Insurance

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone use Grundy car insurance? I called for a quote--can save 800.00 per year. No restriction on mileage and no deductables. Only catch is I must have another vehicle for daily driving. John

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grundy is great as long as you have a daily driver newer then the car you want to insure.

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It must be newer? They didn't specify that-- only must have a daily driver. How can I have a newer than 06 vehicle?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
grundy has covered everything from my 06 lotus to my 61 triumph, and a few vipers in between. no issues with them, but no claims either.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I got my latest '05 Viper I called everyone for a quote - my daily driver company (Mercury) would not write the Viper. Anyway, I went with Grundy since they had the best rate and coverages. But my daily driver is a '99 and my wife's is a '06 so I don't think your daily driver needs to be newer...just need to have one. Other companies I called did require a newer daily driver though.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have Grundy as well. I believe it states all licensed drivers in the family must have their own cars or something to that effect. I'm saving over $600.00 a year over Geico, and this is with agreed value of 60K on my car. Geico did not offer agreed value.

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called Grundy back -- everyday driver does not need to be newer--like Viper jon says-- must have a vehicle for all drivers. I'm saving 800.00 a year over Allstate. John

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
like mentioned, only a car for every driver, besides the one insured with them. i'm saving $600/year by switching, and get 0 deductible and agreed value.
can anyone speak to how they are when it comes to claims?

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question Vinny. Say, are you Vinny bag o donuts? kidding, John, in Atlanta too

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just called to get a qoute for my Viper and Prowler, there qoute is a 1615/per year savings along with 0 deductible and agreed value...

2001 Plymouth Prowler
2005 Dodge Viper

Grundy's qoute $1715.00
Hagerty's qoute $2650.00
My current insur.$3331.00 with a $1000.00 deductible

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so, lots of new business for Grundy, and Viper brothers and sisters save money., which is a good thing. But.......does anyone know about their claims service, and their service after the sale?

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recieved some feed back from Prowler Online, there's quite a few people there that have Grundy Worldwide and said that they each had a claim and was handle quite well, just FYI....Bill

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with Grundy, for the Viper, Prowler, and Porsche 996 cabriolet. Total was $1909 for all 3 with no deductible. It saves me $3539. a year with a $500 deductible.

I was told however that they do not cover track events or Drivers education events. What are you doing for these events? does someone offer riders to cover weekend events?

Todd

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone use Grundy car insurance? I called for a quote--can save 800.00 per year. No restriction on mileage and no deductables. Only catch is I must have another vehicle for daily driving. John

Does anyone have a phone number, email, or web site for Grundy?

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Grundy today and they told me they would only cover my 06 Srt for show only and no coverage to my daily driver (07 F250) This doesnt jive with what Im hearing.Can anyone help me out? They also told me no Robbie works there LOL

Joe

Chuckdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to be really careful to read the FINE print with these collector insurance companies. Some have mileage limits, and even if they don't they question why you were driving the car if it wasn't to or from a car show. Hagarty, Grundy, and others have these low rates because most of their business comes from guys who just wash their cars and wait for the payday at Barret Jackson in 20 years, or the next car show.

They won't do agreed value on a non-collector or non-exotic. Some won't insure you if you have forced induction. They definitely won't cover you for track use. Lastly, because so few people use them for insurance, you're not likely going to hear any bad feedback from someone that didn't get their claim handled properly (unless you comb the boards - which I did - and ended up going with one of the major companies simply because I plan on actually driving my car and not just to a sanctioned show...)

Use with caution - If it's worth the crap shoot - go for it.

chuck

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There online quote system just asks for a liability coverage amount and lets you pick a agree value for both cars and then gives a quote. I think its worth checking out for a year.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a crap shoot if it fits your needs. If you are lying to them about your actual car usage, maybe so.

Many Viper owners are primarily weekend only type users. This insurance is not meant for cars used at the track, or daily drivers. Even your standard carriers like Geico probably won't cover you for a track accident. Grundy does not state you have to going to or from a car show, just occasional recreational use which is exactly what me and many others have it for.

They will write an agreed value policy for Vipers. I have it. So either it is a collectable or an exotic. There is no specific yearly mileage limitation.

If you are going to lie to them about track usage, or using it as a daily driver, that would be stupid wouldn't it.

Chuckdoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point was: use with caution. Track use is a no-brainer. But how about daily driver? Most Viper owners use it as their secondary car, but still have more than just weekend use. If I get rear-ended in the parking lot of a grocery store, am I covered? Let's hope the Grudy rep agrees this was 'recreational use' at the grocery store. How about driving to work on a nice Spring day? I've heard of claims having to go to arbitration because going to work isn't recreational.

Grundy and Hagarty wasn't a big monetary savings over my current multi-car plan - so I didn't personally pursue it. But if I was going to, I'd get some of these specific circumstances covered before I assumed they would be. By all means, don't lie about your use.

Cheers,

Chuckdoc

OP
OP
B

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting the paper work from Grundy, so I'll let you all know the details. On the Speed channel last Sunday, the Grundy rep stated "you cannot use as a daily driver, but can use it after work for dinners, etc. He also stated that you can drive around the country if you wish---again, if you have a daily driver. When I spoke to Grundy, they reiterated those requirements. Their application should be arriving soon. OH, and they DID say it was for collision, liability and comprehensive with no deductables. John, hopefully saving me and you guys some money. If this is true---buy me a beer.

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
got an application in the mail today. there is an acknowledgement of use form, that asks you to sign saying "will not be used primarily for general transportation. It will not be used for back up transportation or for errands. It will not be driven to work or school or used for business or commercial purposes".
since i use it for backup, errands, and drive it to the office from time to time, i don't feel comfortable signing this form, so i am passing.........

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 ****** POS DD didn't qualify as "new" enough for them to insure my 02.

They said that if the pos was in the shop, I would drive the Viper in the rain / snow etc.........yeah right....LOL!!