicely and some look like...well some look like a mustache on a Mona Lisa...

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I saw Mona today and that's quite a stache she's got there!:lmao:

Its a good point though!

Its pretty much split on the subject, so now I just have to make the final decision as to what I want to do.

Thanks to everyone!:2tu:

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with the price of the spoiler. I think I have a rough idea, but want to know for sure.

Thanks.

By the way, how are you feeling these days?

Peter

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, didn't you recently put a spoiler on your "bumble bee" RT?

Thanks.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me with the price of the spoiler. I think I have a rough idea, but want to know for sure. Thanks.
By the way, how are you feeling these days? Peter

TONY thanks for the referral.... we do have CF or plastic in stock. Peter, sorry for the late PM. Thanks for asking. On the date of your post I was FINALLY driving my Viper on track again. Left arm is now at 30-35% of right side. 16pc of Titanium and stainless = call me the tin-man.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like them. In fact, I think they look awful. And as for 150mph driving I've been over that number in my RT/10 more times than I can count and never had a worry about stability. I think when you're over that number it's just plain scary no matter what you're driving.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like them. In fact, I think they look awful. And as for 150mph driving I've been over that number in my RT/10 more times than I can count and never had a worry about stability. I think when you're over that number it's just plain scary no matter what you're driving.[/quote]

Chuck, I'm surprised at this answer from you.:dunno: There is a huge difference in stability at 140+ speeds in a RT with a spoiler and without.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't like them. In fact, I think they look awful. And as for 150mph driving I've been over that number in my RT/10 more times than I can count and never had a worry about stability. I think when you're over that number it's just plain scary no matter what you're driving.[/quote]

Chuck, I'm surprised at this answer from you...... There is a huge difference in stability at 140+ speeds in a RT with a spoiler and without.

I have to agree, but the GEN MATTERS....Agreement specific to a GEN ONE. The G2-98 is much more stable than the brick-fronted gen I. G1 is scary, and settles nicely with the rear spoiler. That spoiler was GEN 1 DESIGNED and TESTED.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that a spoiler will make it more desirable. That being said, I may add one to my RT/10 in the future...it's further down my mod list. I'll make that decision when it pops to the top.

I personally like the Mopar spoiler the best, but most don't like to drill into the top of the truck lid. The autoform spoilers mount to the side, no damage to the paint:

Message - ViperClub Classifieds

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some interesting comments. Well, for me personally, I do not track or plan to track (road or 1/4 mile drag) so the possibility of going 140mph or over does not exist.

Again, for me, this is a matter of looks plain and simple. My quandry is really my "upbringing", which always leans towards being a purist, means not to make changes to a car that were not offered by the factory. Not criticizing anyone elses choice, just tends to be the way I go.

I happen to like the low, very flat, wide stance of the RT and adding the spoiler does change that look. Also, I am now understanding a little more about not wanting to drill into the trunk. Think I might be changing my mind and will take another look at the Autoform spoiler. While I like the style of the "factory" spoiler, it is something that can't be reversed without body work/spray.

Sorry if I move back and forth, but I am and have been kind of on the fence about this. And, would I rather spend the money on adding hi-flow cats (about the same cost) or waiting to buy a hardtop. This was a Florida car and was not originally purchased with the optional hardtop. Remember, I really like A/C in the summer :D

Thanks all.:2tu:

01_VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, I think it depends what the buyer is looking for. A buyer may think the spoiler looks good and may pay a little bit more for it. Some may just want it all stock.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery