Impossible stripe install

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I have read everything I can about installing vinyl stripes and I am stuck on the bumpers. The easy parts turned out great (hood and roof) but I have tried the front bumper about 10 times now every different way with no luck! Glad I got the 150' roll because at this rate I might need it all.

So the question I have is, has anyone managed to install the pieces on the bumper in one piece of 8" vinyl striping? Even with heat and stretching I can't get it close to making the curves of the bumper. :dunno:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use more heat, more pressure, and more patients. It can be done. It takes a lot of practice to get good at vinyl on curves.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine came out great. The bumpers took my installers some time. The even cut the rears to get them perfect. What type and thickness of vinyl are you using? I used Avery 3mil.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your saying it's been done... I'm at the point where I feel like taking the half finished car to a shop and have them finish it.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine came out great. The bumpers took my installers some time. The even cut the rears to get them perfect. What type and thickness of vinyl are you using? I used Avery 3mil.
You must be registered for see images

I saw you car from the other thread and it looks great!!! Kinda why I have been itching to do mine. I am also using avery premium vinyl, so they were able to make the underside look just as good as the top side of the bumpers or is it pieced together or overlapping but since it's on the under side you just don't see it??

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are you using as a heat gun? and squeegy? are you using a liquid?

Well I am using a heat gun I think it's a Wagner if that matters. For a squeegy I have the these felt covered ones I got so I wouldn't scratch the stripes or my paint. I tried with and with out a solution, basically a few drops of dish soap in a spray bottle of water. I think I got closer not using the solution since once it's in place it stays there

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sound like you have all the right tools and if you have read the threads regarding vinyl strips then you have all the info you should need... the rest is just technique. It took me some time to learn how to get it just right. Sometimes the best answer is just to walk away from it for a bit then go back to it later. Or if there is someone in your area that can help you, it may be something simple that you are doing wrong.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, in the back they overlapped the vinyl just under the back edge of the bumper. Looks perfect. The front went on with no overlapping. J and R makes a good point. Take a little break and come back fresh.
You must be registered for see images attach

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed 2.5mil vinyl stripes on my '01 hood, hardtop, both bumpers, trunk, license plate area and through the NACA duct (that was fun). Heat, stretch, pull... If you're using the thicker vinyl it'll take a little more work. Which brand/mil thickness vinyl are you using?

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to cut mine in half beneath the outer most edge of the bumpers to get mine on straight. I did it with absolutely no experience and alot of patience. It's a filthy job and it took me a few days.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed 2.5mil vinyl stripes on my '01 hood, hardtop, both bumpers, trunk, license plate area and through the NACA duct (that was fun). Heat, stretch, pull... If you're using the thicker vinyl it'll take a little more work. Which brand/mil thickness vinyl are you using?

I am using Avery A9 High performance 2 mil. cast film.

So you did you guys apply it to the bumper dry and heat and pull it slowly as you went along the bumper stretching a bit as you peeled the backing off? or did you do it wet with the solution? I found it really hard to to stretch it right and not wrinkle it while it was sliding around wet.

My other idea which i was thinking about last night and havent tried yet, was to apply the whole piece really wet and try and stretch and mold it with the heat gun while its on the laying on the bumper, and once its all stretched and looks like it might work start to squeegy out the solution and apply it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced my front nose pieces a few times, it's a real pain in the ass.
What works for me is to do it dry and have two people.
One holds the squeegee and the heat gun, the other holds the vinyl out and away from the nose.
Starting at the top and working very slowly, the person with the squeegee applies the vinyl to the nose a bit at at time heating it as he goes, while the other keeps the material taut. This prevents any kinks and bubbles. If you see a major bubble or defect you lift the vinyl back up, you will NOT get it out after. Applying the heat as you work, the vinyl is more malable. The person holding the vinyl has to keep it very taut but work with you as you apply. You don't want to stretch or deform it.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have replaced my front nose pieces a few times, it's a real pain in the ass.
What works for me is to do it dry and have two people.
One holds the squeegee and the heat gun, the other holds the vinyl out and away from the nose.
Starting at the top and working very slowly, the person with the squeegee applies the vinyl to the nose a bit at at time heating it as he goes, while the other keeps the material taut. This prevents any kinks and bubbles. If you see a major bubble or defect you lift the vinyl back up, you will NOT get it out after. Applying the heat as you work, the vinyl is more malable. The person holding the vinyl has to keep it very taut but work with you as you apply. You don't want to stretch or deform it.

This is similar to what i was trying before, but i didnt do it dry. I will try again with this approach, thanks! :2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using Avery A9 High performance 2 mil. cast film.

So you did you guys apply it to the bumper dry and heat and pull it slowly as you went along the bumper stretching a bit as you peeled the backing off? or did you do it wet with the solution? I found it really hard to to stretch it right and not wrinkle it while it was sliding around wet.

Yep, I used the same vinyl and I did apply the vinyl dry to the curvy parts otherwise it moves around on you while trying to heat and pull it to conform to the curves. Don't get discouraged. It took me a couple of days of trial and error to get it right.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I used the same vinyl and I did apply the vinyl dry to the curvy parts otherwise it moves around on you while trying to heat and pull it to conform to the curves. Don't get discouraged. It took me a couple of days of trial and error to get it right.

Sounds good! Thanks guys, its nice to know it is possible! I will be sure to post some picks when everything works out :)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried this on my yellow GTS. After a few choice words, and some ruined material. I threw it all in the garbage.. definately NOT easy..

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine once and it is a major pain in the a**. I eventually hid the wrinkles under the bumper, top looked nice. I'll never do it again.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had to cut mine in half beneath the outer most edge of the bumpers to get mine on straight. I did it with absolutely no experience and alot of patience. It's a filthy job and it took me a few days.

Can you post anymore pictures of your car. Looks really nice! I have always wondered about doing flat black, but always thought I would have to paint them on. I didn't know they made flate black vinyl stripes.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deadeye, beautiful car...damn

ive done a LOT of stripes on various other cars and used the viperjon method with good results. it takes patience.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And whatever amount you think you will need to do your car.....double it....:D

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DeadEye, thanks for posting those. I really like it. It almost seems like they are like ghost stripes or somthing. When you have new pics in more sunlight please PM me. The car looks amazing and I have been considering switching my silver stripes for flat black for a little bit now. I just want the stripes to be more pronounced. I don't know if it's just the dark pics but was wanting to see what it looks like in some good sun light. Awesome car all round!

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. A cool side note about flat black stripes on a reflective black car is when you wash it. The stripes totally disappear when a stream of water run over them. I'll try to take better daylight pics.

ZexZo6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. A cool side note about flat black stripes on a reflective black car is when you wash it. The stripes totally disappear when a stream of water run over them. I'll try to take better daylight pics.

Thanks again! Can't wait to see them. Also can you send a couple of pics to my email address if you have time. I'll PM you. I just wanted to see them a little bigger too. I just can't get over how bad ass it looks. The flat black just makes it look evil; and with the PREY4ME license plate you can't ice the cake any better. Great Job!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good! Thanks guys, its nice to know it is possible! I will be sure to post some picks when everything works out :)

How are you making out on this? Any updates? Did you shred the vinyl into a million pieces in a rage of frustration yet? :)

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are you making out on this? Any updates? Did you shred the vinyl into a million pieces in a rage of frustration yet? :)

Still no updates, the weather has been pretty crappy around here so I haven’t been able to bring the viper home to work on it (its in storage) I am thinking this weekend might be a good chance to try again. I am finally starting to recoup from my frustration last time. :mad: I have about a 100’ of stripe left, so I hope that’s enough! :lmao:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you get the vinyl?? I need to get some (secret color) for my 08 and getting it from my work is way too expensive even at my cost.

OP
OP
C

Chinook47

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you get the vinyl?? I need to get some (secret color) for my 08 and getting it from my work is way too expensive even at my cost.

I think i heard about the place from a Viper Tony post? but i bought them through letters unlimited, 150' roll of premasked premium vinyl for about $150. Its nice having the extra so you can throw a bunch away if its not perfect. Im accumulating a nice big ball of it from trying to get this bumper done right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave