Intake Gaskets??

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of these motors have been known to have bad gaskets and loose intake bolts. The problems is most prevalent in the 96 GTS models, but others will occasionally have it.

Your car does NOT idle at 400 rpm. The first mark above the stop is 500. Check closely on the size of the tick marks and you should see an idle speed of around 740 rpm.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jesse, re-read Dean's correct assessment: The tach does not start at ZERO rpm.....The "Zero" mark is 450 or 500, so you are likley idling at 750.

Slight correction: The TSB on IM gasket leaks was 1997s built before 11/18/97.... so almost all 1997s. But IF a 1998 or a 96 had an IM gasket replaced during or slightly after the TSB period, (when dealers were instructed to pull all bad gaskets) your Viper could have gotten a bad gasket.

The 'decel die out' you speak of is annoying and NORMAL and emissions-ralated. the ISM steps-down to idle from Throttle-On in 2 stages, 3.5 sec apart. ANNOYING esp when you dont WANT another lift !!!

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I does not sound like you have an intake leak. When an intake leak occurs the idle stick high. I would suggest you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and restart and let idle for a while. Then test ride shut off, let it cool down and do the same again. The viper has an adaptive computer and needs to find where idle should be. It may take a few rides before it finds it correctly.

Your oil leak is the more than likely your timing cover gasket. The leak on the drivers side top port where most of them have a casting burr. I have done 6 viper oil leaks all the same spot. Some even leak coolant into the oil for the same reason which I have seen miss diagnosed as head gasket leaks.

If your battery is weak I have found some cars will search for Idle also. As the loose just enough memory to not have the correct idle count.

As far as loose intake bolts with a torque spec of 95 inch/lbs the will easily loosen with temperature changes.

Has any engine work been done on the car ?

Thanks

Mike Adams

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
25 lbs? I think the manual says 10 lbs. I don't think its good to overtighten, the intake gaskets have a imbeddied silicon seal that is supposed to be "spongy". I had my head gaskets replaced on my 94 in March. Last week I noticed my idle was hanging. After talking with Chuck Tator he advised I spray carb cleaner around the intake and see if the idle changes. It did (got slower then sped up) My bolts were loose too. But tightning did not correct the problem. I am replacing the gaskets tomorrow. try the carb cleaner trick.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should find out if your intake has been done once. Sound like the bolts may be cross threaded or stipped. If the are stripped I suggest useing new bolts that are a bit longer. Take your car to an experienced viper person and have the intake pulled anyway. A good tech should be able to do an intake re and re in less than one hr. Plus re threading which ever hole are necessary.

At the same time have him clean your oil up to keep an eye on the leak

Thanks

Mike Adams

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_