Installed Autovation pedal covers - went well (picture)

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awhile back the rubber cover on my brake pedal developed a split. I have also been interested in some sort of spacer on my left pedals as my legs are kinda short compared to my torso and in order to get the clutch pedal to the floor I have to have my seat so far forward that my knee is really close to the headlight switch when my left leg is bent even with the pedals all the way toward me. So I ordered the thick version of the knurled Autovation pedals and bought some quarter inch thick rubber matt to use as a spacer between the pedals and the new covers. Grabbed some 3/4" flat head socket screws to replace the 1/2" units that came with the pedal covers (I did use the nylock nuts they included.

Working in a crazy hot garage (94F when I finished) I stuck the rubber matt on the clutch and brake pedals, trimmed the rubber to match the steel pedal shape, then clamped the new pedal covers onto the pedals with c-clamps (centered in all directions). Drilled four holes in each pedal and bolted the covers on with the socket screws. The rubber matts crushed a little so I got less than a 1/4" of thickness from the spacer idea, but the pedal covers are a bit thicker than the stock rubber covers so I probably got a good 1/4" of added pedal height.

Autovation gives you sheetmetal-style screws to merely screw into the plastic stock gas pedal. I thought this was a bit cheesy - and maybe not strong enough given the short length of the screws and the ribs on the stock plastic pedal. So what I did was grind/sand off the ribs, then in the two locations I could I used the same socket head screws as the other pedals (black in the picture) with nylock nuts on the gas pedal, then added in seven of the sheet metal-style screws (silver heads in the picture) so I have two great screws and seven questionable screws on the gas pedal (you cannot use "through" screws on the low half of the gas pedal as it is thicker and a nut on the back might hamper the travel).

Here is a picture of the finished install. Guess I should have vacuumed off the drilling debris before shooting the shot but you get the idea. BTW, the blue rubber bands are my solution to the gas pedal death rattle when you take your foot off of it while deccelerating.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte