Information from Chrysler on 2015 Viper

sunsalem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then shifting adds complexity.
So does paddle shifting.;)

Sunsalem, let me get this right, if the Gen5 offered and auto, you would get one instantly?
I have said this a number of times from the very beginning of my posting on this forum.

Your comment saying the only things you liked about the Gen5 is the interior and tale lights threw me. Maybe just me, but I need to like much more than the interior, tail lights and have an auto to spend 100k on a car...
There is no such things as a Perfect Car.
There are always trade-offs.
For me, the lack of an auto kills the deal.
For others, a lack of a vert, the "disappointing" power increase, the electronic nannies, etc.

I respectfully request that those who find it necessary to bash the car post elesewhere. Your posts are driving legitimate posters who would otherwise make useful contributions away from the Gen V forum ( I have been PM'd by some) and the VCA forum in general. So if you can't help yourself, please consider posting on the otrher two forums available - VOA and VA. Thank you.
Since you consider me as one of your so called "bashers," I will no longer post in "YOUR THREAD."
However, you are not a mod and I will continue posting on this forum.
Unless, of course, I am banned.

I do have a more frank response on the tip of my tongue, but in the interest of trying to keep things civil I'll keep it to my self.
I bid you adieu, sir.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I AM a mod, and have said it numerous times that Viper bashing does not belong on the Viper Club forums, so a few posts have been pruned in this thread. Everything negative has been said, over, and over, and over again. There is no perfect car, but if you wish to make your comments known, write Dodge, or go to the many other venues that allow Viper bashing (like the Vette forums).

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, I will bite. didn't you just describe the case with every car ever made. Your Gen2 was not adequate the minute the Gen3 was released. I guess not following the point you are trying to make.
There isn't one Gen V owner on this forum who won't be wanting more out of their car in a few years. You will either want to modify or get the newer version. That in and of itself is an admission of either some sort of perceived inadequacy in the car.....or a perceived inadequacy in yourself.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or... maybe buyers will start to discover what a great car the Gen V is and sales will finally start to reflect that fact!

The C&D 2014 Lightning Lap Comparison will draw the attention of those looking for serious performance.

http://i.imgur.com/UUfsCV8.jpg
I'm amazed how well the Z-28 did with just 505 HP- Cheby really hit it out of the park with that car.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That car, the Z28, has a base price of $73,300. In the test it is one second slower than a TA and even slower than the ACR that ran the track in a past year. The $73,300 buys a stripped Z28. Look at the options and option pricing. A single zone A/C unit is an option. The Hellcat Challenger has a base price of $59,995 and the car has alot of content.

The 2015 TA 2.0 will increase the one second lead with its additional down force . It will also beat the Nismo and the new Z06. The Viper , which is what this thread and this site are about, is a great car at a great price. Those who have the coin and like the type of driving experience offered by the Viper should get one. They will not regret it.

The VCA VOI Circuit of the Americas event should be very interesting. I would not be surprised to see a 2015 TA 2.0 show up with a few other vehic;les from Dodge. It is a great venue at which to show off some product.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to share my experience today. So driving the Gen5 to a Cars and Coffee which I never do, stop at a gas station, stop at a starbucks. For the non-owners that somehow think the car looks dated or not mean enough or think it is part of the problem in sales, here is some data of the day.
1) at Cars and Coffee which is more of the exotics crowd (lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Audis, Cobras, Jaguars, Vipers, Corvettes and BMW's), the car simply draws a ton of attention and the comments were consistently "gorgeous, ****, intimidating, spectacular" followed by "your car looks brand new but how can that be as I thought they stopped making them..."
2) Gas Station where no less that 6 folks come over to ask about the car. Comments identical to the show crowd
3) Starbuck and yet again another 6 people with the same exact comments. One guy literally stared at it for 10min looking at every detail while I was in the store and when I walked out says "I know its a viper but I am really confused. It is different than the prior generations and it looks brand new, but I really thought they stopped making them. What is the deal?"

In all cases, someone would also ask how much HP it has (I hate that question, but it is what it is and I suspect happens with all performance cars), when told, they are blown away. This was in all locations. I was parked next to a Gen2 viper . If you think they look similar, put them side be side in person and you would be blown away by how different they look and how much more aggressive and wider the Gen5 looks. Lastly, during the day, there was 3 C7 corvettes at the exotics show. Even the guys running the show told them to go park by the BMW crowd and odd stuff. Zero attention pulling in or during the show. I will admit a black one looked better than I expected, but nobody cared.

My point being, when people state sales are an issue because of design, from personal experience, it seems like the furthest thing from reality. HP not a reason either. Now a solid reason could be folks simply don't know the car exists and/or the terrible experience of walking into a Dodge dealer.

Anyways, that was my experience today and had to share as it was a big dose of reality on a couple of different points I described. Other owners should share their experiences, but I suspect similar. Someone mentioned feeling inadequacy... I can tell you that is not a word a Gen5 owner would be using.

So, if you haven't driven one, do yourself a favor and do it. Try to get a drive where you have to stop some place for a bit. Then report back and tell us the design is the problem.

Last edited:

zim32

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Got to share my experience today. So driving the Gen5 to a Cars and Coffee which I never do, stop at a gas station, stop at a starbucks. For the non-owners that somehow think the car looks dated or not mean enough or think it is part of the problem in sales, here is some data of the day.
1) at Cars and Coffee which is more of the exotics crowd (lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Audis, Cobras, Jaguars, Vipers, Corvettes and BMW's), the car simply draws a ton of attention and the comments were consistently "gorgeous, ****, intimidating, spectacular" followed by "your car looks brand new but how can that be as I thought they stopped making them..."
2) Gas Station where no less that 6 folks come over to ask about the car. Comments identical to the show crowd
3) Starbuck and yet again another 6 people with the same exact comments. One guy literally stared at it for 10min looking at every detail while I was in the store and when I walked out says "I know its a viper but I am really confused. It is different than the prior generations and it looks brand new, but I really thought they stopped making them. What is the dal?"

In all cases, someone would also ask how much HP it has (I hate that question, but it is what it is and I suspect happens with all performance cars), when told, they are blown away. This was in all locations. 1 Gen2 viper there they had me park next too. If you think they look similar, put them side be side in person and you would be blown away by how different they look and how much more aggressive and wider the Gen5 looks. Lastly, during the day, there was 3 C7 corvettes at the exotics show. Even the guys running the show told them to go park by the BMW crowd and odd stuff. Zero attention pulling in or during the show. I will admit a black one looked better than I expected, but nobody cared.

My point being, when people state sales are an issue because of design, from personal experience, it seems like the furthest thing from reality. HP not a reason either. Now a solid reason could be folks simply don't know the car exists and/or the terrible experience of walking into a Dodge dealer.

Anyways, that was my experience today and had to share as it was a big dose of reality on a couple of different points I described. Other owners should share their experiences, but I suspect similar. Someone mentioned feeling inadequacy... I can tell you that is not a word a Gen5 owner would be using.

So, if you haven't driven one, do yourself a favor and do it. Try to get a drive where you have to stop some place for a bit. Then report back and tell me the design is the problem.

Mirrors my experiences regarding feedback from other enthusiasts when out with my TA. Have tracked the TA numerous times at a local track that I frequent and I run aprrox. 5 seconds a lap quicker than my 11' Porsche GT3 RS or Ferr. 430 Scud (1:58's avg lap time)...only changes to the Viper were MPSC's. This is my 1st street legal Viper and I'm shocked by all the negative stuff I've read here...by people who haven't driven this car EVER...much less the track where it seperates itself from the competition unless your driving a full blown race car (Viper Comp Coupe) or something costing north of 300k.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, I will bite. didn't you just describe the case with every car ever made. Your Gen2 was not adequate the minute the Gen3 was released. I guess not following the point you are trying to make.
I've modified my car and lusted after others. It's human nature to want more and I suppose it would be no different if I owned a GenV.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since you have a TA, did you track on both the stock tires and the MPCS's at the same track? If so, how comparable were your times. (interesting as it relates to the strong opinions on the tires)

Mirrors my experiences regarding feedback from other enthusiasts when out with my TA. Have tracked the TA numerous times at a local track that I frequent and I run aprrox. 5 seconds a lap quicker than my 11' Porsche GT3 RS or Ferr. 430 Scud (1:58's avg lap time)...only changes to the Viper were MPSC's. This is my 1st street legal Viper and I'm shocked by all the negative stuff I've read here...by people who haven't driven this car EVER...much less the track where it seperates itself from the competition unless your driving a full blown race car (Viper Comp Coupe) or something costing north of 300k.

zim32

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since you have a TA, did you track on both the stock tires and the MPCS's at the same track? If so, how comparable were your times. (interesting as it relates to the strong opinions on the tires)

Never tracked the Corsas...had a spare set of wheels and mounted the MSPC's on them for the track. Tires are just about done...was thinking of trying the Corsas as we get into some cooler weather in the months to come...

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS GUY NAILED IT.

I'll throw out my professional opinion as an Industrial Designer.

So the guy who designs vacuum cleaners, buckets and random beige-colored objects feels like he has the expertise to chime on on automotive design...this should be nice.

It's because it's ugly and outdated. There have been, now, 3 major revisions of the Corvette since the Viper debuted in '92. While each has kept certain design cues that make them 'vettes, they've been major redesigns over the c4 (which ran until '96, 4 years after the viper launch).

Ugly because it's not beige, almond and/or off-white and boxy in nature? I like that you compare the Viper's untouchable looks to a dime-a-dozen car like the Vette that is so common nobody looks twice if one drives by. Meanwhile, I have guys in ferraris pulling up next to me to snap a cellphone pic of my Viper...but yeah, let's go with your bold premise that the Gen 5 is "ugly and outdated" even though it has a timeless design.

In '92 the Viper was extreme by comparison to the fairly tame vette and higher priced Ferraris and Porsches. It had no exterior door handles, roof or windows. no driver aids, and a freakin V-10. Even when the released the coupe in '96, it was still looked great compared to the C4 and even when the C5 hit, the viper still seemed so much more over the top that it kept it's image, all while it's ******** nature was being dilluted with subtle changes like windows, rerouting the exhaust, etc.

Seems like you're confusing your misplaced nostalgia with the natural progression of a great vehicle. The Gen 5 is still the same beast it was all along, it just looks better and feels nicer. Why wouldn't you want changes made to the car that make it more livable so that you can drive it often and not feel fatigued?

Other v10s were hitting the market from Audi and Lambo, the definition of extreme had been pushed so far by Bugatti that the Viper (while much less expensive) seemed mundane.

Audi's cars are all snooze-fests in terms of design - no surprise that a guy who thinks a cylinder is a radical shape would cite an audi as having any kind of style. They're totally corporate cookie-cutter vehicles devoid of personality, absent a soul. Bugatti is the italian word for fugly...and if you like fugly then you won't like the Viper.

So when the current gen came out, I had hoped for the complete rebirth of the car that was so needed, rather than simply the same-old, same-old look we got, this time bringing back the body lines of the first gen, but a ridiculously cartoonish hood and nose treatment. I'd have accepted a well refined gentlemen's sports car, or all-out insanity on wheels. Stylistically, we got neither. No imagination, no poster car for a 12-year-old's wall, no beast.

You have posters of shelves on your wall. Those 2015 shelves are a radical departure from the 2014 versions, as they now come in a bold new color - khaki.

The first Viper was purpose built around a monster of an engine. The current, seems to merely exist until they think of something better to do with it. Yeah, it's got power, but like everyone's saying, it's not Hellcat power. So where's the insanity? In a time when a lesser family sedan can have as much HP as the first gen Viper, it's hard to think of the current viper the same way we thought of the first.

And why would you? Times have changed and the performance auto category is alive and well. That's a good thing. You have options and the Viper is still "wild" compared to some awd secretary sportscar like the 911.

A next gen viper needs to be so over-the-top, toddlers cry at the very sight of it.

No, not really. The design philosophy behind the Viper was and still is to produce a relatively affordable race car that's pretty good as a street car. It's still a great race car, and now an even better street car. It can only get better.

If the Hellcat Charger/Challenger is going to top 700hp, the Viper needs to hit 900 minimum.

No it doesn't.

The fact that the hellcats exist, tells me that the time is finally right for the Viper to get the redesign it deserves, and we can only hope they get the picture.

If Chrysler ever decides they want to exit the auto industry and enter into the exciting world of pneumatic office chairs, I'm sure you'll be on their shortlist of expert design consultants.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peerblock is pi**ed because he finally stepped up and bought a decent car (obviously for the first time) at MSRP and he's going to get absolutely hammered.
Couldn't have happened to a more pompous clown. :2tu:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the 2.0 has ACR levels of downforce along with Trofeos then I would think there probably wont be an ACR and that the TA has replaced the ACR moniker/duty. I read a post here that stated that the TA 2.0 is the car they will take to the Ring. That duty used to be the ACR models so your question is extremely valid one imho.

ViperDC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3) Starbuck and yet again another 6 people with the same exact comments. One guy literally stared at it for 10min looking at every detail while I was in the store and when I walked out says "I know its a viper but I am really confused. It is different than the prior generations and it looks brand new, but I really thought they stopped making them. What is the deal?"

In all cases, someone would also ask how much HP it has (I hate that question, but it is what it is and I suspect happens with all performance cars), when told, they are blown away. This was in all locations. I was parked next to a Gen2 viper . If you think they look similar, put them side be side in person and you would be blown away by how different they look and how much more aggressive and wider the Gen5 looks. Lastly, during the day, there was 3 C7 corvettes at the exotics show. Even the guys running the show told them to go park by the BMW crowd and odd stuff. Zero attention pulling in or during the show. I will admit a black one looked better than I expected, but nobody cared.

So, if you haven't driven one, do yourself a favor and do it. Try to get a drive where you have to stop some place for a bit. Then report back and tell us the design is the problem.

Great post! Completely agree.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peerblock is pi**ed because he finally stepped up and bought a decent car (obviously for the first time) at MSRP and he's going to get absolutely hammered.
Couldn't have happened to a more pompous clown. :2tu:

Hey, hey, no need to get your pleated pants in a bunch. Who buys a vehicle expecting it to appreciate? You? Because you'd have to be a pompous clown to expect a car to gain in resale value. My Viper is stryker red, one of like 40 made, and it's holding its value in spite of the fire sale they're having now. I have no intention of trading it in now or in the future so its market value isn't a concern.

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cool story brah. I was at a local car show and a gynecologist rolled up in a Stryker Red Viper and entered. Super nice guy. He won nothing and I won a very large custom "People's Choice" trophy made out of camshafts and pistons.

05Commemorative

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that your story is somehow related... but thanks for sharing your story brah...
Cool story brah. I was at a local car show and a gynecologist rolled up in a Stryker Red Viper and entered. Super nice guy. He won nothing and I won a very large custom "People's Choice" trophy made out of camshafts and pistons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper