Interesting noise I heard today

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was out in the '01 RT/10 on my way back from breakfast and heard something I have not heard before. From a dead stop pulling away in 1st gear from a stop light I heard a noise that I can only describe as sounding like metal hitting metal. I only notice the noise when if first from a dead stop. Sounds like the clutch engaging first gear? Anyone have any ideas. Could the clutch be going? Something with the tranny? :confused:

All fluids on the car were changed on the car in '08. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car makes that noise every time I start driving it, only does it once and sounds like a hi pitched ping. Have asked many people about it, no one seems to know exactly what it is.

BTW my car has been doing it since I bought it new in 99 with 5 miles on it, so its nothing I would worry about.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Check your driveshaft bolts....I could see the harmonics of the noise traveling down that cavernous trans tunnel and making it sound like the problem is elsewhere. Had that happen on an older vehicle of mine. Also check your exhaust mounts underneath the side sill closest to where you think the noise is coming from.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your driveshaft bolts....I could see the harmonics of the noise traveling down that cavernous trans tunnel and making it sound like the problem is elsewhere. Had that happen on an older vehicle of mine. Also check your exhaust mounts underneath the side sill closest to where you think the noise is coming from.

What he said. Also check to see if your U-Joints are going out. How many miles on the car? One way to see if it's the U-Joints is to gently try to move forward with the e-brake on, hear it 'ping' and then gently try to go in reverse. If you hear it "ping" or "pop" once in each direction, it's probably the U-Joints.

If it is the U-Joints, definitely have them replaced ASAP. As they wear, the driveshaft will go out of balance and that will tear up the seals to your differential and/or tranny. That will lead to fluid loss, and we all know what comes next...

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havea clunk on mine, I usually hear it the first time I move in any direction, forward or back. Could it be a rotor not sized right for the bolts and it slides a bit? I didn't put the rotors on.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is just over 16k on the car. I will have to get the car on the lift to see it I can check the U-Joint that way.
What he said. Also check to see if your U-Joints are going out. How many miles on the car? One way to see if it's the U-Joints is to gently try to move forward with the e-brake on, hear it 'ping' and then gently try to go in reverse. If you hear it "ping" or "pop" once in each direction, it's probably the U-Joints.

If it is the U-Joints, definitely have them replaced ASAP. As they wear, the driveshaft will go out of balance and that will tear up the seals to your differential and/or tranny. That will lead to fluid loss, and we all know what comes next...

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone one for the ideas. If you have any other suggestion keep them coming. I will have to get the car out again and see if I can repeat what I was hearing today. Like I had mentioned, I heard it in first gear and notice it the most as the clutch is engaging first gear. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your motor and tranny mounts if no one has mentioned it yet. Rear hub nut torque. Suspension and diff mounting fastener torque. Be a good time to get the torque wrench and service manual out and give the entire chassis a once over whilst enjoying your favorite iced beverage.

Oh, sorry. You live in Ohio and end of July means Winter. Make mine a hot chocolate! :lmao:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. I just picked dup a '01 service manual so now might be the time to put it use. :) Thanks for the input.
Check your motor and tranny mounts if no one has mentioned it yet. Rear hub nut torque. Suspension and diff mounting fastener torque. Be a good time to get the torque wrench and service manual out and give the entire chassis a once over whilst enjoying your favorite iced beverage.

Oh, sorry. You live in Ohio and end of July means Winter. Make mine a hot chocolate! :lmao:

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

So I took the car out again tonight and now I think i'm more confused than when I first heard the noise. Now the noise sounds to me more like the natural creaking of the car more than anything else. Doesn't sound metallic in nature at all tonight.

One reason i'm starting to think this is that when I drive on my street which is pretty level I cannot reproduce the noise, however when I turn off of my street (which is fairly uneven) I can hear the noise. I tried going forward a little and then going in reverse (on my street which as mentioned is pretty level) with just the pull of the clutch engaging and also tried it with the gas pedal and was not able to reproduce the noise either way.

Like I said however when turing I heard the noise but again the turns are a little bumpy. At one point it sounded as if the noise was coming from under my seat. I will still put it up on the rack to look under it and see what I can see but i'm starting to think i'm over reacting (I'm sure the wife thinks so ;)) but what can I say, its my first viper and I just don't want it to start falling apart on me. :)

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I plan on getting the car on the lift this week. Possibly tomorrow.
Ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm pivots and all of the other suspension goodies... CHECK THEM

Or get a louder exhaust or a rap CD.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine makes a creaking noise coming from the side sill (passenger) and rear panels. Does it when turning or hitting bumps. Sounds like body oanels rubbing/ flexing. Cannot find it either. I'm going to remove some of the cars bottom shields and see if I can narrow it down. Someone suggested it was the center skid plate/ flex plate making the noise.

It's very noticable with the top up.
Keep us posted.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Plum. Anything I should specifically be looking for? I hope to get the car up on the lift tomorrow. and check everything out. I don't have a torque wrench but I have a buddy that should have one so maybe he can come over this weekend and help me out.
mine made a sound like that a day or so before the lower control arm snapped.

take a good look at this thread to know where to look. most of the ones i have heard of breaking, all broke in the same place.

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...nt-lower-arm-just-snaped-how-does-happen.html

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**UPDATE 2**

Got the car up on the lift today and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Gonna get a torque wrench out and start seeing if the issue can be resolved with that.....:)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
juts notice where the upper control arms break. they all seem o do it at the exact same place. its going to be a hairline crack so it might be tough to see. not sure if its that but its worth a look

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
**UPDATE 3**

Took the viper to my Viper tech and had the axle nuts re-torqued. Still hear this noise. On the phone with "The Wizard" tomorrow to see what else we can come up with.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there is a loose nut behind the steering wheel...

=D

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I worried about a "cloink" sound once on my GEN 1 and called the Wizard, he asked if it sounded a little like somebody is smashig with a hammer on the chassis, once in reverse and once in forward. it was and he told me not to worry, this is normal. But to be sure I had to check the torque of a couple of bolts. It still does it some bits, but I barely notice it.

When you hear it very good...you're driving too slow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc