Installing headers on Gen I - any tips?

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have bought a set of headers for my 93 and was wondering if there any tips/tricks to removing the factory manifolds and installing headers. Having a quick look I think the rear most bolts (against the firewall) seem to be the tricky ones.

Nick

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure your motor mounts are good before you start! When we installed mine, we didn't notice the engine was sitting lower than it should've been. Made the process 100x harder than it should've been!!

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure your motor mounts are good before you start! When we installed mine, we didn't notice the engine was sitting lower than it should've been. Made the process 100x harder than it should've been!!

Also watch when/after installing new mounts that it doesn't sit too high. Had one car, no hood clearance.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so i wasnt the only one with motor mount problems left side of engine my engine was pulling the mount screw rt threw the frame... we fixed it and re-enforced it with steel and a bigger washer... so what headers are you going with on your gen 1 ????

OP
OP
U

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a set of those "svs" copies off of ebay, theres no blower in the near future for my car, so for the price it was going to cost me to install the Gen II manifolds I have and then fab up or buy the flex pieces, I got these headers instead.

On first inspection they are very well made, welds are very nice, polishing is pretty good, the finishing work where the pipe meets the head flange could be a little better, but nothing I can't fix with a die grinder. It would have been nice if they had identified the tubes for you so you dont have to guess(they are slip on so I have 10 tubes, and 2 collectors)
I am also switching to a Roe side exhaust (might delete the cats now) and I also bought a polished /powdercoated and honed intake off of a forum member, so that will be going on aswell.

Nick

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
good luck! talking to a couple of guys who tried the slip ons they all said they leak they had baught old style svs headers ...