insurance deny coverage blown viper?

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my 99gts a few months ago and looking at buying a supercharged viper. My question is, can the inusurance company deny insuring my car with a blower or nitrous? I have no accidents or tickets in the past 15 years. They always take pics when I buy a new car, so thats why I ask? Thanks for any info or who will insure me if I go this route.

OP
OP

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have any of you had an issues with this with them taking pics? All I want is the car to be insured, if they don't want to cover the blower and mods, thats fine. So will they just insure you at a higher rate?

OP
OP

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I have your agents name and # plumcrazy? Anyone else that has their Viper with nitrous and/or supercharger, please let me know and the name and # would be great!! Nationwide, my insurer of 15 years, said they would allow the supercharger, but no nitrous? I don't want to get in an accident and deny my coverage because I didn't let them know, not worth the hassle, money saved, and dishonest. Thank you so much for all your help!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My question is, can the inusurance company deny insuring my car with a blower or nitrous? I have no accidents or tickets in the past 15 years. They always take pics when I buy a new car, so thats why I ask?.........Nationwide, my insurer of 15 years, said they would allow the supercharger, but no nitrous? I don't want to get in an accident and deny my coverage because I didn't let them know, not worth the hassle, money saved, and dishonest. ...........
I was reading thru the thread, getting ready to post my contrary "YES THEY CAN DENY YOU" answer, when I see the later post with the REST of the story: They already DID!!"
"ASKED AND ANSWERED" By them, and you in fact: "not worth the hassle, money saved, and dishonest."

Superchargers have been around for decades, in many old and new OE applications. And in automotive, commercial trucking, and aviation. "SAFE."

NOS is considered by them to be hazardous, dangerous, and never has been an OE option in anything except a dental chair.

Last edited:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The way you describe the car might be a reason. Don't ever brag about HP on the car to insurance companies. I know with my experience, you want to present it as "improving" the car/ show.

OP
OP

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im just telling the truth, not bragging about hp, don't know where you get that

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought my third Viper and it is Supercharged. My insurance company looked at the car and had no problem insuring it, but it does not have Nitrous. I added $25,000 of Custom Vehicle Coverage. You might want to think about it. If the car is Totaled or Stolden, the insurance company will pay you book value and nothing for your extras.

OP
OP

4207henri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help, ins. company talking to underwriter and they are looking into it.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try classifying your Viper under the "show car" insurance classification.. Many ins. companies have this category but probably won't suggest it... My ins. co.'s requirements are;
-drive 4000 miles or less a year
-get car appraised.
-photo

- I listed the s/c, nos and all the extras on my 01 GTS
- Also listed "Custom Street Serpent body" on my 06 cpe.
- And "mildly modified" on the slate 06 cpe.

Best part, Now I am insured for all the mods. and value of all three modified cars. Believe it or not, my bill for insuring the three cars is just a little more than I was previosly paying for one car per year...

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is 1 car that came with OE nitrous. Saleen n2o Focus. All piping already done, the car was prepped for it and it even came with the bottle. Only had to fill the bottle and connect it. Why on a focus I dont know but it was sold brand new from dealers in that fashion.

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My insurance is from Grundy Worldwide.
It is an agreed value policy which means that is something happens to my car they pay out what we agreed to previously.
There are rules but like 2500 miles a year and you cant use it as a daily driver but they are very cheap and I have heard nothing but praise from other people about them.

PM me if you want more details.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery