Difference between PCM 96 and 98 ???

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all.
can anyone tell me the difference between a 1996 pcm and a 1998…
mine has failed and have been hunting one for a year now.
I live in denmark, and found one in Swede.. they have a 1997 and a 1998 pcm.

is it plug and play if I buy and install it. …??

Anders Andrews.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Anders...sorry about your difficulties.

Just to better understand your situation, exactly what year/model is your Viper ?

I am asking since the thread title asks about 94 and 96, then the post asks about 96 and 98.

For instance, if your Viper is a 1996 GTS, I would lean toward buying the 1997 unit...since the 97 does not need to read downstream O2 sensors(at least in the USA model) but the 98 PCM does as I recall...which would likely give you a CEL (MIL).

Note: There are many different part numbers for PCM's...also European is different fron USA.

Was your Viper built as USA or Export (Europe,Canada)?

Also, have you considered asking Dan Lesser of Viper Specialty about testing and rebuilding your current PCM?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry. It’s was 2 am when I posted.
mine is a 96 from the us.
don’t think any models is from here. We don’t make any cars in Denmark anymore.
does the numbers help from both boxes.
the dealer in sweden has a 1997 pcm also.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
PCM's ("Module,Engine Controller) listed in the older, original parts manuals:

1996 JTEC USA 4763639

1996 JTEC Europe 4763808

1997 Federal, Canada 04848702AC

1997 Europe 04848703AC

1998 USA 04854704AC

1998. Export 04854706AB

The problem is whether or not performance issues or CEL's will arise with a PCM mismatch. I certainly do not know.

I would try to obtain a PCM as close to the model year of the Viper as possible.

I mentioned above consulting Dan Lesser at Viper Specialty Performance in Florida
716-912-5336

You might also want to speak with Kees Mets in The Netherlands
31-6-20302086

Good luck !!

Last edited:

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t make any cars in Denmark anymore.
They are all built in the US but some are made for export only as they have some parts that are different to meet the country regulations they are going to.

They built export vipers for Europe, Canada and Mexico.

So your assumption that is it a US market vehicle is not correct. They were marketed as Chrysler and not Dodge in Europe but I am not 100% that was throughout the whole production year.

Your VIN will tell you but is the speedometer in MPH or KM/H as the main scale like this:

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240428_091323_Adblock Browser.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240428_091323_Adblock Browser.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1998 pcm

Attachments

• B597F123-4BE9-4338-B223-4D23AC8CD5E6.jpeg
    B597F123-4BE9-4338-B223-4D23AC8CD5E6.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1997 pcm

Attachments

• 22D57E93-FBCB-42AD-9629-371C7CD8C555.jpeg
    22D57E93-FBCB-42AD-9629-371C7CD8C555.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1996 pcm.
power goes in. Nothing comes out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 9

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It appears to me that the1998 PCM is the slightly earlier European version and that the 1997 is a USA version.

However, I cannot tell for certain about the PCM from your car marker "790" as it does not match the parts manuals.

You may end up picking one (preferably on trial) and hoping that it works.

By the way, I see your Viper had emissions recall 725 completed, but that the car did not have the 998 steering rack and differential reinforcement recall completed...at least according to Chrysler's records.

Last edited:

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have new and used 1996 GTS PCMs.

I have good used 1997-2002 PCMS.

I have good used 1992-1995 PCMs

I have good used 1992-1995 ICMs.

OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears to me that the1998 PCM is the slightly earlier European version and that the 1997 is a USA version.

However, I cannot tell for certain about the PCM from your car marker "790" as it does not match the parts manuals.

You may end up picking one (preferably on trial) and hoping that it works.

By the way, I see your Viper had emissions recall 725 completed, but that the car did not have the 998 steering rack and differential reinforcement recall completed...at least according to Chrysler's records.

with my papers, that must show that mine was imported in about 2017.
so the best option would be the 1997 pcm.

had the diff renovated last year. Also every joint that makes it go straigh.. and 2 hubs.
needs paint, exhaust leaks fixed, new leather on steering wheel, sound system installed.
but it was cheep. The guy I bought it from was in prison. Only about 50k
to get a license plate, the tax is about 70k more.

And u have to fix it on your own, because nobody wants it at there garage, because of the warranty they have to give.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Short version. The internals of 1996, 1997 and 1998 PCM's are all different. In fact, there are two 1996 hardware variations and they are not interchangeable either.

I cannot recommend incorrect year applications.

Buy the correct modules. We can supply them all, with warranties, and without stories.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Short version. The internals of 1996, 1997 and 1998 PCM's are all different. In fact, there are two 1996 hardware variations and they are not interchangeable either.

I cannot recommend incorrect year applications.

Buy the correct modules. We can supply them all, with warranties, and without stories.

Hey, #metoo!!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey, #metoo!!
Until you have the ability to bench test, diagnose, repair, remanufacture, reproduce, relfash, recover, alter programming, and supply VIN written and SRI accurate while reciting every single board level change that occurred between variations and their effect on actual installations...

#NotMeToo!!

Big difference between selling used parts and hoping, and being a remanufacturer for the last two decades and knowing. But hey, drop me a line and maybe I'll buy out all of your used inventory and run it through the wringer too :)

vprtech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1996 pcm.
power goes in. Nothing comes out.
So I assume you have removed the back cover on C1 and then back probed pin 2 to check for power with key on and pin 22 for constant power? Also, have you checked both grounds at C1 on pins 31 and 32 ?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until you have the ability to bench test, diagnose, repair, remanufacture, reproduce, relfash, recover, alter programming, and supply VIN written and SRI accurate while reciting every single board level change that occurred between variations and their effect on actual installations...

#NotMeToo!!

Big difference between selling used parts and hoping, and being a remanufacturer for the last two decades and knowing. But hey, drop me a line and maybe I'll buy out all of your used inventory and run it through the wringer too :)
Since I guarantee all my parts, still #metoo. I highly doubt you can afford to buy me out, but thanks for the offer......................

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Since I guarantee all my parts, still #metoo. I highly doubt you can afford to buy me out, but thanks for the offer......................
To reference Tommy Boy... "If you want me to shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will... I have spare time."

Like I said, one of us knows what they are selling, the other is guessing. And that's fine, but the customer should be aware of the difference.

And if you wanted unreasonable sums for them, sure, "can't afford" and "won't pay" become synonymous. But let's be realistic here... you have nowhere near the controller inventory that I do in Florida let alone what is stored in NY, so to claim "can't afford" is a smidge, shall we say, "ambitious".

Last edited:

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reference Tommy Boy... "If you want me to shit in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will... I have spare time."

Like I said, one of us knows what they are selling, the other is guessing. And that's fine, but the customer should be aware of the difference.

And if you wanted unreasonable sums for them, sure, "can't afford" and "won't pay" become synonymous. But let's be realistic here... you have nowhere near the controller inventory that I do in Florida let alone what is stored in NY, so to claim "can't afford" is a smidge, shall we say, "ambitious".
You seem to ASSume a lot, LOL

OP
OP
A

Andrews

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mess around, Have it professionally fixed.
Hi.
I did that last year. they are known to be one of the best tuners I Denmark. But they gave up, billed me a grand, and told me to pick up the car. They had it 3-4 months.
there are under 15 of gen 2 in all of Denmark. So not a car people here are used to fix.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi.
I did that last year. they are known to be one of the best tuners I Denmark. But they gave up, billed me a grand, and told me to pick up the car. They had it 3-4 months.
there are under 15 of gen 2 in all of Denmark. So not a car people here are used to fix.
Send it here, and I can tell you what the story actually is.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.
Tuner and PCM/electronic dude repairing (i.e. desoldering/resoldering components) are not even remotely close.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The whole car.
or just the pcm. ?
what’s the price on that. ?
Just the PCM. Email me @ [email protected] so I can get all the info I need from you.

Cost wise, there is absolutely no way I can tell you anything at all without seeing the PCM, but my guess is that it will be a mess of stories and tampering leading to a replacement given how long this has been going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06Quad