In-dash computer/etc??

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking everywhere for a unit that will fit/replace my stock cd/radio in my 96 GTS Viper. I want it to be a computer/windows-based, CD/DVD player & navigation system. I did find one but the screen was separate. I don't know where I'd mount a separate monitor. I would like it to be exactly like the Alpine system with the 7" motorized pop out touch-screen. They only seem to have stereos but no computers. I would like to be able to run car diagnostic programs like Autotap on the computer end of it besides CD's, DVD's, & Navigation. Anyone have any sources or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Chuck B 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can locate a stereo specialty shop in your area you should be able to have it done. I know there are some shops that do "custom installation" units and that is ALL they do.
Cheers,
Chuck

iwantaviperbad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom,

I'll lookup the link for ya, but one alternative is to go ahead and purchase an in dash cd player w/ built in motorized screen, with at least 1 auxiliary input. The company I'm thinking about makes small pc's out of laptop components, specifically for cars. They don't make an all in one unit like the alpine cd players, but this is an option. If you were to mount a monitor elsewhere, it'd be a bit cheaper. But you can get an indash cd/dvd with monitorzed screen on ebay in the 600-800 range. Won't be a brand new model, but it'll still get the job done.

OP
OP
V

Venom 1000TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link & suggestions. I'll check it out! The wireless card's a great idea. Already have it for the house.