Impact to value if I get oem mods

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello hello. I've got a 2013 srt viper and I've been thinking about getting a few oem additions to it but I'm concerned about how it'll impact the value of the car.

Currently my car is **** stock and I'd like to keep it that way so if I get a dealer to install oem parts, I'm not sure of it'll still be considered 'stock' and thus impact the value.

1. Rear view camera
The visibility on this car is the worst and mine didn't come with a rear view camera so I'm wondering if I can get a dealership to install the factory camera in there.

2. Metal door sil's
I like the look of the metal door sils so was thinking about getting those installed

3. Oem 18 speaker upgrade
A number of years ago I heard getting the 18 speaker upgrade really improves the sound, but back then you couldn't get the oem upgrade kit anymore. Is that still the case, or can you acquire it now? Is the Mopar upgrade kit the same as if I bought the car with the 18 speaker option? (I'm not sure if there was things like Harman Kardon logos on the grills or something).

What are people's thoughts on how this would impact the value of the car, and would it still be 'stock'?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Honestly, as new as they are I'm not sure you're going to see mods really making much of a difference in price. The production numbers were so low to start with and most people do something to make the car their own, so I doubt you'd see much of a price change on a gen 5. OEM is never a bad way to go in my mind though. Also, if you're really concerned, just try to do mods that are non-permanent and easily reversible and keep any original parts you take out. That gives the next person an easy way to go back to 100% sticker stock if they really wanted to. It takes up more space in your garage, but depending on what you swap out it may be pretty minimal.

Truthfully, I'd take a modded car that was well done over a factory original car in bad shape, so in the end it would come down to the buyer. I personally would prefer to mod the car to my taste and enjoy it. I didn't buy mine for the next guy down the line, I bought it for myself.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They offered a rear view camera? In a Viper? I didn’t know that! One of the reasons that I bought my Viper is because of its lack of non essential electronics and other things. I like that I have to manually put the top up and down instead of pushing a button and having non essential motors and things.

You may not be able to install an OEM rear view camera simply because you may not have the required factory wiring to tap in to. It could turn in to a hefty project if it turns out that you need a different wiring harness. Check with your dealer.

18” speakers would require some cutting / modifications I would think. At that point the car would no longer be stock. Or I suppose you could order the parts that would accommodate 18” speakers and save your originals.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If this is a 2013 Stryker Red or Launch Id leave it alone. Otherwise, hack away. Lots of AFTERMARKET DVRs and rear cameras and sound systems out there, just choose a top-quality shop.

Mopar mod / accessory availability does Not improve over time.

OP
OP
A

alduin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, 2013 striker red. Basically the launch edition of the srt haha. So you wouldn't recommend the door sils, camera, or speaker upgrade even if it's all original OEM parts installed by a dealership?

Viborin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 SRT-10 is higly modified, from wheels, tires, interior, sound system and the addition of splitters, spol=iler and wing, I get offers at every car show I take it to, modifications as long as they are done correctly enhance the eye appeal of the car.

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 2013 striker red. Basically the launch edition of the srt haha. So you wouldn't recommend the door sils, camera, or speaker upgrade even if it's all original OEM parts installed by a dealership?
Originally, only 41 of them, every year, that total gets smaller. Value may go up, Survivor value surely will

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32