inspection of ebay car

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a car on ebay that is another state far away. Has anyone ever used any of those inspection services? Which ones? How did you like the report received? Did the inspection identify the true condition of the car?

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used magoos.net for one and it was very helpful although I would like to have more detail if I wasnt buying from a forum member. If you have no other options you had better use someone.

Reaction score
I used magoos.net for one and it was very helpful although I would like to have more detail if I wasnt buying from a forum member. If you have no other options you had better use someone.

You used them when you were looking at a Viper? I have a sneaking suspicion your answer will be no...not a Viper.

Not sure, by looking at your profile, if you have a Viper, so I can only guess you do not (yet). :)

I'd let most any service look at most any car I was interested in....except a Viper. You use this Forum, these members (who LOVE to look at other Vipers), and a certified Viper Tech (prefferably a friend of the board/club). To do anything else is asking for whatever you end up with.

Depending on where the original poster lives...I am sure there is someone out there to help. Heck, I drove 3 hours, 2 years ago, to look at Joe's black GENI for Francisco (and I'd do it again if asked). :)

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in Colorado. I bought my 2001 on Ebay from a guy in Montana last September. I had him take it to a viper tech in Billings, Montana. I had the Viper tech check the car out and fax me the report (cost about $80-100 if I remember correctly). Good luck! My deal worked out perfectly.

BradH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Follow Supercharged Vipermad's advice and have the car looked at by a viper tech and/or by a VCA member.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You used them when you were looking at a Viper? I have a sneaking suspicion your answer will be no...not a Viper.

Not sure, by looking at your profile, if you have a Viper, so I can only guess you do not (yet). :)

I'd let most any service look at most any car I was interested in....except a Viper. You use this Forum, these members (who LOVE to look at other Vipers), and a certified Viper Tech (prefferably a friend of the board/club). To do anything else is asking for whatever you end up with.

Depending on where the original poster lives...I am sure there is someone out there to help. Heck, I drove 3 hours, 2 years ago, to look at Joe's black GENI for Francisco (and I'd do it again if asked). :)

No but I had them look a a corvette and I'm not sure what your point is but the more information you can get the better. They are also going to look at the viper Im eying in california. I have talkd to the tech that did the mods and have asked members to go but havent gotten a response yet. I am far from lackluster in finding information. My point is that if he is seriously considering buynig the car the an inspection service is better than nothing but not that it should be his main priority.

If you can clarify why a VIPER is so different from any other car that costs 40+ k then I would like to know. The only thing I can think of is the recalls being done correctly which a majority of members on this board are not wrench turners and couldnt tell you if it was done correctly if they saw were looking directly at it so your most likely hoping for a member who's willing to drive to see that car and actually knows what the heck to look for. GOOD LUCK (they are out there but its not like every person on this site is willing)

Reaction score
If you can clarify why a VIPER is so different from any other car that costs 40+ k then I would like to know.

I don't have to....my point holds true for the Vette or any "other car that costs 40+ k". Even if I were buying a Vette....or a BMW....or any other high end expensive car....I would not let some generic vehicle inspector look at it for me. Your mileage may vary, and you (obviously) can do what you want. You THOUGHT you would trip me up because YOU thought I would say the Viper is far above any "other car that costs 40+ k"....you lose. I'll bet you probably BANK on CARFAX as well. If one wants to buy a Vette....they need an EXPERT on CORVETTES to look at the car. Same goes for Vipers, Mercedes, and even OTHER things that cost 40+ k. You wouldn't let just ANY veterinarian look at a Kentucky Derby race horse you were planning on buying...would you? (maybe you would????)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um yeah a raceshorse costs millions of dollars, But you were the one making a big deal about it being a viper. to me its all the same if I'm spending 10's of thousands I want to know what's up with it. You can say what you want but I can bet that a MAJORITY of the people on this site that bought used vipers DID NOT have a viper EXPERT look at the car. You have to do what you can to find info and especially people who buy from online dealerships. I did, however get a chance to talk to a viper expert who tuned this car I'm looking at so Im good. the corvette I bought came a corvetteforum.com member so I could research all his previous posts and reputation. LIKE I SAID IF ALL ELSE FAILS AT LEAST HAVE SOMEONE WHO DOES KNOW AOUT CARS LOOK AT IT. Maybe in your perfect world, there are viper experts on every corner waiting but that's not true in mine.

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is an example of an inspection I just got from magoos.net As you can see it's not a viper tech inspection but for $149 is not bad either and I just ordered this last night. So if your gonna spend that kind of money on a car then a little more reassurance could be all you need but NOTHING IS FOOLPROOF when it come to cars.

Magoo's AUTOMOTIVE PRE-INSPECTION Date Inspected 8/30/2006
Assignment # 200608291949W Company Magoo's Pre-Purchase Inspections
Contract # 08291949W Customer
Year 1998 Make Dodge Model Viper
Verified Full VIN 1B3ER69E6WV400168 Verified Odometer 15700
EngineSize 8.0 Manual Transmission
OK Proble Inspect The Following Comments
Found
Road Comment Vehicle is showroom condition with some modifications done by Valawa Racing in San Jose by the original owner Ted
OK Engine Starting / Cranking / Idle engine starts and runs good. The inspector was not able to take on highway at cruising speeds
and it has no insurance. Drove only in driveway, turns, forward and reverse etc.
OK Engine Operation
OK Transmission shifts good
OK Suspension / Ride
OK Brakes good
Initial Comment: all accessories operate properly
OK Wipers / Washers
OK Clock / Radio / Horn / Cruise
OK Power Antenna / Digital Dash
OK Switches (Windows, Locks, Seats) Windows are tinted.
OK A/C / Heater / Defroster / Frt-Rr
OK Lights (Interior, Exterior)
OK Parking Brake
OK Interior / Seats / Carpet / Dash
OK Body Inspection Showroom condition
Under The Hood Comment: vehicle parked in garage with white floor and not a drop of oil or fluid of any kind underneath vehicle. All fluids are
full and good.
OK Emission System
OK Valve Covers / Seals / Gaskets
OK Belt / Hose/ Clamp / Vacuum Line
OK Air Filter
OK Radiator / Cap
OK Elecric Fan / Clutch Fan
OK A/C Compressor / A/C Clutch
OK Evap / Condens / Dryr / A/C Hoses
OK P/S Pump / P/S Gear / P/S Hoses
OK Battery / Alternator
OK Engine Oil
OK Engine Coolant
OK Transmission Fluid
OK Brake Fluid / Power Steering Fluid
Under The Vehicle (NOT on Lift) Comment Headers and exhaust system are aftermarket. Vehicle has duct air cooler for the brake
system., 3.54 ring and pinion installed in rear end, (gear change) B&M short throw shifter.

OK Engine / Transmission / aftermarket modifications in engine Roller rockers, aluminum
Differential flywheel, baffled oil pan, oversized throttle body.
OK Muffler / Tail Pipe
OK Catalytic Converter
OK Joints / Tie Rods / Shocks / Bushs
OK Frame / Undercarriage
OK Wheel Brgs / Axle Seals, C/V Boots
OK Tires / Wheels
OK Brake Calipers / Wheel Cyls / Lines
This is NOT a safety Inspection. This is a visual inspection of the vehicle and systems therein and is in no way to be relied upon to determine the safeness of this
vehicle. This inspection and the opinions expressed are exactly that, opinions. Many parts perform perfectly up until the moment of failure. Failure may occur
suddenly and without any prior warning. Due to the cursory nature of the inspection, the location, the constraints, and the lack of diagnostic tools, the inspector,
and or Magoo's Automotive Consultants cannot accept liability for failures or injuries which may occur after the inspection is completed.
ms
Test May.
Inspection
Cntrl

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO detail body/paint inspection. I hit ALL the cars I look at with a paint gauge... As an inspector, one would assume he has a paint gauge!! It is the BEST way to check for prior paint and the tell tale signs of previous damage...

They run around $400 for a metal and close to a $1000 for a composite measuring guage....

You would be SHOCKED at how many "showroom condition", "mint" condition cars have been hit and repaired....

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the report "looks" thorough.... but - I am not a fan of the checklist.

How about:

Color of brake fluid?
Caliper Viper lettering white, cream, iced tea or coffee colored?
Front and rear tires match?
Big body rivets in rear fenderwell - body colored or black?
Bolts under rear fascia - rusting?
Scraped under fascia?
Up on the lift - frame recall done? (correct and incorrect pics posted here, so it's not exactly rocket science)
Car owned by local club member? (you'll get a VERY accurate history then)
Side sills - paint bubbles / corrosion? Screws missing from underneath?
Original owners manual still in drivers side back seat pocket?

Goofy stuff - Viper specific - better insight than any checklist.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far the closest place I found is about an hour away from the car. They seemed to know vipers, but I may have to find someone closer to Salem

Reaction score
Come on Janni....its just a CAR! Why would any corner mechanic look at all that stuff.....its just a car, right??? bluestreak is SURE a MAJORITY of the people here didn't have ANY type of Viper expert look at their cars...he is so ALL KNOWING!!!

I think I clearly made my point that it didn't matter to me if it was a Viper, a Vette, a Mercedes.....the prudent thing to do is have someone who KNOWS the car (whatever car it is), and is considered an expert, look at the car (whatever car it is).

Anyone who relies solely on some vague "visual inspection" to buy an EXPENSIVE car gets what they deserve. bluestreak needs to get off his little "why do you think a Viper should be different" rant. He is talking specifics...I am talking about the expediture of any large amount of $$$.

wastintim....listen to whomever you want to.....but bluestreak is only right about one thing, my world IS perfect. LOL! That, and you gotta go with what you got....but you get what you pay for! Good luck!

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO detail body/paint inspection. I hit ALL the cars I look at with a paint gauge... As an inspector, one would assume he has a paint gauge!! It is the BEST way to check for prior paint and the tell tale signs of previous damage...

They run around $400 for a metal and close to a $1000 for a composite measuring guage....

You would be SHOCKED at how many "showroom condition", "mint" condition cars have been hit and repaired....

This car was repainted. 15k worth according to the owner. The original color was red. If the paint is better than stock it will do for me as long as it matches the stock colors. I know this is not viper specific but if you didnt have access to a viper mechanic wouldnt you use it too rather than do nothing and take a chance. I have had one of the trusted viper guys here look at a car for me and he had hardly anything bad to say about the car but I still didnt like it enough to buy but might have had I not driven it and looked at it in person for myself. like I said nothing is fool proof but there are certainly more thorough than others.

Reaction score
So far the closest place I found is about an hour away from the car. They seemed to know vipers, but I may have to find someone closer to Salem

That would be Fitzgerald...if I am guessing right. :)

You can spend the $149 for a nice visual....or get it to Fitz, let them put it on a lift, pull the tires and check everything out. Whatever makes YOU happy...pay no mind to us. :)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That would be Fitzgerald...if I am guessing right. :)

You can spend the $149 for a nice visual....or get it to Fitz, let them put it on a lift, pull the tires and check everything out. Whatever makes YOU happy...pay no mind to us. :)

If he has a legitimate option then I say go with the pros. Only if he is far away they have to send someone to the car or he has to have it transported to the shop for them to diagnose. NOT CHEAP (but you will regret it if you have problems with the car)

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The orinal color was red", what color is it now? I wouldn't buy it if it has had a color change unless you got a steal of a deal...

I would be very interested in the prep and materials etc... A lot of work to change color... Easy to take some short cuts that will show down the road....

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's black and silver GTS colors. A complete paint job from what I have been told.

RedOne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO I would not buy a car that has been re-painted. It hurts the car value wise with a color change, then you have the added negative of the possibilty of the "past", "present" and "futur" showing through. I have seen many 15K jobs (so they claim) that was not prepped correctly and you can see the grit marks, etc...

Black is the worst color as it shows everything. The painter would have had to do a LOT of prep to make it right. Make sure you have some one qualified to look at the paint work.

I'm just very cautious when it comes to paint... I bought mine knowing that the fascia had been painted, but I also bought it 10K below....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte