Installing new fuel filter and new battery

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally getting around to putting my car back on the road. It looks great in the garage but I'm sure it will feel better driving down the road. Missing 2 summers of driving is enough. Not this summer.

Needed a new battery as I got lazy and never trickle charged the old one. It was a Napa battery anyway. I always felt I let the car down by not going having a Mopar battery. I ordered up a Mopar battery and tried to get a Mopar fuel filter.

As you know the fuel filter is basically no longer serviced so an aftermarket one was ordered.

Fuel Filter part numbers are:

PartsMaster CH11
WIX 33325
FRAM G7398
73325 is another number you might use for cross-referencing.

Battery was easy. There is a great video here. I had already removed the wheel, liner, and battery cover. Only thing I needed was a 13mm for the battery tie down and I think a 13 or 14 for the battery terminals. I had an aftermarket bolt put in for the stereo.
Your size may differ.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...S-ACR-and-made-a-video-detailing-how-to-do-it.

Thanks to Endeka

Fuel filter was easy once the car is jacked up securely with the wheel and liner removed. Lying on your back and with adequate clearance just reach up and disengage the quick connects. I didn't soak mine. I just used my fist of fury and fingers of death.
The connectors were quite easy to remove. YMMV.

I undid the outer connector first leaving the 10mm bolt securely holding the filter in for more leverage. I then undid the bolt and from the bottom reached up and positioned the filter to a better position to pop off the last one. This one was the more difficult one but doable.

Open mouth to catch any fuel. My arm absorbed most of it. Please release pressure first. My car hasn't been pressurized for about a year or two so I was good. There still is fuel in the filter and gravity still works in my garage so prepare yourself with rags or the like.

Once it was removed ensure you have the correct filter and adjust the band if your filter is not fixed. At first I thought mine was in the wrong position but it slid down and was good to go.

Start in reverse order. Push firmly and carefully. You must hear a click. That is the sound of positive engagement. Listen and pull it back if in doubt. Do not proceed unless you hear it click. Bolt it back in. Tackle the remaining outer disconnect.

Enjoy the smell of petrol that you spilled moments earlier knowing that the filter is now changed.

Put all the stuff back you took off to gain access.

My liner and wheel was removed for this. I don't think I would want to do it without it being jacked up or with the liner in place. All the power to you if you attempt it without removing all that stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

Endeka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad it was helpful. Nice job with the fuel filter, I did that on my Z06 and it was a real ****** to get seated properly.

OP
OP
D

DanB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't stress enough to listen for a 'click'. That's the positive engagement you are looking for. It may seem like you are pushing it hard and you are done. I pulled it back just as hard without hearing a 'click' and it did come out.
Wouldn't want to experience it coming loose because I thought it was engaged. 2 clicks and a good pull test before you put everything together.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very help full post, I am going to do mine, seems like such a half ass design with the fuel lines with so much at stake, and they could not find a better place to put it.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally awesome write-up! My fuel filter has never been replaced. Just clicked over 80,000 miles and this has been one of those things in the back of my mind. Car runs perfect but something about having a 22 year old diaper on my baby's fuel system bothers me. I would think it is overdue for a change simply due to the age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper