Instructions/Directions to Carlisle

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saturday, July 7th , there will be a VCA Hospitality Tent at the All-Chrysler Nationals at Carlisle Fairgrounds in Carlisle , PA. If you are not pre registered , you can still register at the gate. You want to register for the show field. Cost is $45, which includes weekend admission for 2 people. Please specify Viper Club of America for your club affiliation. There is a contest for the Club with the most cars in attendance. We narrowly lose each year, last year 3 Vipers did not mention a club affiliation and we finished 3rd. When you get to the fairgrounds, you want to enter at Gate 3. The show runs Fri-Sat-Sun, but Saturday is the big day, and the one when all the Vipers show.

Please read the following directions carefully, Ron Hickey passed these on last year and this BACK ROAD ROUTE REALLY WORKS!

FROM WASHINGTON DC there are 3 possible routes. Believe it or not, they all have the same driving time to Carlisle.

(1) I-70 to I-81 north to Carlisle (take Exit 44 and follow signs to Fairgrounds – see below), or
(2) US-15 north to York Springs, PA-74/34 into Carlisle from the south (45-mph speed limit on 74/34, traffic in town)
(3) US-15 north to the Pa Turnpike, go one exit west and get off on US-11 (west into town). This option gives you 2 major delays -- the Carlisle exit off the 'Pike backs up, and then you begin the slow parade through town.

I suggest you take the first route (I-81) and follow these directions:

Directions to Carlisle, via I-81 from South

Take Exit 44 (Route 465)
(Follow signs to Carlisle Fairgrounds)
RIGHT on US-11
LEFT on College St (Rte 74)
Stay on College St to G Street (follow signs)
RIGHT on G Street
LEFT on West Street (no Fairgrounds sign)
RIGHT on K Street
Straight across Rte 34 into Gate 3

If you must come in on the Turnpike and US-11, here's how to miss the traffic:

Back Road Shortcut

(Misses in-town traffic and brings you in from the north)

From Pa Turnpike Exit:
Take US-11 North/East (away from Carlisle)
Turn LEFT on N Middlesex Rd (traffic light at Arby's)
LEFT on Clemson Drive
RIGHT at T onto Wolf Bridge Road
(Speed limit 35 -- Watch out for speed trap!)
LEFT on W Middlesex Road
LEFT onto Rte 34
As you come into Carlisle (from the North) you will see Gate 3 on your LEFT. Depending on traffic and time of day, the police may not let you turn LEFT at Gate 3; they may have you turn RIGHT on K Street, at which point you'll just follow traffic and loop around.

From I-81 US-11 Exit:
Take US-11 South/West (toward Carlisle)
Turn RIGHT on N Middlesex Rd (traffic light at Arby's)
LEFT on Clemson Drive
RIGHT at T onto Wolf Bridge Road
(Speed limit 35 -- Watch out for speed trap!)
LEFT on W Middlesex Road
LEFT onto Rte 34
As you come into Carlisle (from the North) you will see Gate 3 on your LEFT. Depending on traffic and time of day, the police may not let you turn LEFT at Gate 3; they may have you turn RIGHT on K Street, at which point you'll just follow traffic and loop around.

Leaving the show, you can retrace the shortcut to miss the in-town traffic, or head through town to I-81:

Leaving Fairgrounds using Shortcut to US-11

Exit Fairgrounds via Gate 3
RIGHT on Route 34
Watch for Turkey Hill store at Y (Rte 34 bears right, stay on 34)
Look for yellow double turn-off road sign on right.
Turn RIGHT on W Middlesex Rd
RIGHT at stop sign onto Wolf Bridge Rd
LEFT onto Clemson Drive
RIGHT onto N Middlesex Rd
At US-11, RIGHT takes you to Pa Turnpike, LEFT goes to I-81

Leaving Fairgrounds South thru Town to I-81

Exit Fairgrounds via Gate 3
Straight across Rte 34 onto K Street
LEFT onto West Street
Follow West Street until it hits US-11 (W High Street)
RIGHT on W High Street
Exit town
LEFT on Route 465 (look for "To I-81" signs)
Take I-81 South

FROM BALTIMORE you'll come up I-83 to Harrisburg and catch the Pennsylvania Turnpike and take it west to Carlisle. So follow the "Back Roads Shortcut" directions from the Pa Turnpike exit.

See you all there!
Lee Stubberfield
VCA President VA/MD/DE/DC