Importing Viper into Canada... Need Help !!!!!!

Vindicator

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so heres the story....

A buddy of mine recently bought a 94 RT/10 in Texas, we planned 2 have the car shipped into Ontario, Canada and then register the car. Now heres the catch customs said the car is not aloud into the country due 2 front bumper specs and the seat belts....

So now we have this mint snake sitting at customs doing nothing!!! Has anyone else had these problems ???? And what can we do ?????

Justin

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
D@mn,

This is what has kept my dad for looking for an RT/10 stateside.

There is a list of cars on Canada customs website that do not meet spec. I don't think there's any difference between the bumpers but the seatbelts is a biggie. YOu also need to do a spedo conversion and a DTRL conversion as well. I'd get ahold of a broker at the border and see what he can do, it may end up costing a couple hundred bucks but I think that's the best way to go.

Other than that you should call customs and ask them what all you can do. What border crossing are you trying to get it across?

Good luck man,

Craig

EDIT

I did some searching and found some info on importing into canada and what you need to do so. http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d17-3-1/d1731ed.html

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I cars are inadmissable period.

Sadly, they do not offer the how and where to make it compliant for entry our government just flat out doesn't allow it.

Interestingly enough Gen I Cdn spec cars can go to the US and be legally registered, I beleive Tom F&L has a Gen I that was originally Cdn spec, maybe he will see this.

When GTS hunting I was close on several US cars, worked out to be a wash financially after all conversions and other charges. The one sticking point is the speedo conversion on resale, most people will not touch the car after that has happened for tampering reasons. I called Pemberton on that one, he discounts 10 large on a swapped out speedo car at the time.

My advice would be to plead back to the seller and bite for a few K if you have to. Not sure how even a resale would occur as the car is still in the previous persons name at this point. Muddy, muddy, situation!!! I bought my GTS in British Columbia, 3000 miles west, and had it shipped thru the US to avoid the Rocky Mountains on a winter purchase. Getting thru customs at both ends using the US as merely a travelling route was an exercise in futility with my Viper, god coplex offered free of charge!!
smile.gif

Have you checked autotrader.ca and then link from there outside of Ontario, always a decent selection of Gen I cars available!

Best of luck,