Insulation after fitting Hi-Flo cats

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This weekend I hope to finish installing my Bellanger headers,hi-flo cats,Borla system combination. When I refit the sill outers should I refit the insulation that sits around the cat and silencer. I don't mean that bit attached to the frame, just the bit that sits inside the sill. I hope the sill heat will be lower due to the mods but would it scorch the paint without the insulation?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joel:
This weekend I hope to finish installing my Bellanger headers,hi-flo cats,Borla system combination. When I refit the sill outers should I refit the insulation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Refit The Insulation. Heat and sound baffling.

ps. Joel....Please, may I bid for your NEXT buy?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, refit insulation. Also, the hotter you can keep those exhaust gases the faster they will flow. The OE exhaust manifold heat sheilding will re fit over the Belanger headers too. I'd advise refit it, although downside is you won't be able to view the nice new Belangers. I wouldn't leave 'em bare, the underhood suffers with excess heat as it is.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of observations on the Balanger headers. On my 94 the under hood temp is noticeably less even without the insulating shrouds.

There was also a comment in the very minimal install guide that suggested the any type of insulation over the headers would impact their longevity and/or warranty. I will try and find the exact wording.

With the Dynomax mufflers and Roe's cats the drop in sill temp was dramatic. There is no danger of a burn with the exception of the chrome tips. The sill typically does not get above 130 F and most areas are less.

With the headers and exhaust changes the car (on motor)consistantly dyno's around 400 rwhp and 475 rwftlb. The sound is also the way the car should have always sounded.

An interesting side note - I'm looking for a Gen II car and recently took one for a ride. The stock Gen II that I drove had noticeably less torque than the Gen I (on motor) with the exhausts.

Speaking of torque I'm now putting the finishing touches on one of BTR's NOS kits and the car now exceeds 700 rwftlb. Tom will be posting the dyno pulls in the next few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21